Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] FC Barcelona statement on the Super League

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Well then I look forward to actually going to games!

As for the reasons for the success of Barcelona, I cant agree. If we take a look at "peak Barca", Peps 2011 winners, they had this lineup:

2011 CL
Valdes - own product

Dani Alves - €23m
Javier Mascherano - €24m
Gerard Pique - €5m
Eric Abidal - €9m

Sergio Busquets - own product
Xavi - own product
Andres Iniesta - own product

David Villa - €40m
Lionel Messi - own product
Pedro - own product

While by no means cheap, its still "only" €40m (or one David Villa) more expensive than the Brighton lineup starting against Chelsea this week, and then we should remember that Brighton probably got one of the cheapest teams in the Premier League, and it was certainly significantly cheaper than the Manchester United side they were facing. The reason behind Barcelonas successful history is not money, but the youth academy. In each of their successful eras you will find a ton of La Masia youth products.

Barcelona fans are in full acceptance mode at the moment. Bartomeu destroyed the youth academy in order to buy more players and the current Koeman side of about 13 senior players and the rest being young players sits well with them. The fans are behind the team a lot more than in recent years. But their "acceptance" that they will have a very rough time competing for titles does not change their economical reality where they have more than €1b in debts with about €700m of them to be paid preferably yesterday. Everyone is aware of this and the "just sell some players" thing is not working, no one is paying for Barcelona players. To get rid of Luis Suarez they had to pay his full wage and release him on a free transfer, just saving some win bonuses. They need to get money from somewhere to survive, and to me - while I despise the Super League thing - it remains completely understandable that Laporta wanted to join the Super League and get that much needed - more so than wanted - immediate €300-400m cash injection.

40 million ten years ago must be worth at least double that now in a constantly inflationary transfer market. Meanwhile lil ole Brighton were setting a transfer record by spending about £2 million on CMS, who turned out to be useless.

And you still haven't answered how a club who charges its members 100 Euros for a season ticket can afford to splurge what they did on Coutinho, literally signing him from another one of the "big six" supposedly rolling in Premier League money.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

As for the reasons for the success of Barcelona, I cant agree. If we take a look at "peak Barca", Peps 2011 winners, they had this lineup:

2011 CL
Valdes - own product

Dani Alves - €23m
Javier Mascherano - €24m
Gerard Pique - €5m
Eric Abidal - €9m

Xavi - own product

David Villa - €40m
Pedro - own product

While by no means cheap, its still "only" €40m (or one David Villa) more expensive than the Brighton lineup starting against Chelsea this week, and then we should remember that Brighton probably got one of the cheapest teams in the Premier League, and it was certainly significantly cheaper than the Manchester United side they were facing. The reason behind Barcelonas successful history is not money, but the youth academy. In each of their successful eras you will find a ton of La Masia youth products.

Barcelona fans are in full acceptance mode at the moment. Bartomeu destroyed the youth academy in order to buy more players and the current Koeman side of about 13 senior players and the rest being young players sits well with them. The fans are behind the team a lot more than in recent years. But their "acceptance" that they will have a very rough time competing for titles does not change their economical reality where they have more than €1b in debts with about €700m of them to be paid preferably yesterday. Everyone is aware of this and the "just sell some players" thing is not working, no one is paying for Barcelona players. To get rid of Luis Suarez they had to pay his full wage and release him on a free transfer, just saving some win bonuses. They need to get money from somewhere to survive, and to me - while I despise the Super League thing - it remains completely understandable that Laporta wanted to join the Super League and get that much needed - more so than wanted - immediate €300-400m cash injection.

Sure, and **** over the rest of football in the process. Debts like that are inexcusable and we are not going to roll over and have our tummies tickled to save Barcelona.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
40 million ten years ago must be worth at least double that now in a constantly inflationary transfer market. Meanwhile lil ole Brighton were setting a transfer record by spending about £2 million on CMS, who turned out to be useless.

And you still haven't answered how a club who charges its members 100 Euros for a season ticket can afford to splurge what they did on Coutinho, literally signing him from another one of the "big six" supposedly rolling in Premier League money.

Double I dont know, but yes would be more now. But compare it to the other big clubs back in 2011 and its still a very cheap eleven.

As for the second question (genuine question: whats the point of it?), they obviously couldnt really afford it (but did it anyway). A 99k stadium, one of the best TV deals in football, some nice sponsorship deals and as probably the the most popular club in the world they also sell a shit load of merchandise and licenses and whatnot also obviously makes them the highest income football club in the world. Unfortunately for them no one really knows how much ended up in the pockets of Bartomeu, Rossell and their shady agent buddies.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border

2011 CL
Valdes - own product

Dani Alves - €23m
Javier Mascherano - €24m
Gerard Pique - €5m
Eric Abidal - €9m

Xavi - own product

David Villa - €40m
Pedro - own product

If you continue to write well written, sensible and knowledgeable posts you will be thrown off this board.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Far as I’m concerned they deserve to go under.

Can’t keep spending and spending and spending and then when you don’t have any money try and bully your way to increased revenue in a closed shop greed league.

They have cheated their way to recent success and now need to pay the price.

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
€100 for a season ticket? I don't think so. That would be the cost of socio membership, nothing to do with getting into the game.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

2011 CL
Valdes - own product

Dani Alves - €23m
Javier Mascherano - €24m
Gerard Pique - €5m
Eric Abidal - €9m

Xavi - own product

David Villa - €40m
Pedro - own product
Firstly, the purchase fee for a player is but one bit of their financial cost. They don't work for free. Plenty of times we'll see great players for whom Brighton can afford the fee, but we all know their wages are well out of our budget.
Secondly, you're comparing a team in 2011 vs a team in 2020/21, which is ridiculous.
And there's plenty more:

I don't think Alves was €23m. This is from his wiki: "He joined Barcelona for €32.5 million, becoming the third-most expensive defender of all-time."
Ibrahimovic isn't in your list: He was a Barcelona player at the time, costing €70 million (later sold for €24m)
You also don't show players like Chygrynskiy, who joined Barcelona for a fair wack, and then went back to his old club, leaving Barcelona a loss.

So not only have you ignored wages, you've also got your figures wrong and failed to include some expensive players, as well as comparing years a decade apart. And also, you're ignoring all the spending in the years before. Back in the 80s they paid big money (at the time, but no doubt you'll want to point out we're currently spending more) for people like Lineker and Mark Hughes. Yes it's good that they invested in their academy, but you're kidding yourself if you don't think they also spent on players and wages through the years.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Double I dont know, but yes would be more now. But compare it to the other big clubs back in 2011 and its still a very cheap eleven.

As for the second question (genuine question: whats the point of it?), they obviously couldnt really afford it (but did it anyway). A 99k stadium, one of the best TV deals in football, some nice sponsorship deals and as probably the the most popular club in the world they also sell a shit load of merchandise and licenses and whatnot also obviously makes them the highest income football club in the world. Unfortunately for them no one really knows how much ended up in the pockets of Bartomeu, Rossell and their shady agent buddies.

The point of it was in 2018 it was Barca and Madrid signing players from the well funded Premier League and obviously living beyond their means. So they deserve pretty much every thing they've got. Although...

€100 for a season ticket? I don't think so. That would be the cost of socio membership, nothing to do with getting into the game.

Looks like someone disagrees with your assessment of how cheap their STs are anyway. Certainly doesn't fit with what I've paid for one off match tickets.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Apparently not 100 any more, gallopped in the last couple of seasons. This is from 18/19:

0_1513882.jpg

Without bothering to look it up I'm guessing its still cheaper than watching someone hoof it to Ashley Barnes next season.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Looks like someone disagrees with your assessment of how cheap their STs are anyway. Certainly doesn't fit with what I've paid for one off match tickets.

Sometimes when you buy something you think "wow this is expensive" or perhaps less commonly "wow this is cheap", and those opinions are all very exciting, but when you go to the counter to pay, it will cost what it costs. Yes, I was slightly outdated and the cheaper tickets now costs about 150 instead but does not deter from the point all that much, does it? (unless you want it to).

As for one off tickets you are a tourist going to a tourist city to watch a tourist attraction. Expecting it to "fit" with the deal some local, technically a co-owner, gets after waiting ten years on a waiting list is... cute.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Sometimes when you buy something you think "wow this is expensive" or perhaps less commonly "wow this is cheap", and those opinions are all very exciting, but when you go to the counter to pay, it will cost what it costs. Yes, I was slightly outdated and the cheaper tickets now costs about 150 instead but does not deter from the point all that much, does it? (unless you want it to).

buggered if i know what point is trying to be made about cheap concession season tickets. :shrug:

fundamentally Barca and friends are paying far too much for players and that is causing the financial problems. the solution is to cut costs, not destroy the concept of competitive leagues, and not to discard their "legacy" fans that make them what they are. anyone who doesnt get that probably doesnt understand football culture.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Have just read statement. A worry they still believe in it and are not going away. My guess is they may think it is acceptable if they can come up with something that doesnt guarantee a place for so many. The worry is when they come back they will be talking to same PL owners

Lostgull

Mar 16, 2019
And it is also a very small amount of restricted view seats within the ground.

A quick look at the Barca website shows a much clearer view of the costs

https://www.fcbarcelona.com/en/tickets/football/pack-temporada

I am actually a season ticket holder at the Camp Nou. Soci membership costs around 180€ and my seat, which is the cheapest in the ground, is around €140/ season. This includes all league, CL and Copa del Rey games. What's more you can sell you seats back to the club for around 50% of the ticket price to take off the following season. I actually think as a result of this it only costed about €25 euros for this season as I missed 3 games last season.

Admittedly the top regular seats are about 7x the price for a season, but it's stupidly cheap.

RE the statement, it is clear posturing by the club at the moment to appear not to be sabotaging the ESL, and any contracts they've signed. They know it most likely won't pass the member vote and they can walk away penalty free.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
The guy is full of ****. No clue what he's talking about. Doesn't support the Albion, supports a manager (bit weird but whatever). Fills his posts with irrelevant and inaccurate information. Moron.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here