Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] FC Barcelona statement on the Super League

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
What a ridiculous and pathetic statement.

"It is sometimes better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Immensely disappointing.

Having been to the Nou Camp and been sold the story of the community club with its basketball and water polo teams, being on the "right" side in the Civil War and doing a huge amount for the local community they've shown that their financial model means that they will **** all of that off as soon as they're in trouble,

My first football weekender post Covid will be to Germany. :censored: Barca.

Well as in all of this, it isn't the club that should be blamed per ce, it's the current owners.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Not sure if its better or worse than the "oops, we didnt know you'd be mad, sorry..." bullshit the English clubs expressed.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Think Barcelona and Real Madrid are desperate for this to happen as it may be the only way they can hang on financially. Perhaps they should just play each other .... how boring would that be.

Of course they are, but listening to Perez BS interview, he said "football really needs it"..... er no they dont, you really need JP Morgans cash because you've living beyond your means for years.

It has nothing to do with whats best for football and it is only about the money......

Who honestly believes either Barca or Madrid really would prefer the ESL if the CL offered them more reddies?

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Immensely disappointing.

Having been to the Nou Camp and been sold the story of the community club with its basketball and water polo teams, being on the "right" side in the Civil War and doing a huge amount for the local community they've shown that their financial model means that they will **** all of that off as soon as they're in trouble,

Yes I’m the same. I’ve always been a bit of a Barca fanboy. Sucked in by the Cruyff legend and legacy and the Guardiola side is the greatest I’ve ever seen play football, but I’ve gone right off them now.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
As suspected, Real and Juve were THE driving force behind the whole thing, 3 years in the making.

Barca are seen as followers due to their debt.

Even now Perez has the biased media and Real supporters on his side, they love the bloke. They see Perez as “a freedom fighter against the corrupt cabal of Fifa, Uefa, La Liga, the RFEF and the VAR”.

A far cry from independently minded and traditional English club supporters.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/apr/22/florentino-perez-the-emperor-who-wanted-more-but-lost-for-once

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Always thought highly of Barca......but......after the esl crap and reading that....those in charge are tossers....**** em, hope they collapse in a avalanche of dent

Immensely disappointing.

Disappointing indeed but in their case its not really greed, its a question of survival. They are desperate.

This is the second time Laporta gets the job to clear the largest debt in football. Last time it took, I think, six years, this time it could take double that. Incredibly difficult situation and I find it hard to blame Laporta for doing absolutely anything to clean up the chaos Rossell & Bartomeu created.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Disappointing indeed but in their case its not really greed, its a question of survival. They are desperate.

This is the second time Laporta gets the job to clear the largest debt in football. Last time it took, I think, six years, this time it could take double that. Incredibly difficult situation and I find it hard to blame Laporta for doing absolutely anything to clean up the chaos Rossell & Bartomeu created.

Barca and RM can survive though, they just have to cut back and drastically change their spend culture.

Something a lot of clubs should start thinking about. Can’t afford to keep Messi or any other first team stars? Too bad. Play the youth, Live within your means, like everyone else’s business has to.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

This.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010

Nah, cop out. They have many options to cut their cloth accordingly, I have lots of experience of this in ftse companies, and yes, often it takes years. They chose their quick route, and now are rightly shamed. You and others may be understanding, fine. More than a club, nope

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
As suspected, Real and Juve were THE driving force behind the whole thing, 3 years in the making.

Barca are seen as followers due to their debt.

Even now Perez has the biased media and Real supporters on his side, they love the bloke. They see Perez as “a freedom fighter against the corrupt cabal of Fifa, Uefa, La Liga, the RFEF and the VAR”.

A far cry from independently minded and traditional English club supporters.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/apr/22/florentino-perez-the-emperor-who-wanted-more-but-lost-for-once

It was always going to be the case that the clubs started pointing at the others, trying to be better than the rest, just followers, not the initiators. So what. They chose to rewrite the essence of football competition for their own good, whether they were the first or twelfth. **** all of them

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It was always going to be the case that the clubs started pointing at the others, trying to be better than the rest, just followers, not the initiators. So what. They chose to rewrite the essence of football competition for their own good, whether they were the first or twelfth. **** all of them

On Monday the top UEFA official revealed Perez, Agnelli and Woodward as the back stabbing snakes in the grass.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

anything including not spending so much?

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Barca and RM can survive though, they just have to cut back and drastically change their spend culture.

Something a lot of clubs should start thinking about. Can’t afford to keep Messi or any other first team stars? Too bad. Play the youth, Live within your means, like everyone else’s business has to.

But I don't think either will survive. Both will be gone in their present form within the next year or two, (though maybe they can use the Palace handbook to reform in some capacity, no idea how that works in Spain)

Three reasons I think that.

Firstly, their liabilities can't be immediately minimised in the manner you suggest, football contracts run over the longer term.
Secondly, I think the price of servicing their enormous debt will increase as economies suffer in the immediate post covid years and lenders increasingly doubt debtors ability to pay and raise rates to cover the risk
Thirdly ... and most importantly ... the first step to solving a problem is admitting it exists. They are blaming everyone else, denying the problem, but still signing big players, like Alaba and giving out big contracts when they should be tightening their belt.

The only saving grace for those two clubs is that I have no doubt the Spanish government will bail them out if needed. Then they will go of splurging the cash again

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here