Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Favourites Pubs of 2014

It's a decent enough pub but I'd be interested in what it does other than act as a meeting point asnd a place to drink
My experience of meeting people there is that there are always other people in the place who turn out to be worth talking to. That's what makes a visit to a pub worthwhile. The Cyclist regularly delivers against this criterion. And it's why the John Harvey Tavern in Lewes has been nominated. And, no doubt, other places too.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
What? Even when Ron Copper ran it? He may have been a legend in the world of English traditional music, but that didn't get in the way of him running one of the most miserable pubs you could hope to find.

The Queen Vic has always been different. When the St Dunstan's holiday makers came in during Sussex fortnight the lounge bar used to get lively. I blame the Pompey Royal.

I'd put it as a decent boozer these days. Not a personal favourite of 2014 for me - but if I still lived that way it would probably be my choice.

Julio

Feb 18, 2009
Based on the premise that I want to be able to walk to and from the pub, on a regular basis, top 3 this year:
Wandering Goose - Worthing
Brooksteed Alehouse - Worthing
Anchored Inn Worthing

All full of great everchanging beers, and you're guaranteed to bump into someone you don't know, but have quite a bit in common with.

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
Personal favourites:

1. Hell Hunt - Tallinn - a grand place to settle in and while away the hours of darkness, which at this time of year is just about round the clock

Another vote for this one. Tallinn in general had some good boozers in it, even if some of the locals weren't overly welcoming.

On these shores, I would vote for Post Office Vaults in Birmingham or the Cyclist at Brighton Stn. Both good watering holes with a decent selection of beers on.

ForestRowSeagull

Jan 6, 2011
Now Brixton
Blimey, things must have changed since I moved from Hartfield. Back then I'd have ranked the local boozers, the Anchor, the Dorset Arms, the Haywaggon and the Gallipot was easily the worst of the four!

Indeed it used to be terrible but it changed hands about 18 months ago and is now a cracking local. Also the haywagon and anchor have gone downhill massively. Dorset still very nice though - just had a big revamp

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
Indeed it used to be terrible but it changed hands about 18 months ago and is now a cracking local. Also the haywagon and anchor have gone downhill massively. Dorset still very nice though - just had a big revamp

Last time I went back to Hartfield was just over a year ago to attend the funeral of the Anchor's landlady, Karen. The wake was obviously held at the pub and I noticed that plenty had changed, none of it for the better. :(

Regarding the Dorset, have Harvey's sold it as I couldn't see it on their website? Miles Jenner always claimed they sold the best Harveys outside of Lewes.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Based on the premise that I want to be able to walk to and from the pub, on a regular basis, top 3 this year:
Wandering Goose - Worthing
Brooksteed Alehouse - Worthing
Anchored Inn Worthing

All full of great everchanging beers, and you're guaranteed to bump into someone you don't know, but have quite a bit in common with.

Throw in The Selden Arms to that list too, they have just increased their list of Belgians to include some real gems.

ForestRowSeagull

Jan 6, 2011
Now Brixton
Last time I went back to Hartfield was just over a year ago to attend the funeral of the Anchor's landlady, Karen. The wake was obviously held at the pub and I noticed that plenty had changed, none of it for the better. :(

Regarding the Dorset, have Harvey's sold it as I couldn't see it on their website? Miles Jenner always claimed they sold the best Harveys outside of Lewes.

I'm not overly sure why the two central pubs have gone so downhill, they still get a lot of the passing trade but the Galli and the Dorset will all be rammed Thursday through to Sunday; it does help they do better food I think.

With regards to the Dorset im not sure if it is still Harveys, they definitely still sell it and I believe the sign outside still reads Harveys. I have to go past the Galli to get to the Dorset and the Harveys is extremely well Kept in there (along with larkins which is a nice drop) so I rarely make it down the hill!

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Stand up Lindfield (Linden Tree)was a dark star pub.
Talbot Cuckfield now was the Ship but it's been sold for a co-op:tantrum::angry:
Savannahs Haywards Heath not really a pub but sells real ale runs charity events and has live music and the base of Mid sussex seagulls .

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Just the one from me...

The George & Dragon, Worthing
. Since moving back 'home', I've spent more time in the G&D than any other pub. It's funny how this pub has moved in and out of my life over the past 20 years or so and I'm pleased that it is still as I've always remembered it: busy, warm and friendly. It helps that my times in there have been with folk that I've not spent enough time with over recent years. Good times and big laughs.

An honourable mention for The Cyclist, Brighton though for doing something other than the lowest common denominator which typifies station pubs. A decent range of drinks and some nice food too. A good venue post-match on a Saturday to watch the Albion world pass by.

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
The Grove Inn -Huddersfield
Gonzo Bar - Holmfirth
Pivni - York

A a mention for North Bar and Tapped in Leeds

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
The Bugle
The Swan
The Cleveland

Honourable mentions to The Mitre and The Hollingbury - both decent pubs yet to be overrun by pretentious middle-class wankers. On that score my immediate local, The Stanmer, is being done up and will be renamed 'Fiveways'. I fear the worst. The PPT has never recovered.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here