Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Favourite Pub in Brighton & Hove?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Past greats:

Shades Wine bar @ the back of the Royal Pav Tav.

The Electric Grape, Queens Road (opposite the current Albion Shop).

The Montpelier late 1980's & early 1990's. Manager/owner had an interesting bar staff recruitment policy ... stunning females only.

The Frock & Jacket (opposite Brighton Town Hall).

Dover

Home at Last.
Oct 5, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
Southover Street Seagull is right. The Bib & Tucker/Racehorse has now shut & is up for 295,000 with planning permission to be converted into three flats. Now it was my local so I wolud have voted for it.

Since it shut though, I have frequented a few other hostelries in the area, and for me it's The Horse & Groom. No food, but great beer, a cracking landlord, bar billiards and fantastic live music.

On the other hand The Hanover cannot serve beer to save it's life and feels uncomfortable. Also The Hartington is a fairly anonymous place that really just wants to pander to the student, and arty types.

Others i like are The Basketmakers, Duke of Wellington (station), Ranleagh, (sister to The Groom), and The Oak (Kemptown)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The Iron Duke, now that brings back some weird and wonderful memories!

Indeed. Interesting mix of nochturnal characters in there as well.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The Racehorse another pub that was owned by Enterprise Inns and leased to Pubs N Bars as per th Hobgoblin and Good Companions. Unfortunately this is what is happening to Enterprise Inns pubs they put the rent at such a level that the pub goes skint and they then apply for change of use to flats or they have a fire like The Junction in Burgess Hill and lay as pile of rubbish for a couple of years and then make application for change of use.

Feb 9, 2011
Lancing
You see I genuinely like those pubs as the clientele are ordinary, down-to-earth people of the sort I grew up with. It's like being in the old public bars of the Britannia, Crabtree, or Balltree (RIP) in Lancing back in the 1970s.

Mind you I like the London Road area in general for the same reason whereas I know others think it's a bit pikey.

Must know you then Brovion, virtually lived in the Crabtree and Brittania then

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
I hope I haven't missed the joke there, but is that for real?

Nope not at all.

Description

The Robin Hood is Britains only charity pub, where after we've paid the lovely staff and not so lovely bills, we give all our profits to local charities. A cosy, relaxed and welcoming pub. Board games and Wii are available to play. Hand made pizzas are always available, as are great beers.

huge

Mar 23, 2011
So many to choose from... So many to save...

I've just discovered a beauty that goes by the name of the Bee's Mouth. Usurped my previous favourite, The Lion and Lobster.

Any gems out there that I have appeared to miss?

the constant service or the caxton, the bugle, the reservoir, the hanover, 3in10, the dover castle, the no name, the evening star, coopers cask,

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I'm suprised no one has mentioned the Ancient Mariner, Poets Corner way, cracking little out of the way pub, I used to work round that way and got waylaid there many a time.

I haven't seen much love for some other personal favourites The Nelson, Great Eastern, Fishbowl, Shakespeares Head (Dials) or The St James

I agree completely about The Good Companions I went in there for the first time in years recently and was very pleasantly suprised.

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
Indeed. Interesting mix of nochturnal characters in there as well.

The old landlord Liverpulian Bob was/is a real character. I'm still in contact with him. Lives in France as well. The guy who took it over(name escapes me) was a right twat. Once Bob left the friendliness left with him. Shame as it was a great after hours pub to go to after the clubs closed. I remember being in there once when 2 guys from different sides of the Glasgow devide went for each other. One gave the other a swift Glasgow kiss. Bob would sometimes take a group of us down to the seafront cafe near the Angel statue and shout us breakfast at 8/9am. The pub could be a dodgy place at times. I liked it though as it was full of life. Waterloo Street was slightly rough around the edges with murders etc. Ray Brooks and the guy from Bodger and Badger(liked a drink) were regulars i seem to remember.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
I was reading a book recently about Brighton's pub history recently, and it had the starting statement that there were over twenty pubs (I think it was 20) in Trafalgar street alone at the turn of the last century..........

of course my favourite pub is the one in which I am going to get my next pint!

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Nope not at all.

Description

The Robin Hood is Britains only charity pub, where after we've paid the lovely staff and not so lovely bills, we give all our profits to local charities. A cosy, relaxed and welcoming pub. Board games and Wii are available to play. Hand made pizzas are always available, as are great beers.

Class act.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
My local : The Montpelier, Jeff's a good bloke, and the Sunday roast/pint/match combo is as good as it gets in B&H

For my money, the most welcoming landlord around. Chatty (but not intrusive) and always willing to pop off and get an extra chair or stool (or some other such small errand) before he's even been asked. Good call.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
You see I genuinely like those pubs as the clientele are ordinary, down-to-earth people of the sort I grew up with. It's like being in the old public bars of the Britannia, Crabtree, or Balltree (RIP) in Lancing back in the 1970s.

Mind you I like the London Road area in general for the same reason whereas I know others think it's a bit pikey.

I'm not sure about any of those pubs but i'll agree that London Road isn't as bad as people make out.

The food at the World's End's superb and I really like Raj Pav, Bankok Express and Coming Up.
Duke of York's is superb and it's got a good market and Ransoms

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm not sure about any of those pubs but i'll agree that London Road isn't as bad as people make out.

My main issue is very aggressive street drinkers and mental health patients seemingly roaming the streets freely. If the drinkers calmed down a bit, and the nutters had care workers in tow it would be a lot better.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here