Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Favourite Prison Film

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Scum. Not only nasty but directly responsible for reform in the youth penal system of the 70s and early 80s. "I'm the fucking daddy now you black *******...now rub some coal dust on them bruises."

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
Toss up between

1. Brubaker, Cool Hand Luke, Shawshank, The Last Castle

I'll go with Shawshank

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
The Rock ?

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
It's probably the first prison film I ever saw: Riot In Cell Block 11 (1954) staring Neville Brand which was initially banned in the UK

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Yes YES YES YES! Finally another person on the entire planet (I'm the only other one by the way) who can see this formulaic schmaltzy American pile of feel good lets make a cliched prison film by numbers effort for what it is! Andy DuFresne has pulled the wool over too many non-demanding film goers for far too many years and longer than his own life sentence. Cheshire Cat, I alone salute you, now bring on the thumbs down the rest of you 'Shawshankers'

Edit: add Gwylan to the list! 3 of us - yay!

I think it's pretty cheesy, too. I have actually argued about it with my daughter, who thinks it is wonderful.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I think it's pretty cheesy, too. I have actually argued about it with my daughter, who thinks it is wonderful.

But you note that plenty of people have said Shawshank but none of them have answered my question of why it's so wonderful

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Another vote for Scum, I watched it on Channel 4 aged 14, quite a shocking film at that age. Winstone's performance is superb.

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
But you note that plenty of people have said Shawshank but none of them have answered my question of why it's so wonderful

The gravelly Morgan Freeman voiceover? The fact that the Kurgan from Highlander broke out of being forever cast in Kurgan-type roles? ("Hi I'm Candy" "Of course you are")

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
A Prophet
Chicken Run
American History X
The Rock
Starred Up
Escape From New York

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here