Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[NSC] FAO Mods: Any Chance Of Flagging Up In Some Way Bounces Of Ten Year Old Threads?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Use the date the thread was created which is shown underneath it?

1703171017561.png

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Not shown on mobile, my biggest issue with the new NSC design. It would be very quick to change and is really useful in deciding which threads to skip over.
Hmm. Desktop / laptop shows date thread was started on. By default mobile shows time last updated.

I honestly don't know if it will be "very quick to change", especially if the mobile responsive design is Xenforo's out of the box UI. I will have a poke around and after that you're in the hands of @Bozza

This really shouldn't be an issue for people on laptops / Macs etc though.

Dec 29, 2011
Hmm. Desktop / laptop shows date thread was started on. By default mobile shows time last updated.

I honestly don't know if it will be "very quick to change", especially if the mobile responsive design is Xenforo's out of the box UI. I will have a poke around and after that you're in the hands of @Bozza

I imagine 70-80% of NSC use is people on mobile devices, but I'm happy to be proven wrong.

WRT the change, if it's hidden with CSS (e.g display: none; ) it should be a quick fix. If it's removed before rendering by Xenforo it would require a change in the template but again this should only be an extra line of code.

I don't want to derail the thread, I've largely adapted to the changes, but I was just pointing out it's hard to tell if someone has bounced an old thread

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
Someone is definitely going to bounce this in 10 years

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Not shown on mobile, my biggest issue with the new NSC design. It would be very quick to change and is really useful in deciding which threads to skip over.

If you flip the phone into landscape orientation you should get the same view you do when using a laptop or desktop. Although I will admit that is a bit of a ball ache when it comes to actually reading the content of the thread.

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
Oct 12, 2022

Even quicker than that, turn your mobile device sideways and in landscape format you can see the date the thread was created.

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
Oct 12, 2022
If you flip the phone into landscape orientation you should get the same view you do when using a laptop or desktop. Although I will admit that is a bit of a ball ache when it comes to actually reading the content of the thread.

Beat me to it by 60 seconds. I need to get back on my Mavis Beacon’s Typing Tutor. Though I don’t think they do one for iPhones.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
I imagine 70-80% of NSC use is people on mobile devices, but I'm happy to be proven wrong.

WRT the change, if it's hidden with CSS (e.g display: none; ) it should be a quick fix. If it's removed before rendering by Xenforo it would require a change in the template but again this should only be an extra line of code.

I don't want to derail the thread, I've largely adapted to the changes, but I was just pointing out it's hard to tell if someone has bounced an old thread
Yes, the UI is dynamic. You'd need Super Admin rights to even attempt a change which is only @Bozza you'd need to not break the dynamism or mobile look and feel and have somewhere to change and deploy the code, however simple.

Might be a five minute job, might be a PITA. I'm not the man who can tell you - but the man who can is tagged.

As a rule of thumb, even 'low code / no code' solutions can't just be changed in production. There has to be version control.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
i think its worth remebering that most "its only a small change" on anything to do with computer programming generally runs along the lines of most "its only a 5 min job" when dealing with home DIY repair type things. 5 Hours later you have created a problem 100 times greater than the one you started out with and have no way of going back to your starting position

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Even quicker than that, turn your mobile device sideways and in landscape format you can see the date the thread was created.
Alternatively, keep a small pocket book handy and simply make a note of each thread title and the date it was created. Then, before opening a thread, check your notebook and that will instantly give you a ready reference with regard to the thread’s age.

It’s what I do.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
It may look like a five-minute job to display thread creation date on mobile portrait views, but Xenforo is a piece of off-the-shelf software and so, if something isn't parameterised in the admin control panel, then it's not likely to be something I can readily change.

As others have said, when you flip your phone to landscape, more information is revealed, including the thread creation date so it seems highly likely that the UX designers trimmed data from the portrait display due to the limited real estate available to them.

I've had a quick look to see if there are any downloadable plugins that would do this, but I've drawn a blank thus far.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here