Fantasy/Historical Fiction

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
The Shardlake series by CJ Sansom might well tick all his boxes. It's great stuff.

I love Shardlake but might be heavier for kids... the best for the period your son is interested is the Hawkwood series by James McGee... ex- sharpshooter in Wellington's army who becomes a Bow Street Runner

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Philip Pullmans His dark material maybe a good one otherwise The Hobbit before the movie comes out then Lord of the rings. Terry Pratchett is an amazing writer although the his philosophical/ contextual subtexts can be quite grownup. Otherwise if he is a good reader Patrick O'Brian tales of high sea and battles are very good, two of his books being made into the recent film Master and Commander.

Last edited:

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
The Edge Chronicles - Paul Stewart and Chris Riddell. There are 3 or 4 trilogies of books set in a fantasy city at the edge of the world. My son loved them, as did his best mate (who has Asbergers too).

Bonus reason - the authors are from Brighton.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I have a ten year old son who has Aspergers. He is an avid reader and loves fantasy and history ( basically anything from the Napoleonic wars and before). I need some recommendations of suitable books I can get him. He reads well above his age group ( at 8 he was assessed as having the reading age of a 13 year old)so will cope with most stuff as long as it has a strong story and no sex.

Any suggestions, preferably of doorstop size and/or a long series .

Anything by Cliff McNish would be a good place to start on the fantasy side of things. He is a friend of mine but don't let that sway your judgement, his books really are terrific. Fantasy written for 13-16 yr olds. Doomspell trilogy etc.

Home - Cliff McNish - Author of Dark Teen Fantasy

The Doomspell trilogy and the Silver trilogy are good. The first book, Doomspell started out as a bedtime story he wrote for his daughter and it got more expansive until he decided to take it to a publisher.

Also, Alan Garner’s fantasies The Weirdstone of Brisingamen, The Moon of Gomrath and Elidor. Just amazing books.

Last edited:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Hornblower? I gobbled those up when I was a kid.

Also Ronald Welch, although his stuff is largely out of print and getting quite expensive these days.

I was going to suggest hornblower.

Benson

Jan 31, 2012
near water
As suggested before, the Patrick O'Brian books seem to fit the bill, and as stated also, there are enough of them to keep him interested for a good while.
The Hobbit (read preferably before the first of THREE, YES THREE! films suck the fun out of it)
Terry Pratchett's DiSkworld series.

My personal recommendation would be Good Omens by Pratchett/Neil Gaiman.

All the best.

Last edited:

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle
As suggested before, the Patrick O'Brian books seem to fit the bill, and as stated also, there are enough of them to keep him interested for a good while.
The Hobbit (read preferably before the first of THREE, YES THREE! films suck the fun out of it)
Terry Pratchett's Dickworld series.

My personal recommendation would be Good Omens by Pratchett/Neil Gaiman.

All the best.

Those are probably a bit too x-rated for a child to be reading

smeariestbat

May 5, 2012
you tried those warhammer 40k story books? could be worth a try :)

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
'The Once and Future King' by TH White.
Arthurian stuff extraordinarily well told, my equal favourite book.

How about the Chronicles of Narnia - there are seven books in the series, it isn't just "The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe".

The other one from the same era as this and LOTR are the Gormenghast trilogy by Mervyn Peake. In all honesty the first two books are the ones to read, the third doesn't seem to fit in with the other two despite having the same main character.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports