Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fantasy/Historical Fiction

Scampi

One of the Three
Jun 10, 2009
Denton
I have a ten year old son who has Aspergers. He is an avid reader and loves fantasy and history ( basically anything from the Napoleonic wars and before). I need some recommendations of suitable books I can get him. He reads well above his age group ( at 8 he was assessed as having the reading age of a 13 year old)so will cope with most stuff as long as it has a strong story and no sex.

Any suggestions, preferably of doorstop size and/or a long series .

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
Hornblower? I gobbled those up when I was a kid.

Also Ronald Welch, although his stuff is largely out of print and getting quite expensive these days.

blueandwhitestripes

Mar 18, 2008
Sussex
You could try the Thomas Kydd series by Julian stockwin - set in napoleonic times and theres currently 13 in the series.

Firefly

GTAV NSC Crew
Apr 8, 2010
Simon scarrow's 4 book epic about nepolian and Wellington are Awsome
First one is called young bloods.

I have a ten year old son who has Aspergers. He is an avid reader and loves fantasy and history ( basically anything from the Napoleonic wars and before). I need some recommendations of suitable books I can get him. He reads well above his age group ( at 8 he was assessed as having the reading age of a 13 year old)so will cope with most stuff as long as it has a strong story and no sex.

When he is bit older he may like "Pavane" by Keith Roberts, a haunting collection of linked tales set in a Dorset where the Armada won and the world is in a steam powered pre electricity age. Or "Blackout" and "All Clear" by Connie Willis - set in WWII and features time hopping "historians" researching the era who then fear that they may have changed history. These two are definitely doorstep size and must confess that I didn't manage to get to the end of the second one.

emphyrian

May 25, 2004
Woodingdean
The wheel of time series by Robert Jordan is 15 books of epicness. the last one comes out in january written by brandon sanderson as Robert Jordan died before he had completed the series. Im re-reading them now

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
If he likes the Sharpe TV series there is a whole set of books by Bernard Cornwell.

Yes, but the books are so much better than the low brow TV series, spot on historically.....

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011

The Hobbit, followed by the ultimate in fantasy fiction Lord of the rings

...Forgot the "Aubrey/Maturin" books by Patrick O'Brian. There seem to be dozens of the blighters, I have read the first "Master and Commander" (on which the film was based) and am trying to acquire the others to read in order. A good read

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
I like fantasy books, but I genuinely find LOTR to be the most boring, over-hyped part of the genre.

I`m the opposite i`ve tried to read a few but the only ones that i completed were the lord of the rings trilogy and the Duncton wood series, admittedly LOTR is a slow starter but very good once you get passed the ist few chapters

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
The Belgariad by David Eddings and all following series.
The Magician by Raymond Feist and all following books
The Black Magician trilogy by Trudi Canavan
The Assassin (farseer and tawny man) trilogies by Robin Hobb
The whole Shannara series by Terry Brooks
At 13 I read The Chronicles of Thomas Covenent but thats a bit heavier

all of these should be suitable for your son... not too much blood and gore and no sex - fun and exciting

oh, and all the David Gemmill stuff is fun but occasionally a little on the sexy side

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here