[Albion] Fans Forum

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I cannot speak for all of 1901 but my seat is surrounded by season ticket holders who date back to the Withdean era at the very least. There is a slight churn every 5 years but in the main it's the same old faces. We are seated on the half way line so to get these seats you had to be first in the queue when they first started selling these tickets.....i.e. a Withdean season ticket holder.
100% this.

See lots of 1901ers from our lounge at away games.
Obviously regulars…..

I must be relatively close to you, we’re in gold area towards the north end.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
1901ers pay a lot of money for their tickets and they get certain privileges with it that the rest of us don’t. That’s modern football unfortunately.

This type of thing is only going to increase as long as the Albion remain in the Premier League.
This attitude pisses me off. They pay a lot of money because they can afford it, no one is not eating or not putting heating on because they've prioritised a 1901 ticket in their life. Paying a lot of money for something when you have a lot of money is not something to get kudos for (see also private schools and 1st class air travel). All the 1901 STH I know put them through as business expenses anyway, all of them are very comfortable financially, good for them.
I have no issue with the 1901 concept, I do have a strong issue that they get preferential and different treatment over 'normal' STH for away games though.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
This attitude pisses me off. They pay a lot of money because they can afford it, no one is not eating or not putting heating on because they've prioritised a 1901 ticket in their life. Paying a lot of money for something when you have a lot of money is not something to get kudos for (see also private schools and 1st class air travel). All the 1901 STH I know put them through as business expenses anyway, all of them are very comfortable financially, good for them.I have no issue with the 1901 concept, I do have a strong issue that they get preferential and different treatment over 'normal' STH for away games though.
I and a few of my 1901 friends work for the NHS is that ok?

I choose not to have lavish holidays or the latest mobile because I enjoy football.
It’s not always as black or white as you think.

Edit - thanks to the Mod who sorted out the quote structure - much appreciated

Last edited:

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
Just speed skimmed through the fans forum. Not quite so extreme on the cringeometer as some in the past. That woman complaining because little Johnny doesn't get a chance for a players shirt often enough was a decent effort though.

Kudos to the young man who spoke confidently when asking Barber about FA Cup replays. Without stating outright, it was very apparent which way he voted. His response was pretty contemptuous to anyone outside the Premier League. Unfortunately with these events there isn't an opportunity to challenge an answer. A suitable retort from anyone might have been; "don't you consider it undemocratic and unrepresentative that this decision was taken solely by premier league clubs?"

PB once claimed to have read Build a Bonfire to get a feel of the club and its roots. Like many persons and organisations, success can cloud the memory of more humble times in the past.

philgull25

Jul 29, 2005
Polegate
This attitude pisses me off. They pay a lot of money because they can afford it, no one is not eating or not putting heating on because they've prioritised a 1901 ticket in their life. Paying a lot of money for something when you have a lot of money is not something to get kudos for (see also private schools and 1st class air travel). All the 1901 STH I know put them through as business expenses anyway, all of them are very comfortable financially, good for them.
I have no issue with the 1901 concept, I do have a strong issue that they get preferential and different treatment over 'normal' STH for away games though.
I dont like it myself, but it is a reality and part of the trade offs that come with success.

I’ve seen some refer to this type of thing as an unconscious “loophole”, I think it is better to see it as a conscious privilege that is being given with that status of ticket.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
As others have said, it’s not as black and white as you suggest. Obviously everyone who has a season ticket can afford it but many many club members are pretty regular people who prioritize their comfort at football. They are not the private schooled 1st class traveling folk you suggest.

The way I see it is there a number of varied ways you can support the club, and each comes with a different entry point, benefits and ability to obtain home and away tickets. Obvious ones are club staff, myriad types of club sponsor, and club revenue via 1901 Club and STs and attendance at games. Bloom and Barber decide on the benefits for each of these groups and their ability to purchase match tickets and who they can purchase them for. Depending on their level, club staff can buy multiple tickets and take anyone they like within reason. Same with club sponsors, they will get a bunch of tickets and no need to apply points or check loyalty when dishing these out. Then we have 1901ers and who have a little bit of extra flexibility with their ticket. Is it fair? Good question. Should AMEX be able to give a ticket to Noel Gallagher? Should club staff be able to get tickets for friends for plum games at the expense of “regular” fans? Should 1901ers be able to give their ticket to friends? Who decides the fairness in all this? The only question I can answer is the latter….it’s Bloom and Barber.

Last edited:

Talby

Dec 24, 2023
Sussex
I and a few of my 1901 friends work for the NHS is that ok?

I choose not to have lavish holidays or the latest mobile because I enjoy football.
It’s not always as black or white as you think.

Edit - thanks to the Mod who sorted out the quote structure - much appreciated
Where you work doesn’t matter. But I tip my hat to NHS workers.

The whole point being those 1901 with tickets in the name of businesses and not people.

It is not about 1901 season ticket holder who have a seat / membership number to their name and go to away games the same as any other fan. There is absolutely no contention there.

Presumably your ticket doesn’t say ‘national health service’?

1901 members on here have clearly stated they’re just supporters like anyone else. I don’t doubt that. It’s just the nuances in relation to terms & conditions of away tickets which differentiate our relationship with the club and how that can be abused by some (not all).

Talby

Dec 24, 2023
Sussex
As others have said, it’s not as black and white as you suggest. Obviously everyone who has a season ticket can afford it but many many club members are pretty regular people who prioritize their comfort at football. They are not the private schooled 1st class traveling folk you suggest.

The way I see it is there a number of varied ways you can support the club, and each comes with a different entry point, benefits and ability to obtain home and away tickets. Obvious ones are club staff, myriad types of club sponsor, and club revenue via 1901 Club and STs and attendance at games. Bloom and Barber decide on the benefits for each of these groups and their ability to purchase match tickets and who they can purchase them for. Depending on their level, club staff can buy multiple tickets and take anyone they like within reason. Same with club sponsors, they will get a bunch of tickets and no need to apply points or check loyalty when dishing these out. Then we have 1901ers and who have a little bit of extra flexibility with their ticket. Is it fair? Good question. Should AMEX be able to give a ticket to Noel Gallagher? Should club staff be able to get tickets for friends for plum games at the expense of “regular” fans? Should 1901ers be able to give their ticket to friends? Who decides the fairness in all this? The only question I can answer is the latter….it’s Bloom and Barber.
The reference to TB & PB - it’s more likely PB. The club have changed processes and communications from last season, but without acknowledging the flaws in the way it was rolled out in the first pace. They were found wanting in a number of instances but the club just double downed which didn’t reflect well on them.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Where you work doesn’t matter. But I tip my hat to NHS workers.

The whole point being those 1901 with tickets in the name of businesses and not people.

It is not about 1901 season ticket holder who have a seat / membership number to their name and go to away games the same as any other fan. There is absolutely no contention there.

Presumably your ticket doesn’t say ‘national health service’?

1901 members on here have clearly stated they’re just supporters like anyone else. I don’t doubt that. It’s just the nuances in relation to terms & conditions of away tickets which differentiate our relationship with the club and how that can be abused by some (not all).
It did when I was replying to the poster and the assumption around 1901 members and businesses, which in some part is true, but based on my discussions the minority.

Also the part about 1901 members must be well off, is a massive assumption, as per my post.

1901 members have seen the original promises erode over time, and frankly we’re paying over the odds for a lounge and programme, so any perks around ticket sharing is fine with me. As long as those being shared with are Brighton fans.

We’ll have to agree to disagree.

Talby

Dec 24, 2023
Sussex
It did when I was replying to the poster and the assumption around 1901 members and businesses, which in some part is true, but based on my discussions the minority.

Also the part about 1901 members must be well off, is a massive assumption, as per my post.

1901 members have seen the original promises erode over time, and frankly we’re paying over the odds for a lounge and programme, so any perks around ticket sharing is fine with me. As long as those being shared with are Brighton fans.

We’ll have to agree to disagree.
I think there’s to much fluff and bluster going on in these exchanges, and point scoring.

For me it’s simply about away tickets and the allowed abuse of it by some (not all).

I think the club is falling short in a number of areas and it’s a massive shame.

One of my best mates is a 1901 member and he understands my PoV - he’s been there since Falmer opened and enjoys it. I understand it’s tricky to not things personally but the 1901 terms and conditions are different to other STH on this point but it’s not a general slur.

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
But Comrade Milano, you can say that about any level of Brighton supporter. In descending order: club owner, board member, 1901 member, STH with a lot of points, STH with fewer points, Albion+ Member.... all of these groups get privileges and access to the Amex and away tickets compared with the average bloke in the street, based on little more than them having the money to buy that privilege in the first place. It's capitalism. What would you have in its place? A giant lottery for every game?

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Only attend a few away games and always as a guest of home ST holder. I am not in 1901 but understand many original perks have been removed. ( surprised there were not more compaints about this ) and the club always with an eye on renewals would understandibly be reluctant to remove anymore. There is a considerable expense and commitment to join 1901 and for this needs to be more than just a nice lounge and a program

Mar 4, 2024
I agree with the comments on the club having lots of different entry/Loyalty tiers based on what I think is a current fair system for ticketing, based for most on people's individual circumstances.
Ps Glen M just coming up o 5 live ref RDZ

Our group of supporters that get together for home and some away games sit in various different locations at the Amex, inc some on the 1901. The latter are all Goldstone ‘80s era north stand fans and with a few beers in them are far from quiet (‘loud but not lairy anymore’ was a quote a while ago!) - especially of course at away games like
most other fans regardless of where they sit.at the amex..
It’s not as if the north stand is perpetually raucous anyway and the ‘i’m a louder fan than thee’ part of this thread is just silly!
Good points well made. Certainly not starting a 'louder fan than thee' debate haha

Reactions: abc

Talby

Dec 24, 2023
Sussex
Just speed skimmed through the fans forum. Not quite so extreme on the cringeometer as some in the past. That woman complaining because little Johnny doesn't get a chance for a players shirt often enough was a decent effort though.

Kudos to the young man who spoke confidently when asking Barber about FA Cup replays. Without stating outright, it was very apparent which way he voted. His response was pretty contemptuous to anyone outside the Premier League. Unfortunately with these events there isn't an opportunity to challenge an answer. A suitable retort from anyone might have been; "don't you consider it undemocratic and unrepresentative that this decision was taken solely by premier league clubs?"

PB once claimed to have read Build a Bonfire to get a feel of the club and its roots. Like many persons and organisations, success can cloud the memory of more humble times in the past.
Barber follows the money.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports