Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fans forum 1/8/13

albionite

May 20, 2009
I am not quite that old but would be interested if somebody knew (a) when they stopped running on Boxing Day (b) when they last run on Christmas Day. There must be a train nerd on here who knows the answers.

No idea, but they are closing all the small signal boxes down and running it from three bridges. They do run trains from Brighton to Vic so anything is possible if enough money is thrown at it. Just to get the drivers and conductors to work overtime now.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
How? If the club have fired him for gross misconduct on the basis he asked to go in the summer (but would be fine with leaving the next day) they would lose. Gus can admit to that phone call and he'd still win his claim if that is the basis for "gross misconduct". Asking to go is not misconduct, let alone gross misconduct. The phone call itself means nothing. It is the untold story. The things that happened afterwards that Tony refused to go into that would be important.

Depends on why you think he wanted to go doesn't it? If he was going because he thought he had something else lined up then that would suggest either he or his agent had been speaking to another club without permission from the Albion. Of course, if you just take it at face value and genuinely believe he just wanted to leave because he wanted so time off work then that's your choice!!!!!! I suspect most people will come to other conclusions. That is without going into the subsequent events.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
TB talked of it getting harder and harder to gain promotion to the Premier League as a club without parachute payments. Something upon the lines of 'the sooner the better'.

Get ready for a monster of a season everyone!

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
What did you ask? What were the answers?

I asked whether, in light of Bournemouth playing Real Madrid this summer, we would ever consider a similar proposal if the sums added up. I suggested Barca given the Oscar connection.

Tony pointed out that obviously Bournemouth had to pay a large sum to get Madrid to play them, and then of course charge high prices for tickets. He said that if the numbers added up they'd always consider it, but that he felt our fans probably wouldn't pay the £60 Bournemouth fans were charged (or not enough of our fans, at any rate).

Oscar said that if Barcelona want to play us, they can pay for us to go and play them at the Camp Nou.

Seagull by the Sea

May 22, 2013
I asked whether, in light of Bournemouth playing Real Madrid this summer, we would ever consider a similar proposal if the sums added up. I suggested Barca given the Oscar connection.

Tony pointed out that obviously Bournemouth had to pay a large sum to get Madrid to play them, and then of course charge high prices for tickets. He said that if the numbers added up they'd always consider it, but that he felt our fans probably wouldn't pay the £60 Bournemouth fans were charged (or not enough of our fans, at any rate).

Oscar said that if Barcelona want to play us, they can pay for us to go and play them at the Camp Nou.

Lol, I like the answer from OG

albionite

May 20, 2009
How many extra people are required to run the service from Brighton to Falmer/Lewes if there are some working already on the Brighton Victoria line.

They already have to volunteer at treble pay. So would be a case of finding more staff to work.
Was a case of signallers in the boxes didn't want to work, now it is being centralised that shouldn't be a problem.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
My point is the signallers will be there and so will the station staff because of the service to Victoria so it is case of drivers etc to take the trains to Falmer and staff at Falmer station plus of course Transport Police so not a great number of extra staff I wouldnt have thought. But then I am a complete outsider on this and have no idea.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
My point is the signallers will be there and so will the station staff because of the service to Victoria so it is case of drivers etc to take the trains to Falmer and staff at Falmer station plus of course Transport Police so not a great number of extra staff I wouldnt have thought.

Depends what service you want, for how long and how far

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Depends on why you think he wanted to go doesn't it? If he was going because he thought he had something else lined up then that would suggest either he or his agent had been speaking to another club without permission from the Albion. Of course, if you just take it at face value and genuinely believe he just wanted to leave because he wanted so time off work then that's your choice!!!!!! I suspect most people will come to other conclusions. That is without going into the subsequent events.

It's not about me. It's about the court. The court will not make any supposition on it. If he phoned up and said he wanted to leave, and didn't give a reason (and bloom seemed to indicate gus wasn't willing to discuss it, which would suggest no reason given) then that phone call is not enough to fire him for gross misconduct, regardless of what you or I suspect motivated it (and it's not just time off or join another club, as has been suggested elsewhere, perhaps Gus was unhappy with the budget, perhaps he was unhappy with his responsibilities being restricted as part of the efforts to reduce budgets, perhaps his family life was suffering, etc.)

The other things Tony refused to go into might indicate tapping up, illegal approaches, sabotaging the team in an effort to force tony to let him go, etc. But none of that has been discussed. All we have is Gus phoned and asked to be let out of his contract. Nothing Tony explicitly discussed regarding Gus is enough to fire him for gross misconduct. - (To clarify, I'm not saying all the other stuff you are assuming to have happened didn't happen, just that "Gus asked to be let out of his contract" isn't enough to prove it in a court of law).

albionite

May 20, 2009
My point is the signallers will be there and so will the station staff because of the service to Victoria so it is case of drivers etc to take the trains to Falmer and staff at Falmer station plus of course Transport Police so not a great number of extra staff I wouldnt have thought. But then I am a complete outsider on this and have no idea.

What about all the other stations. It isn't just Falmer and Brighton

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
What about all the other stations. It isn't just Falmer and Brighton

Could they not run non stop Brighton to Falmer to Lewes to Falmer to Brighton for an hour or two before and after the game thus allowing the drivers a break while the game was on. Being a Bank holiday most people could drive to either Brighton or Lewes and park, the problem is getting to and parking at The Amex it wouldnt affect me as I would ask my wife to drop us four off and collect us again but we are 4 not 26k.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
From Andy Naylor's Argus piece:

"It got triggered by a phone call that he made to me four days before the first League game against Crystal Palace at home in March, when he phoned me up and made it clear to me he wanted to leave at the end of the season and he didn't want to discuss it at all and he said that if he could leave the next day that would be fine.

'Adios Mañana'....clunk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here