Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Fans back in stadiums before Christmas ?

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Someone else pointed this out (but I can't remember who) but could see clubs objecting to half a season with fans. Take for example we've played Palace when we were at away but with no fans but next year they are due to come to Falmer for the match. Imagine if fans were allowed back in during February; we'd be giving SEGW loads of stick, "you're going to cry in a minute" etc etc. You could see Palace not wanting that situation as we've got an advantage. Even without rivals playing there will be plenty of other matches where the teams have already played 1 leg without fans and can't see teams wanting the 2nd leg with fans. It'll be next season at the earliest surely?

If the team carry on as they are, the very last thing they need is us and our little rays of sunshine back 'supporting' them.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Someone else pointed this out (but I can't remember who) but could see clubs objecting to half a season with fans. Take for example we've played Palace when we were at away but with no fans but next year they are due to come to Falmer for the match. Imagine if fans were allowed back in during February; we'd be giving SEGW loads of stick, "you're going to cry in a minute" etc etc. You could see Palace not wanting that situation as we've got an advantage. Even without rivals playing there will be plenty of other matches where the teams have already played 1 leg without fans and can't see teams wanting the 2nd leg with fans. It'll be next season at the earliest surely?

I would imagine Tony Bloom would jump at the chance to get some money going into the bank rather than out irrespective of match supporters fairness

Last edited:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
If the team carry on as they are, the very last thing they need is us and our little rays of sunshine back 'supporting' them.

Well, we won't be back before spring 21 at the earliest and then it'll be limited based on vaccination of the vulnerable and key workers, better testing and a reduced national "R".

However, if we do get back in by then the first few games will be carnival affairs if you ask me. Old friends who have not seen each other for donkeys, plenty of drink taken. I think even a Maupay missed open goal might survive that. Well, maybe not an OPEN goal.....

This, incidentally is why all those other things will need to be in play - because the first few games will be carnage, booze wise.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Interesting the lengths, and expense, that the Golden State Warriors are prepared to go to get fans back into game...

"The Golden State Warriors have presented an ambitious plan to state and local officials to reopen Chase Center in San Francisco at 50% capacity for the upcoming NBA season, which owner Joe Lacob believes can be the model for all sports franchises and entertainment venues to safely bring back fans amid the COVID-19 pandemic.

Lacob said the Warriors are prepared to spend upward of $30 million to test every fan, Warriors employee and player with the most accurate form of COVID-19 testing for each home game or day they come to Chase Center."

Source >>> https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id...football+team&utm_content=SGN+362+-+Tues+10am

If I knew that nobody I'd come into contact with has the virus I'd attend. But how could a result be obtained in a matter of minutes?

Hang on....https://www.nature.com/articles/d41587-020-00021-z

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Sorry, but thats bobbins. Clubs are desperate to get fans back into the stadiums as soon as is possible. Any perceived slight "advantage" due to who clubs have already played behind closed doors will go out the window when its weighed up against (a) the spectacle and (b) the money it brings in. Its an absolute irrelevance who we've already played behind closed doors, that will simply not be a factor at all.

There's zero chance of us being back in stadiums this year. But if these vaccines get rolled out and start having a significant effect on numbers then maybe we'll see a limited return in the spring. But more likely we won't be back in stadiums till next season (not convinced about the Euros either).

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Can’t see it happening. Tamir Hasan reckons he’s got a way to make it work if he was “just given a chance”. Hmm.
Though, there’s no guarantee that we’ll be freed from Lockdown this side of 2021.
Who knows though, where there’s money, there’s usually a way.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
But they had no real choice about last season as it was abandon the season or play the matches without fans. It wasn't a choice of let fans in or not.

Very true.

But the message last season was very much “it’s the way it is”

This season it will be “we need the money”

Winker

CUM ON FEEL THE NOIZE
Jul 14, 2008
The Astral Planes, man...
I don't understand what the problem is, I went to the Chelsea friendly without any ill effects. We should have carried that system onto the season proper as nothing covid related has changed around here. The government bottled it.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I don't understand what the problem is, I went to the Chelsea friendly without any ill effects. We should have carried that system onto the season proper as nothing covid related has changed around here. The government bottled it.

People will travel from further afield for a league game than they would for a friendly. We live in an area that has been in the highest level of the tier system because of soaring infection rates and full ICUs. We are Albion STH. Brighton is not insulated from the rest of the world and the fact that you did not catch the virus at the Chelsea friendly does not actually enable any conclusion about transmission at games in general.

A1X

NSC Patreon
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
IF (and I think that is a massive, massive "if") it happens then it should be done phased, and from the ground up. Much as it pains me to say it, but Premier League teams should be the last to bring fans back as they don't need it for their financial futures anything like as much as those further down the pyramid do.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
The Football clubs are asking to be treated in the same way as other venues. If the Royal Albert Hall is permitted to host a 2,500 audience indoors then there is no reason that clubs like the Albion could not host 5,000 fans in an outdoor setting.

I do not see many fans being allowed in this season or even realistically by Christmas but I do anticipate fans returning before the season's end once the vaccine roll out has begun.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Can't see it myself.

However, when we do start to go back in at reduced capacities (hopefully towards end of this season, otherwise start of next) I actually think it'll be the mass testing the enables it first and foremost, rather than any effect from vaccines, which will take longer to show. IMO.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here