Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Fannying about at the back

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
The only worry is that it will sometimes go catastrophically wrong, and for a keeper particularly but for any player, that loss of confidence from it.... could also be catastrophic. Football does seem hugely influcence by confidence. Certainly a high-risk tactic. Fun to watch though!

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I think Sarmiento was getting dangerously close to the "being kicked into the stand for taking the piss" line in the closing stages.
For me it was when Gross and Caicedo (I think) played about 12 passes between themselves in the centre circle before three of four other players joined in the one touch play for quite a while that I thought we’re taking the piss now!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
If it's good enough for RDZ, it's good enough for me. That includes Steele too. The gaffer obviously rates him and he came across as a very humble guy in his post-match chat with JC on the radio.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
The only worry is that it will sometimes go catastrophically wrong, and for a keeper particularly but for any player, that loss of confidence from it.... could also be catastrophic. Football does seem hugely influcence by confidence. Certainly a high-risk tactic. Fun to watch though!
This last bit.

I can’t ever remember having so much bloody fun watching us.

Even when I got home from the Fulham match and I had to explain the afternoon to my wife. I’d thoroughly enjoyed the first 88 minutes.

This squad has the ability to play sublime stuff I simply never imagined I’d see from a Brighton team.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Without meaning to sound condescending to some sections of our fans at matches, there’s an element of “educating” them about our footballing philosophy and this has naturally taken time. We are playing football right now (and also prior under Potter) that has been alien to us for every single fan’s lifetime.

What I really do like is both Sanchez and Steele are perfectly happy going longer when needed under pressure or if it presents an opportunity to attack.
One of my favourite moments of the match was when West Ham looked like they'd finally twigged Steele's short ball into the midfield pivots ... only for him to belt it out wide to Veltman to hoots of laughter from the WSU! 🤣

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I think Sarmiento was getting dangerously close to the "being kicked into the stand for taking the piss" line in the closing stages.
Discussed exactly that at the time, given his injury record he may end up regretting taking the piss as someone will go straight through him

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The closer it gets to us cocking it up and losing possession, the more our opponents get confident, waste energy and ultimately, get out of shape. We then punch back very hard indeed. I’m sure Potter tried to get us to do something like this against Liverpool and Citeh in his first season. Wasn’t so funny then!
Exactly this happened today. At the SS end second half we seemed to be taking the mad passing to a new level, drawing in more or more Hammers. Then we broke with something like a 3 on 2. A brilliant counter.

pure_white

Dec 8, 2021
Did we take it to a new level today?

Steele seems even more of a risk taker than Sanchez and holds onto the ball until the last second.

We had a couple of heart in the mouth moments today where it went wrong and West Ham got the ball, luckily they didn’t make us pay

Some of the passing between Steele and the defenders in our box was intricate and drawn out in the second half and had me off my seat applauding as we eventually found so much space in midfield to launch an attack

I bloody love our fannying about at the back…and it hasn’t really cost us enough for me to even think that I want us to stop doing it

Thoughts? Anyone still think we should stop doing it? I noticed sharp intakes of breath followed by laughter by the fans around me today. I didn’t hear a single shout of “get rid of it” today :thumbsup:
It makes me nervous but its a team thing not Steele.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
No, no, no. When it goes wrong, DeZ will tell the players they are fantastic, are doing exactly what he wants and they have massive balls.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Time and time again West Ham's pressing players must have been thinking "That's it, we've got them now" just as, Houdini-like, we slip it through them and are suddenly breaking, at speed, with numbers.

I hope MOTD show the full passage of play that led to the penalty because that came from some top-class fannying.
I said similar on the match day thread, but I was focused on the top, top, top fannying before the second goal. It almost seemed like Hammers had pressured us into an error, then it slips through we go up the other end and win the corner that our second goal came from. When we played through that press, the group of hammers players in/just around our box looked physically shattered.

Ings was a frustrated and almost looked worthy of pity, except, y'know, it was Ings.

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
Without meaning to sound condescending to some sections of our fans at matches, there’s an element of “educating” them about our footballing philosophy and this has naturally taken time. We are playing football right now (and also prior under Potter) that has been alien to us for every single fan’s lifetime.

What I really do like is both Sanchez and Steele are perfectly happy going longer when needed under pressure or if it presents an opportunity to attack.
Didn’t Poyet talk about educating the fans?

Edit: Poyet’s football was surely similar in style to our current football. Only with El Abd, Dicker etc instead of £70m footballers and World Cup winners.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Ings was a frustrated and almost looked worthy of pity, except, y'know, it was Ings.

Said the same to my learned friend @Mellor 3 Ward 4 - Ings was chasing shadows all afternoon and looked utterly dispirited.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here