Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Fan advisory board

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Agree, think the club is run perfectly, but if this exists there has to be a point to it.

I was told by one member that they are told to completely ignore social media. The club has a real obsession sometimes that everyone on social media is bad, a lot of good can come out of it. The new admin for example who seems to encourage interaction (and strangely seems to be aware of what non league games I’m at).
Well back during Gus Poyet's tenure, Charlie Oatway told me that Gus banned all of the playing staff from logging on to NSC. Although l don't quite know how he could have stopped them.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
There are minutes of two meetings, but sourced from a member themselves, say they have meetings almost every week, where are they?
I don’t know - I doubt they’d have minutes for informal get togethers. I just saw the page on the club site and thought I’d share. Email the group or ask Nigel on Twitter https://twitter.com/nigelsummersart
Jack. And maybe report back here ?

Last edited:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Well back during Gus Poyet's tenure, Charlie Oatway told me that Gus banned all of the playing staff from logging on to NSC. Although l don't quite know how he could have stopped them.
Probably wouldn’t have been a problem for Charlie anyway

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I don’t know - I doubt they’d have minutes for informal get togethers. I just saw the page on the club site and thought I’d share. Email the group or ask Nigel on Twitter https://twitter.com/nigelsummersart
Jack. And maybe report back here ?

That twitter bio sparked a memory...

Thank you to everyone who voted for my pseudonym Nigel Summers. Like [MENTION=118]Hiney[/MENTION] I am looking forward to getting involved.

There has never been a F.A.B. before, and this is a club initiative that we couldn't have dreamt of 25 years ago.

It is up to the members of this first F.A.B. to make it a success, and this will mean understanding the issues that are important to fans of all ages and all sections of the fanbase.

Some of the negativity on here and on twitter is unbelievable. It seems that some people are only ever happy when they're unhappy.

Give it a chance. Engage with the FAB members with a realistic wish list, and you never know we might actually enhance the fan experience at what is already one of the best clubs I the country.

Nigel - are you able to provide any update on how you are progressing on your goals to reach as many Albion fans as possible, as you outlined here:

The FAB are discussing communication and how we gather ideas and pass on what we do.

NSC is an obvious and excellent channel (has NSC ever been described as a communication channel before?)

Incredibly though there are thousands of Albion fans who don't log on here daily, don't read emails from The Albion don't use twitter, and don't do Facebook.

We need to reach these people too.

How should we do that?
We want to be able to reach everyone right?

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010

Nigel - are you able to provide any update on how you are progressing on your goals to reach as many Albion fans as possible, as you outlined here:
Bozza, this is the same bloke we used to put signs out on road bridges with 😂

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Perhaps he should start putting his money where his mouth is then, and force his way on to the board, although l've no idea just how much of a football fan he really is.

That said, even if he knows nothing about the game he could hardly do any worse than the present incumbants.
I think even Macca’s wealth would struggle to get Everton out of their current predicament.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Bozza, this is the same bloke we used to put signs out on road bridges with 😂
I'll never forget one night when "Lenny Rider" showed up for a shift up on the gantries and the bridges of the A27 and A23

He looked like a member of the Provos, or like he was on his way to the Iranian Embassy.
All in black, balaclava. the lot. I'm sure its only when we burst out laughing that he put the boot polish away. #Commandos

Thanks for your help

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea

Darren, happy to do so.

The Fan Advisory Board are alive and well - although we accept that you could be forgiven for thinking its "all gone quiet over there"

The work we've got involved with has been meaningful after a slow start, but the biggest problem we know we have is increasing our channels of communication with the fans to a) identify the key issues as the fans see them, and b) feedback with the results.

We have tried to start getting out there.
  • FAB section on the Albion website - with links to all meeting minutes
  • Half page in the Liverpool programme
  • Going out to meet the supporters clubs (Seagulls Over London, Seagulls Over Burwash, Brighton & Hove Albion Supporters Club)
  • Two hour (3 pub) discussion with Russell on the Brighton Rock Podcast
  • Upcoming article in the next issue of Dogma www.dogmabrighton.com

Things we've achieved:
  • Getting another safe standing survey
  • Getting involved in the upcoming travel scheme review
  • Crowdfunding the RDZ flag
  • FAB email address monitoring and responded to by us alone FanAdvisoryBoard@brightonandhovealbion
  • Gaining the trust of the club that the fans are worth listening to and can be trusted to help them achieve their aims.
It has been suggested that we have an independent FAB website, which would be excellent. We can then upload updates without having to wait for the club to find time, and have 100% editorial control. Have a look at how brilliant Everton's FAB website is https://efc-fanadvisoryboard.com/

We probably also need a Twitter account

Maybe we should have a NSC account too?

But we are just five individuals doing all this in our own time, and we have no budget assigned.
We are considering crowd funding to get the website created and run - but uploading information will take time.
Wish us luck - or suggest how we can achieve this.
Email us FanAdvisoryBoard@brightonandhovealbion

A year ago recruitment began. Eight were elected. We are now reduced in number to just Five. The recruitment process to get us back up to strength will start this month. Look out for announcement from the club around March 22. We desperately need more people, and specifically some younger people, those with social media skills, fans from the north stand and anyone who thinks they could really help improve the fans experience.

When you see this on the Albion Website, read it carefully, consider if you could be one of the people we need - and apply

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
Darren, happy to do so.

The Fan Advisory Board are alive and well - although we accept that you could be forgiven for thinking its "all gone quiet over there"

The work we've got involved with has been meaningful after a slow start, but the biggest problem we know we have is increasing our channels of communication with the fans to a) identify the key issues as the fans see them, and b) feedback with the results.

• Going out to meet the supporters clubs (Seagulls Over London, Seagulls Over Burwash, Brighton & Hove Albion Supporters Club)

Things we've achieved:
  • FAB email address monitoring and responded to by us alone FanAdvisoryBoard@brightonandhovealbion
  • Gaining the trust of the club that the fans are worth listening to and can be trusted to help them achieve their aims.
It has been suggested that we have an independent FAB website, which would be excellent. We can then upload updates without having to wait for the club to find time, and have 100% editorial control. Have a look at how brilliant Everton's FAB website is https://efc-fanadvisoryboard.com/

But we are just five individuals doing all this in our own time, and we have no budget assigned.
We are considering crowd funding to get the website created and run - but uploading information will take time.

A year ago recruitment began. Eight were elected. We are now reduced in number to just Five. The recruitment process to get us back up to strength will start this month. Look out for announcement from the club around March 22. We desperately need more people, and specifically some younger people, those with social media skills, fans from the north stand and anyone who thinks they could really help improve the fans experience.

When you see this on the Albion Website, read it carefully, consider if you could be one of the people we need - and apply

Great to hear an update, even if a lot of things don't concern me much these days. I definitely think we need younger people and I can think of a couple who would be perfect for it.

A Twitter account would be a great start.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Darren, happy to do so.

Things we've achieved:

Good to see you're getting into the swing of things, good to see the other members are being replaced, will that be a similar election process like before?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Darren, happy to do so.

Things we've achieved:

Have FAB reported back on the choice of matchday music yet?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Darren, happy to do so.

Things we've achieved:

Great stuff - thanks for the update!

The Everton FAB website is great and far be it from me to tell you how to go about things, but something similar could be created very quickly, structurally at least - I'm not sure funds would necessarily need to be raised to do that. It's a simple WordPress site (free) and uses a free theme. Then it would be down to the FAB themselves to provide the words, but they can be applied with a quick copy and paste.

I could knock something together, although I'm sure there are better designers/builders amongst the community. I could host the site on NSC's server free of charge, meaning the only out-of-pocket expense that would be required is the domain purchase, and that only runs to about £15 per year.

Last edited:

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Darren, happy to do so.

Things we've achieved:

When you see this on the Albion Website, read it carefully, consider if you could be one of the people we need - and apply.

It's interesting that you refer to gaining the trust of the club that the fans are worth listening to. I would suggest that as the FAB purports to be representing the fans, an equally important objective with absolute parity should be to gain the trust of the fans.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Good to see you're getting into the swing of things, good to see the other members are being replaced, will that be a similar election process like before?
Yes, similar but not the same. Around March 22 they will announce the details, but its planned for applicants to fill in an form, attach a CV and submit.
But the FAB themselves will draw up the short list to make sure we are filling the knowledge/representative gaps.
Then these will go to online voting as before.
The FAB are pressing for this to happen ASAP but there are several hoops to go through.
Advice to those interested, put together a CV and keep an eye on the Albion website (like you don't do this already!)

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Great stuff - thanks for the update!

The Everton FAB website is great and far be it from me to tell you how to go about things, but something similar could be created very quickly, structurally at least - I'm not sure funds would necessarily need to be raised to do that. It's a simple WordPress site (free) and uses a free theme. Then it would be down to the FAB themselves to provide the words, but they can be applied with a quick copy and paste.

I could knock something together, although I'm sure there are better designers/builders amongst the community. I could host the site on NSC's server free of charge, meaning the only out-of-pocket expense that would be required is the domain purchase, and that only runs to about £15 per year.
Thanks for this. As discussed we don't have the knowledge or expertise to "knock something together" that would be anywhere near half decent.
Could we talk about this? Perhaps come on our regular FAB Zoom call one week?

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
It's interesting that you refer to gaining the trust of the club that the fans are worth listening to. I would suggest that as the FAB purports to be representing the fans, an equally important objective with absolute parity should be to gain the trust of the fans.
This is 100% the case of course.
I should have explained the reason we had to gain the club's trust.
We had a very unfortunate first month back last summer when two of our number left the FAB due to breach of the confidentiality agreement we had all signed.
Following that we very much got the impression that the club almost regretted the whole thing.
We've worked bloody hard to recover this situation.
What would you like to see us do to gain the trust of the fans?

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
FAB sharing info on here and Clive's blog on WAB is a great step forward. Hope they get their own channel soon so everyone can make this work in the way supporters like!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Thanks for this. As discussed we don't have the knowledge or expertise to "knock something together" that would be anywhere near half decent.
Could we talk about this? Perhaps come on our regular FAB Zoom call one week?
Happy to, yes.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I agree in principle. And having read the recent posts on here, they certainly have my trust.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here