Falmer pay on gate?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
and derby my friend?..as for stoke, i recall their ground is like falmer, near the town, but also near the country, remember the east btn estates are 10 minutes walk from falmer

mate, if the club had argued the toss half as much as you over "why can't everyone just turn up and pay at the gate", then we'd never have got this thing as far as planning stage cos the Council would have knocked it on the head LONG before we even got to a public enquiry.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
rubbish drivel and nonsense, almost as much as TLO's attempt to try and argue that nobody turns up and pays anymore. Btn v barnsley will not cause traffic chaos ! You do make me laugh, did you type that with a straight face?

Oh dear.

Point is, everyone on here FULLY understands the point you're making - you're not so smart as you eveidently like to think you are posting at a level beyond our comprehension.

The plain fact of the matter is, when it comes to planning, YOU JUST DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT. You just don't. And you're embarrassing yourslef every time you grizzle about thinking you can change the rules.

The challenges you want the club to put up will fail - guaranteed - it will waste the club time, resources and money. If it takes this course of action (by people who know the planning rules upside down and have had to spend north of £4m to prove it) to show just how naive and ignorant your bleatings are, I suggest you put in your proposals to the club to show them how to do it.

I just hope they're better than your well-intentioned, but ultimately naive, half-baked idea for promoting Withdean by leafleting commuters at Brighton Station for a day by people you wouldn't intend to pay properly. A decent idea, but with holes you could drive a lorry through.

Last edited:

Jamie

Jun 28, 2008
Oh dear.

Point is, everyone on here FULLY understands the point you're making - you're not so smart as you eveidently like to think you are posting at a level beyond our comprehension.

The plain fact of the matter is, when it comes to planning, YOU JUST DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT. You just don't. And you're embarrassing yourslef every time you grizzle about thinking you can change the rules.

The challenges you want the club to put up will fail - guaranteed - it will waste the club time, resources and money. If it takes this course of action (by people who know the planning rules upside down and have had to spend north of £4m to prove it) to show just how naive and ignorant your bleatings are, I suggest you put in your proposals to the club to show them how to do it.

I just hope they're better than your well-intentioned, but ultaimtely naive, half-baked idea for promoting Withdean by leafleting commuters at Brighton Station for a day by people you wouldn't intend to pay properly. A decent idea, but with holes you could drive a lorry through.

y friend, all i have done is pointed out when you are making up thinggs like people dont just turn up at football matches anymore because they do up and down the country I also do not and will not accept that brighton are special. I do nderstand there is a planning coondition currently in force and i do understand that time moves on and they can with th will f the board challenging the condition, be open to be relaxed. So get off your patronising high horse if you dont moind, oh and stop making up drivel to suit a case.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
y friend, all i have done is pointed out when you are making up thinggs like people dont just turn up at football matches anymore because they do up and down the country I also do not and will not accept that brighton are special.

So what? That's your problem.

I do nderstand there is a planning coondition currently in force and i do understand that time moves on and they can with th will f the board challenging the condition, be open to be relaxed. So get off your patronising high horse if you dont moind, oh and stop making up drivel to suit a case.

:lolol: Good one.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
y friend, all i have done is pointed out when you are making up thinggs like people dont just turn up at football matches anymore because they do up and down the country I also do not and will not accept that brighton are special. I do nderstand there is a planning coondition currently in force and i do understand that time moves on and they can with th will f the board challenging the condition, be open to be relaxed. So get off your patronising high horse if you dont moind, oh and stop making up drivel to suit a case.

All I can reply to this is :lolol:

Jamie

Jun 28, 2008
Why don't you ask the club IF the pay-on-the-gate decision can be challenged.

On second thoughts, don't bother. When they say "no", you won't believe them.

are we now agreed that btn v barnsley should be pay as you turn up like most other games in england?If so, then we move forward from there, or dont and lose fans.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
and derby my friend?..as for stoke, i recall their ground is like falmer, near the town, but also near the country, remember the east btn estates are 10 minutes walk from falmer

So you would take a chance on parking your jamjar in Moulsecoomb , hoping that it will still be there after the match ? :laugh:

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
I would like to be able to pay at the stadium as much as anyone.

BUT IT AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
I don't know what's funnier. This thread or the fact that Murray is getting absolutely RAPED

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
WRONG !!

The example of Millwall has appeared several times in this thread.

Ticket prices (East Stand Upper) for home fans at the next game (v Huddersfield) at the New Den (including on-line purchasers) are these:-

Bought in advance:
Adult £23
Senior (60+) £15
Junior U16s £12
Junior U12s £10

Bought on the day:
Adult £25
Senior (60+) £17
Junior U16s £14
Junior U12s £12

It's only away supporters who don't pay a surcharge for paying on the day.

Er…. where exactly did I mention Millwall ?

I was not making a comparison between home and away supporters, I was making the comparison between home supporters at different clubs and the fact remains that due to the restrictions placed on Withdean Brighton supporters still have to pay an additional ₤2 processing charge to purchase home tickets (as they cannot buy them at the ground) which the home supporters of other clubs do not have to pay as they can, if they wish, buy them at the ground. I assume this charge will remain the case when Falmer is operational.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Well done for stating the bleeding obvious. Now I will do the same. Pay at the gate would probably increase the gate. Pay at the gate would make segregation a impossible. Pay at the gate would not make Brovion go as he can't be arsed anyway. Charge only £10 to get in and that will increase the gate, better still, don't charge to get in and that will increase the gate even more.

I've been a sth for nigh on 30 years so I cannot really be arsed with people who aren't really interested in going because 'it ain't like it used to be'.

So, should people be able to pay at the ground. Possible, provided they are registered as Brighton fans and are using credit/debit cards that are traceable back to them. Will some people turn up and not be able to get in, probably but they will be a very small minority of people who haven't bothered to check what the arrangements are.

Stating the bleeding obvious is easy but not always practicable. The club have restrictions and we have to live with that.

Right my turn to ask questions now - Why does pay on the gate make segregation impossible? Why does everyone first have to be registered as a Brighton fan on a club datebase to get into the ground - one defeats the other, unless that was your aim? Moreover, credit cards and debit cards are usually traceable in my experience (!!) but again if you impose them as the only means of payment, then you're imposing a condition that defeats the first point. At which point I give up - you're obviously not in sales!!! And you make Falmer seem as if it's going to become an international terrorist centre with all your traceability, segregation etc demands. What an oppressive atmosphere it's going to be - congratulations, you're the first person to make me feel depressed about our new home!! And for the record, if you're inferring me with your slur about "ain't like it used to be" again, you're so far wide of the mark with I was saying it's funny. But then you've not really struck me as someone with listening skills :wrong:

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Er…. where exactly did I mention Millwall ?

I was not making a comparison between home and away supporters, I was making the comparison between home supporters at different clubs and the fact remains that due to the restrictions placed on Withdean Brighton supporters still have to pay an additional ₤2 processing charge to purchase home tickets (as they cannot buy them at the ground) which the home supporters of other clubs do not have to pay as they can, if they wish, buy them at the ground. I assume this charge will remain the case when Falmer is operational.

I think most people accept that the ticketing arrangements are beyond the control of the club. The annoying thing is that supporters will still have to pay a cover charge (at least ₤2 judging by the current fee) on top of the ticket price regardless of whether we buy a ticket by phone, internet, text etc and this is something supporters of other clubs do not have to pay if they buy a ticket on the day at their particular club.
You didn't mention Millwall specifically, but supporters of some other clubs DO have to pay a surcharge for buying on the day. LB was just giving you an example that what you assume and what happens in reality are 2 different things.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Can we conclude as follows

1. Some people would like to pay on the gate
2. Pay on the gate is likely to have a very marginal impact on attendance
3. Due to the planning conditions pay on the gate is never going to happen, unless Tony Bloom fancies throwing another £3million into an appeal and delaying the opening of Falmer.

Brighton M

Banned
Sep 22, 2006
Lancing
Some people do have quite snobbish attitudes towards this.

"Build it and they'll come" is what many have kidded themselves over the last decade.

Not quite, things need to be done properly and tickets need to be easily accessible or crowds won't be any higher than they are now.

HASSLE FREE is the way to go. Not sure how the club are going build a ticket office to cope with potentially thousands at Mill Road/Mithras etc.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
but supporters of some other clubs DO have to pay a surcharge for buying on the day.

……and some don’t. The implication of LB’s reply is that all clubs have to pay a surcharge for tickets bought on the gate which is not correct. I was not trying to get into a pissing contest (just about impossible on NSC) but rather to make the point that BHAFC is in a fairly unique position of having to abide by some stringent planning conditions, one of which means we cannot sell tickets at the ground on match days. Other clubs may levy surcharges and, presumably, their supporters can take this up with the clubs if they think they are unreasonable, Brighton fans cannot do this as the club can just point to circumstances beyond their control. When you add up all those ₤2 surcharges over the time we have been at Withdean it’s an awful lot of supporters money.

I'm not sure I'd have phrased it quite like that - remember that Lord B is one of those we have most to thank for having this stadium, IMHO, something I bear in mind when I don't agree with him (and I don't on this issue).

But I do think there is a point in there somewhere. It's about negotiation. Did we negotiate hard enough in the first instance, and take account of all fans' views, including casual fans? Can we still negotiate now? I can't believe the council want a white elephant stadium that can't be filled, and they should try and help in that regard.

As a similar example, I think the club caved in far too easily over the parking restrictions around Withdean. They were too draconian, and totally unnecessary.
I sat through DAYS of transport (and other) evidence presented at the two public inquiries. It is absolutely without doubt that the Club were NEVER going to get planning permission for a stadium ANYWHERE if they had persisted with the idea that tickets would be sold on matchdays at the stadium.

It's not a question of "caving in". It's a legal obligation that ANY application for ANY major development has to be accompanied by a clear demonstration that mechanisms are in place to restrict access by private cars and encourage access by public transport. Selling tickets at railway stations and park and ride sites achieves that. Not selling tickets at locations that will be reached by private cars (ie the stadium itself) is another part of the way this works.

The Council didn't make these rules. The government did - and before anyone imagines that "Dave" Cameron will be any different, it's worth recalling that these rules were first introduced by a Conservative government, not New Labour.

That's why on-the-day tickets will be sold to public transport users - for most people, just a ten or fifteen minute ride away from the Stadium - at sites that are incredibly easy to get to.

I can't see how this will make it "difficult" to make a decision on Saturday lunchtime that you want to go to a match.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports