Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
My Nan used to pay at the gate

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Look Drew, Alex Dawson, Westdene

All I bloody well said in defence of Jamie the poor bloke who has raised a decent point was that the more bloody means of payment, including pay at the bloody gate (or pay at the stadium e.g. within a, say, radius of approx 300 yards of the official playing surface for all those ever so bloody pedantic types who need every term defining FFS or they pick your sentences apart....) that we provide then it simply stands to reason that you'll get more fans attending because they have more options to pay with. It's a basic bloody point of bloody retail because you've increased the ease of taking money off people. BUT!! This basic principle of sales doesn't necessarily mean....
a) I think the club should do this
b) I think the club will do this
c) I know the club can do it
d) I know the club can't do it
e) I know the club would like to do it
f) It's my preferred method of payment
g) I can't be arsed to call for tickets in advance
h) I want the club to come and collect me and chaffeur me to the ground
i) I don't realise there are costs associated with taking cash, and like any means of payment, a cost-benefit approach should be undertaken

.....because I'll be a STH anyway. I'm just stating the bleedin obvious because it seems, given it's gone to 220+posts, some of you need it stating. Now *** off and leave me alone for christ's sake.:tantrum::US:

Jamie

Jun 28, 2008
Meanwhile, back in the real world, that sort of stuff doesn't happen at new stadia any more, so getting doughy-eyed over your preferred payment method is utterly futile.

Besides which, how inconvenient is a phone call, especially when you're already en route? :shrug:

er yes TLO it would help if you lived in the real world. Do you ever go to away games? Over the last few years the only game where I could not get in by paying at the ground was palace for crowd trouble reasons. So why do you deliberately misunderstand what peoplee say and then basically make up things to try and back up an argument where you have no answer? Just a few games i have been to over the last few years where i have turned up at the ground and got in with a cheery smile of a club that wanted my custom are, brentford, millwall, leyton orient, leeds, gillingham... anyone else want to add to the list?.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Look Drew, Alex Dawson, Westdene

All I bloody well said in defence of Jamie the poor bloke who has raised a decent point was that the more bloody means of payment, including pay at the bloody gate (or pay at the stadium e.g. within a, say, radius of approx 300 yards of the official playing surface for all those ever so bloody pedantic types who need every term defining FFS or they pick your sentences apart....) that we provide then it simply stands to reason that you'll get more fans attending because they have more options to pay with. It's a basic bloody point of bloody retail because you've increased the ease of taking money off people. BUT!! This basic principle of sales doesn't necessarily mean....
a) I think the club should do this
b) I think the club will do this
c) I know the club can do it
d) I know the club can't do it
e) I know the club would like to do it
f) It's my preferred method of payment
g) I can't be arsed to call for tickets in advance
h) I want the club to come and collect me and chaffeur me to the ground
i) I don't realise there are costs associated with taking cash, and like any means of payment, a cost-benefit approach should be undertaken

.....because I'll be a STH anyway. I'm just stating the bleedin obvious because it seems, given it's gone to 220+posts, some of you need it stating. Now *** off and leave me alone for christ's sake.:tantrum::US:

Well done for stating the bleeding obvious. Now I will do the same. Pay at the gate would probably increase the gate. Pay at the gate would make segregation a impossible. Pay at the gate would not make Brovion go as he can't be arsed anyway. Charge only £10 to get in and that will increase the gate, better still, don't charge to get in and that will increase the gate even more.

I've been a sth for nigh on 30 years so I cannot really be arsed with people who aren't really interested in going because 'it ain't like it used to be'.

So, should people be able to pay at the ground. Possible, provided they are registered as Brighton fans and are using credit/debit cards that are traceable back to them. Will some people turn up and not be able to get in, probably but they will be a very small minority of people who haven't bothered to check what the arrangements are.

Stating the bleeding obvious is easy but not always practicable. The club have restrictions and we have to live with that.

er yes TLO it would help if you lived in the real world. Do you ever go to away games? Over the last few years the only game where I could not get in by paying at the ground was palace for crowd trouble reasons. So why do you deliberately misunderstand what peoplee say and then basically make up things to try and back up an argument where you have no answer? Just a few games i have been to over the last few years where i have turned up at the ground and got in with a cheery smile of a club that wanted my custom are, brentford, millwall, leyton orient, leeds, gillingham... anyone else want to add to the list?.

I see that TLO was refering to teams with new stadia, any on your list with one of these?

Jamie

Jun 28, 2008
I see that TLO was refering to teams with new stadia, any on your list with one of these?

and anyway what a fig of difference does it make whether iots a new ground or not, the wrong impression that TLO was giving was that the days of turning up and paying were gone, well er, no they are not for the vast majority of grounds in the country. .. as for the list i will add darlington, but that is a flyer as not been to the new ground but something tells me they would be happy for my custom if i did.

I think most people accept that the ticketing arrangements are beyond the control of the club. The annoying thing is that supporters will still have to pay a cover charge (at least ₤2 judging by the current fee) on top of the ticket price regardless of whether we buy a ticket by phone, internet, text etc and this is something supporters of other clubs do not have to pay if they buy a ticket on the day at their particular club.
WRONG !!

The example of Millwall has appeared several times in this thread.

Ticket prices (East Stand Upper) for home fans at the next game (v Huddersfield) at the New Den (including on-line purchasers) are these:-

Bought in advance:
Adult £23
Senior (60+) £15
Junior U16s £12
Junior U12s £10

Bought on the day:
Adult £25
Senior (60+) £17
Junior U16s £14
Junior U12s £12

It's only away supporters who don't pay a surcharge for paying on the day.

Jamie

Jun 28, 2008
WRONG !!

The example of Millwall has appeared several times in this thread.

Ticket prices (East Stand Upper) for home fans at the next game at the New Den (including on-line purchasers) are these:-

Bought in advance:
Adult £23
Senior (60+) £15
Junior U16s £12
Junior U12s £10

Bought on the day:
Adult £25
Senior (60+) £17
Junior U16s £14
Junior U12s £12

It's only away supporters who don't pay a surcharge for paying on the day.

thank you my friend, see you can pay on the day and the world does not come to an end, now lets have this at the albion as well

thank you my friend, see you can pay on the day and the world does not come to an end, now lets have this at the albion as well
Once AGAIN ... There is NO-ONE connected to the Albion who is going to be able to change the planning conditions that are in force.

Those conditions didn't apply when The New Den was built in 1993.

It was only when John Selwyn Gummer became Secretary of State for the Environment that planning law started to require serious conditions like "Transport Management Plans" being included in major developments.

Jamie

Jun 28, 2008
Once AGAIN ... There is NO-ONE connected to the Albion who is going to be able to change the planning conditions that are in force.

Those conditions didn't apply when The New Den was built in 1993.

you waive the white flag vey easiy my friend. Dont acept bloody stupid rules, challenge them. As i have said before, the club needs to challenge any planning regulation that stops turning up on the day to watch a game of good old albion versus the mighty barnsley. It can should and in time, no doubt one day will eventually be done. Stupidity cannot be allowd to prvail

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Just a few games i have been to over the last few years where i have turned up at the ground and got in with a cheery smile of a club that wanted my custom are, brentford, millwall, leyton orient, leeds, gillingham... anyone else want to add to the list?.

All clubs in the fortunate position of (a) already being in an urbanised town/city centre and (b) because of that fact, not having had to construct a stadium with a fully integrated transport policy to serve it. They don't NEED to muck about with park and rides and suchlike, because fans can easily arrive in cars and park pretty much wherever. That is NOT the case in Falmer, is it.

you waive the white flag vey easiy my friend. Dont acept bloody stupid rules, challenge them. As i have said before, the club needs to challenge any planning regulation that stops turning up on the day to watch a game of good old albion versus the mighty barnsley. It can should and in time, no doubt one day will eventually be done. Stupidity cannot be allowd to prvail
Actually ... the conditions that discourage severe traffic congestion resulting from major developments are NOT "bloody stupid rules".

They are mainstream features of the modern world. You might not like them, but you are stuck with them.

Jamie

Jun 28, 2008
All clubs in the fortunate position of (a) already being in an urbanised town/city centre and (b) because of that fact, not having had to construct a stadium with a fully integrated transport policy to serve it. They don't NEED to muck about with park and rides and suchlike, because fans can easily arrive in cars and park pretty much wherever. That is NOT the case in Falmer, is it.

went to derby a few years ago, the new groun out of town) turned up, got a few pennies out of my pocket and got in... oh i forgot stoke as well ..

Jamie

Jun 28, 2008
Actually ... the conditions that discourage severe traffic congestion resulting from major developments are NOT "bloody stupid rules".

They are mainstream features of the modern world. You might not like them, but you are stuck with them.

rubbish drivel and nonsense, almost as much as TLO's attempt to try and argue that nobody turns up and pays anymore. Btn v barnsley will not cause traffic chaos ! You do make me laugh, did you type that with a straight face?

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003

I'm not sure I'd have phrased it quite like that - remember that Lord B is one of those we have most to thank for having this stadium, IMHO, something I bear in mind when I don't agree with him (and I don't on this issue).

But I do think there is a point in there somewhere. It's about negotiation. Did we negotiate hard enough in the first instance, and take account of all fans' views, including casual fans? Can we still negotiate now? I can't believe the council want a white elephant stadium that can't be filled, and they should try and help in that regard.

As a similar example, I think the club caved in far too easily over the parking restrictions around Withdean. They were too draconian, and totally unnecessary.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
went to derby a few years ago, the new groun out of town) turned up, got a few pennies out of my pocket and got in... oh i forgot stoke as well ..

I've been to Stoke as well. Parked in a street 10 mins walk away.
What are you going to do at Falmer, find a field ?

Jamie

Jun 28, 2008
I've been to Stoke as well. Parked in a street 10 mins walk away.
What are you going to do at Falmer, find a field ?

and derby my friend?..as for stoke, i recall their ground is like falmer, near the town, but also near the country, remember the east btn estates are 10 minutes walk from falmer

Jamie

Jun 28, 2008
I'm not sure I'd have phrased it quite like that - remember that Lord B is one of those we have most to thank for having this stadium, IMHO, something I bear in mind when I don't agree with him (and I don't on this issue).

But I do think there is a point in there somewhere. It's about negotiation. Did we negotiate hard enough in the first instance, and take account of all fans' views, including casual fans? Can we still negotiate now? I can't believe the council want a white elephant stadium that can't be filled, and they should try and help in that regard.

As a similar example, I think the club caved in far too easily over the parking restrictions around Withdean. They were too draconian, and totally unnecessary.

the albion fans were fantastic as im sure was lord b. But the harsh reality is that tony bloom is the person, with dk and their board that kept the club afloat with their money, are the people to thank for the ground.. particularly tony bloom who is apparently now £93 Million poorer!

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Why don't you ask the club IF the pay-on-the-gate decision can be challenged.

On second thoughts, don't bother. When they say "no", you won't believe them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here