Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Falmer pay on gate?

seagull1971

Aug 8, 2003
Cyprus
Must point out this is an excellent thread with a lot of interesting points , albeit a lot of dick heads as well.

Appologies if someone has already asked this, I joined the thread late.

ASK THE f***ing INSIDER

Again an excellent thread well done !

My 'contribution' to the debate is that as a lapsed, fairweather, plastic, armchair, part-time, all-round 'bad' fan I want to get a ticket at the last moment with minimum, indeed zero effort apart from actually dragging my carcass down to the stadium.

I think that you, and others in your position, will have to accept that being able to purchase a ticket at the park & ride or train station is the minimum effort required to attend a football match. We will not ever see a return (for new stadia) to buying tickets on the gate and, like it or lump it, it is something that all football crowds will have to get used to.

It may, in the short term, put some people off attending. Unfortunately we will have to live with that, until it becomes the 'norm' for people wanting to attend football matches getting on their phone either to ring the ticket office or book online. People are getting more and more used to mobile phone technology; I'm sure in 5 years time any fairweather fan wanting to buy a ticket will get online on their mobile and book a ticket while en route to the ground with no hassle whatsoever.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
...What concerns me and others is the local, casual fan who decides on the spur of the moment that they want to attend. Now I think most of us do have a modicum of knowledge of football and if the match we 'suddenly' decided to attend was Man U in the 5th round of the Cup I think we'll accept that it will probably be sold out weeks in advance and it's a waste of time even trying to get a ticket at so late a time. If however the match was something like last Saturday, Wycombe Wanderers at home when both teams are struggling in the third division, then there's almost a 100% probability that the match hasn't sold out in advance.

There will be a deluge of publicity surrounding the opening of the new stadium, tickets, travel etc... special offers etc...

I think you are making a MAHOOSIVE great mountain out of a tiny molehill.

Anyway, it will come down to the product in the end. If the football is attractive, people (and you have said this yourself) will come whatever the ticketing/travel arrangements. If it is dire, then we, like many other clubs, will struggling for peoples interest.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
There will be a deluge of publicity surrounding the opening of the new stadium, tickets, travel etc... special offers etc...

I think you are making a MAHOOSIVE great mountain out of a tiny molehill.

Anyway, it will come down to the product in the end. If the football is attractive, people (and you have said this yourself) will come whatever the ticketing/travel arrangements. If it is dire, then we, like many other clubs, will struggling for peoples interest.

Agreed. If the football is great we will fill it and if it's crap, fairweather fans won't want to come anyway.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
My 'contribution' to the debate is that as a lapsed, fairweather, plastic, armchair, part-time, all-round 'bad' fan I want to get a ticket at the last moment with minimum, indeed zero effort apart from actually dragging my carcass down to the stadium.

Meanwhile, back in the real world, that sort of stuff doesn't happen at new stadia any more, so getting doughy-eyed over your preferred payment method is utterly futile.

Besides which, how inconvenient is a phone call, especially when you're already en route? :shrug:

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003

mr sheen

Jan 17, 2008
Meanwhile, back in the real world, that sort of stuff doesn't happen at new stadia any more, so getting doughy-eyed over your preferred payment method is utterly futile.

Besides which, how inconvenient is a phone call, especially when you're already en route? :shrug:

If he can't seem him self raising his carcass out of his chair, it's a poor show

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Just get on with it, no need to make a whole-meal of the issue.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
I don't think there is any knead for a split-tin the camp over this one, hopefully we have wrapped it up now, it would be a pitta to keep going on and on about it.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
I think most people accept that the ticketing arrangements are beyond the control of the club. The annoying thing is that supporters will still have to pay a cover charge (at least ₤2 judging by the current fee) on top of the ticket price regardless of whether we buy a ticket by phone, internet, text etc and this is something supporters of other clubs do not have to pay if they buy a ticket on the day at their particular club.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

What sort of stuff doesn't happen? (Remember I wasn't going on about cash). And I have a phobia about using the phone.

Hovis could still run for a bit longer.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Got a gut feeling that the number of STH will actually drop when Falmer opens for business. At Withdean there was initially that hassle of getting Championship tickets or even top end of League One tickets. Who remembers entering a ballot for the privilege of a ticket to Withdean? Who remembers spending an hour or more trying to get through to a permanently-engaged ticket office for that same privilege?

That was then, this is now.

Many of us have bought STH out of a combined sense of duty and/or charity for a few seasons now. Or even out of habit. We like the people we sit with, we like to feel we've been contributing to the club's continued existence by paying over the odds for several seasons now. Travel Voucher my arse. That ticket is at least a fiver too expensive.

Falmer is a whole new ball game. The club should in no way be complacent about renewal rates at the new stadium, and should assume that the on-the-gate impulse buyer should be fully catered for.

IMHO, like.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
...Falmer is a whole new ball game. The club should in no way be complacent about renewal rates at the new stadium, and should assume that the on-the-gate impulse buyer should be fully catered for.

IMHO, like.

I agree with this.. and the club will have to make season tickets much more attractive compared to regular ticket prices (as most clubs with large stadiums in the lower reaches of the football pyramid have to).

However, any former STH is going to be pretty well clued up on purchasing one-off tickets, so I don't think they will add much to the molehill.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Got a gut feeling that the number of STH will actually drop when Falmer opens for business. At Withdean there was initially that hassle of getting Championship tickets or even top end of League One tickets. ................................Falmer is a whole new ball game. The club should in no way be complacent about renewal rates at the new stadium, and should assume that the on-the-gate impulse buyer should be fully catered for.

IMHO, like.

Good points. I think the STH's might increase as people who have not stayed the course at Withdean (like me) return and want to sit together again. It will be interesting to see what happens.

But it should be made as easy as possible to buy and go on the day. There are loads of people who want to do this. And I mean loads.

One major disincentive for Withdean is removed however - and that is the potential for sitting out in the rain for two hours.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I agree with this.. and the club will have to make season tickets much more attractive compared to regular ticket prices (as most clubs with large stadiums in the lower reaches of the football pyramid have to).

However, any former STH is going to be pretty well clued up on purchasing one-off tickets, so I don't think they will add much to the molehill.
Oh Titanic, Titanic, Titanic. What can I say? I've read that several times and there is NO bread pun. Very disappointed in you.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here