Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Falmer pay on gate?

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
*Sigh* Another one who's missed the point. Walking to the ground will be my choice as walking is something I enjoy doing. Hanging on a telephone or going out of my way to buy a ticket is NOT something I enjoy doing - especially as I can think of better ways to spend my time (and money) as opposed to wasting it watching a poor third divison football team play a shit match against another poor third division team. Unlike others I'm not too fussed about handing over cash at a turnstile but I expect the club to make the ticketing process as painless and as easy as possible. And I will decide what is 'easy' and what is too much effort. Ok?

A totally valid point, but it's not connected to the issue of selling tickets at the ground.

If the club put in place a decent phone system and had enough staff to ensure that you don't have to queue for ages on the phone it would solve most of your concerns. There are loads of ways that this process can be automated. If they really wanted to get it sorted a solution could be in place by next week.

At the moment it is still difficult for fairweather fans to get a ticket. I spoke to a mate the other week who hadn't been to The Withdean for a couple of seasons and phoned up to get a ticket, only to be told that his details hadn't been transferred to the new database and he would have to fill out a form to get one. That is shit, and is bound to put people off.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Well said. Don't want poxy plastic cards. Don't mind if I have to buy a ticket from a machine on Falmer, or Brighton, station - but don't want to have to book in advance; just not a practical proposition for some of us. If some matches are going to be sell-outs, then fair enough, ticket only - but otherwise I want to be able to make a decision on the day - and not by phone or on the internet either!

I don't get this. It will be SO much easier with a card. Just keep it in your wallet and when you want to go to a match just send a text or phone a number and it will be added to your card. No queueing for a machine, no arsing around at brighton station.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I'm not surprised you can't be arsed to go on arguing because despite what you say you HAVE missed the point. It's not a question of me cutting off my nose to spite my face, it's not like I'll be sitting at home thinking "I really really want to go and see Brighton play but I can't be arsed to sort out a ticket in advance." The bottom line is nowadays I am a 'plastic' Brighton fan and I DON'T really want to spend quite a lot of money watching a crap football team play a crap match, and in order to get me there the whole matchday 'experience' should be as pleasant and as hassle-free as possible. (The alternative of course is to get a winning team playing big games as opposed to the current shower of shite. Even us plastics will be more inclined to put ourselves out then)

Anyway, like you say it is pointless to go on arguing because as a 'real' fan you don't understand. Seriously, you don't. The bottom line is it doesn't matter what you or any of the other 'real' fans think - if it isn't easy for casual supporters to just turn up on the day (and get away afterwards) then it will just be the 7-8000 of you there. And no amount of bleating about how lazy, disorganised or ignorant we are is going to help.

Good, at least that's sorted. You won't be coming.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
And you don't worry that there might be many others like him?

Of course there will be others like him but I believe there will be far more who don't mind picking up a phone to buy a ticket or going online for 5 minutes before they set off on their journey to Falmer.

He seems to be from part generation that just turned up at the Goldstone and paid at the gate but hasn't noticed the world has moved on since those times. The fact is the club have certain restrictions imposed on them due to planning regs and they also have to control who gets into the ground and where they sit.

Old Brovion will be the first to complain if he strolled up from over the hill, paid his cash at the gate and ended up with 30 opposing fans sitting around him. You have to accept that some people are never happy.

Last edited:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Of course there will be others like him but I believe there will be far more who don't mind picking up a phone to buy a ticket or going online for 5 minutes before they set off on their journey to Falmer.
But equally "of course" that is true, but that really isn't the issue here. The real issue is how many people won't turn up because of the "perceived" arse-ache of having to book over the phone with a plastic card. I think perception is everything.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
The other issue is how people will know about not being able to pay on the gate.

We all do as we have discussed it to death. but outside in the real world when falmer is finished there are going to be a of people turning up at the stadium wanting to see the game without a ticket thinking the can pay on the gate,

hence coming to the ground without a ticket ironically the exact scenario that the reason for not being able to pay on the gate was implemented for.:shrug:

The other issue is how people will know about not being able to pay on the gate.

We all do as we have discussed it to death. but outside in the real world when falmer is finished there are going to be a of people turning up at the stadium wanting to see the game without a ticket thinking the can pay on the gate,

hence coming to the ground without a ticket ironically the exact scenario that the reason for not being able to pay on the gate was implemented for.:shrug:

I guess the same way that people know that they can't pay on the gate at Withdean.
And how will these people get to the stadium anyway?
You won't be able to use the cark parking or the P&R buses unless you've got a valid "ticket" and if there are match ticket points at the station(s) you can buy one there.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
I guess the same way that people know that they can't pay on the gate at Withdean.
And how will these people get to the stadium anyway?
You won't be able to use the cark parking or the P&R buses unless you've got a valid "ticket" and if there are match ticket points at the station(s) you can buy one there.

Fair point, so i guess they will only get as far as the car parks then.
Being devils advocate, they may use service buses or the train, or if really keen cycle.

Even at withean still at every home game i get at least one person saying "where can i get a ticket".
And one that really sticks out last season was away fans, a guy with two young children came off the P&R bus from Mill road , and after finding they could not get tickets, came back to the P&R stop with a steward asking if the driver would take them back to Mill road, (apparently the drivers were not supposed to) and did, can't remember which game but do remember it was around 4 hour drive home for them without seeing the game.
Ironically is was a game where there were only 150 Aways anyway.so there end was empty.

So it will happen.

Another thought has occurred to me, currently you can buy a ticket over the phone and collect it at "The Withdean", so how do they use the P&R if they don't have the voucher ? i assume the drivers only ask for them on service bussed and not the dedicated P&R ones ?

Last edited:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
The other issue is how people will know about not being able to pay on the gate. conversely, how many football fans automatically assume you can pay on the gate anyway?

I doubt very much that anyone will turn up expecting to pay on the gate. If someone has never been to football before or even if they have never been to Falmer before, they are going to check up on things. Transport for example, parking. I very much doubt someone sitting in a pub on a Saturday lunchtime will, having never been before, suddenly decide they are going to Falmer for the football (assuming of course they are aware there is a home game that week!). They are going to get up and make their way there without asking anyone for advice, ie which bus should I get, which stand can I go in? Is it easy to park. How much is it?

If someone is really that thick, do we want them to be associated with the Albion.

You imply that we are some sort of secular society, us Albion fans. Just to remind you, we are in fact part of the the real world. In the real world, people get information. They get it on their computers, mobile phones etc. It isn't difficult and it isn't hard.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Fair point, so i guess they will only get as far as the car parks then.
Being devils advocate, they may use service buses or the train, or if really keen cycle.

Even at withean still at every home game i get at least one person saying "where can i get a ticket".
And one that really sticks out last season was away fans, a guy with two young children came off the P&R bus from Mill road , and after finding they could not get tickets, came back to the P&R stop with a steward asking if the driver would take them back to Mill road, (apparently the drivers were not supposed to) and did, can't remember which game but do remember it was around 4 hour drive home for them without seeing the game.
Ironically is was a game where there were only 150 Aways anyway.so there end was empty.

So it will happen.

Another though has occurred to me, currently you can buy a ticket over the phone and collect it at "The Withdean", so how do they use the P&R if they don't have the voucher ? i assume the drivers only ask for them on service bussed and not the dedicated P&R ones ?

You will always get exceptions. A guy travels to an away game with out checking then more fool him. I have no sympathy for him but do for his kids who have ended up with a dumbarse father.

As for the P&R, you just have to say to them you are picking up the ticket from the ground and they accept that.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
So you think the club should sell tickets for cash on the day of a game. Would you sanction them selling say 200 tickets for cash to a bunch of 30 somethings who turn up on the morning of a game against Palace, or Millwall or West Ham or Portsmouth etc. No ID but hey, their money is as good as anyone elses. Or are the only people that can pay at the gate the elderly and people who wear a badge saying 'I'm not a regular but decided to come today'.

What the hell is wrong with ringing the club before you travel to buy your ticket or going on line. What happens when you get to Haywards Heath station and find a queue of 40/50 people trying to get a ticket for the game. It's frustrating enough when you are only standing behind a couple of people who can't even operate a parking ticket machine.

It seems to me that the people who are whinging all the time about this just want everything on a plate. It's not as if the club are going out of their way to actually make it difficult. People can spend hours on a football forum but can't be arsed to spend 5 minutes on the phone or on the official website. It beggars belief.

Er, this thread is about Falmer. Not Withdean. And boy, do you need to get some anger-management.

Anyway, ref you're assumption everyone's going to come for a ruck that doesn't have a ticket, well I didn't when I came to the Goldstone in answer to that. And don't we have stewards for that anyway? Backed up with CCTV and policemen.

ref: all you other points, return to my original post, re-read it, especially the bit about accepting all means of exchange and the fact that CASH is still one of them. Actually don't bother because you're completely and utterly set in your ways and certainly has little idea about consumerism. I'll save the big fat told you so for when Falmer attendances aren't maximised IF pay at the turnstiles isn't an option.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Good, at least that's sorted. You won't be coming.
No, I never said that. I said ..... Oh, what's the use. Yes, I won't be going. I'll wait until the Albion get into the Premiership and then I'll simply watch the matches on Sky.

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
As long as there is pay on the day (and I know that there will be) then surely there isn't a problem. Remember the ground is out of town as opposed to in town like the Goldstone was. We will need to travel to it.

Most people tend to plan their weekends/ mid week in advance, so for those supporters there will need to be upto date automated ticketing or on line tickets booths

For the more casual fan if they travel to the ground by train, then there will need to be some kind of ticketing at the station(s)

If the casual fan goes by car, then there will need to be some kind of ticketing at the park and ride(s)

For those casual fans who take the bus, bike, cycle or walk then there will need to be other kinds of ways to get tickets. E-tickets by mob phone being one of them.

As long as those measures in place surely we are covering everyone. If cash transactions aren't in place at the ground, then people will be forced to obtain tickets as the club sets out. We must be surely talking of very very few people who will refuse to use other options in obtaining tickets and simply not go cos the club dont take cash at the ground on the day.

Good god. How did a thread on a topic over which the club have absolutely NO control, and therefore NO choice, run into TEN BLOODY PAGES?

To all those talking about floating fans; the people that aren't regulars are exactly the type of people, in my experience, that DO research before turning up at the ground. If you are talking about Brightonians, surely they will all know someone that has been to the ground, and therefore find out about the ticketing arrangements? And those coming from further afield (as I do) will go online and check ticketing details. Those bemoaning the unavailability of tickets on the gate are simply those that are harking back to 'the way things used to be'. Things aren't that way anymore, and I'm afraid you'll have to get used to it.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Good god. How did a thread on a topic over which the club have absolutely NO control, and therefore NO choice, run into TEN BLOODY PAGES?

To all those talking about floating fans; the people that aren't regulars are exactly the type of people, in my experience, that DO research before turning up at the ground. If you are talking about Brightonians, surely they will all know someone that has been to the ground, and therefore find out about the ticketing arrangements? And those coming from further afield (as I do) will go online and check ticketing details. Those bemoaning the unavailability of tickets on the gate are simply those that are harking back to 'the way things used to be'. Things aren't that way anymore, and I'm afraid you'll have to get used to it.

exactly.... AND there will be a FLOOD of publicity as the stadium opens about ticketing arrangements, special offers etc...

ref: all you other points, return to my original post, re-read it, especially the bit about accepting all means of exchange and the fact that CASH is still one of them. Actually don't bother because you're completely and utterly set in your ways and certainly has little idea about consumerism. I'll save the big fat told you so for when Falmer attendances aren't maximised IF pay at the turnstiles isn't an option.

1) I don't think anyone has claimed that you won't be able to use cash to buy a ticket, I'm sure that the BHA ticket office will continue to accept this.
2) Pay on the gate is just not going to happen at Falmer for all the location, transport, parking, congestion, local disruption etc reasons that were done to death at the two public enquiries and have subsequently been incorporated into the two planning consents.
If the new stadium had been built elsewhere then perhaps it would have been possible but it's at Falmer and from what we've been told this site was the only viable option from the eight(?) considered. The Secretary of State came to the same conclusion and that's why she granted planning permission.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Er, this thread is about Falmer. Not Withdean. And boy, do you need to get some anger-management.

Anyway, ref you're assumption everyone's going to come for a ruck that doesn't have a ticket, well I didn't when I came to the Goldstone in answer to that. And don't we have stewards for that anyway? Backed up with CCTV and policemen.

Sorry, don't get what you're on about. I know it's about Falmer. I never said everyone is going to come for a ruck. It doesn't have to be everyone for there to be trouble. If it was cash on the gate then there is more likelihood that previously banned individuals from both home and away support would then be able to easily get in.

As for being set in my ways, think you should reconsider that statement. Aren't those advocating cash the ones set in their ways. This is afterall the 21st Century and I believe since 2007, plastic payments in stores outstrips those by cash which will at some stage in the future probaly disappear altogether. I am happy to consider other methods of payment, it's the cash troglodytes that are stuck in the dark ages.

At the end of the day, it doesn't really bother me whether you pay by cash or not as long as you have id. The trouble with this thread is that it seems there are some that think the club should bend over backwards to accomodate anyone who may, in the next 10 years show the merest whiff of a whim to turn up at Falmer without checking any details first.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

I think there are two related but separate arguments going on at the same time. As you say I don't think ANYBODY from outside the area is going to turn up without having done an element of research. And if you ARE coming from outside the area then almost by definition you will have planned the visit in advance and will know what you have to do in order to get a ticket and (if necessary) a parking space.

What concerns me and others is the local, casual fan who decides on the spur of the moment that they want to attend. Now I think most of us do have a modicum of knowledge of football and if the match we 'suddenly' decided to attend was Man U in the 5th round of the Cup I think we'll accept that it will probably be sold out weeks in advance and it's a waste of time even trying to get a ticket at so late a time. If however the match was something like last Saturday, Wycombe Wanderers at home when both teams are struggling in the third division, then there's almost a 100% probability that the match hasn't sold out in advance.

My 'contribution' to the debate is that as a lapsed, fairweather, plastic, armchair, part-time, all-round 'bad' fan I want to get a ticket at the last moment with minimum, indeed zero effort apart from actually dragging my carcass down to the stadium.

Titaninc and Drew please don't reply to this post. I think we've said everything we've got to say to each other on this matter.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here