Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Falmer pay on gate?

A question for Lord Bracknell, if a little off topic:

'green' transport policies are all well and good, but how are you supposed to get to the ground on Boxing Day from west of Worthing when there's no trains running? The only way is by car, unless we're going to make sure that we never get home matches on Boxing Day.

Also what about the 2 or 3 home games a season that Network Rail decide to dig up some part of the track?

While it's nice in theory to set out all of these policies that force punters to use public transport it would help to make sure that the public transport network is actually there, which for several games per season, every season, it isn't.

My understanding is it's a Condition of the Planning Consent that events at the Falmer Stadium have to operate within the remit of a Transport Management Plan and this has to be approved by B&HCC before the stadium can be brought into use.
Use of public transport will form an intergral part of the TMP so if this were known to be unavailable or seriously restricted for any reason, then re-arranging the event (game) would seem to be an option as could restricting the capacity, in order to avoid breaching the Planning Consent.
Depending on the final TMP proposed, the Council may even decide that a 22,500 capacity crowd is unacceptable anyway - who knows?

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
My understanding is it's a Condition of the Planning Consent that events at the Falmer Stadium have to operate within the remit of a Transport Management Plan and this has to be approved by B&HCC before the stadium can be brought into use.
Use of public transport will form an intergral part of the TMP so if this were known to be unavailable or seriously restricted for any reason, then re-arranging the event (game) would seem to be an option as could restricting the capacity, in order to avoid breaching the Planning Consent.
Depending on the final TMP proposed, the Council may even decide that a 22,500 capacity crowd is unacceptable anyway - who knows?

I really hope that the TMP is able to cope and we don't find ourselves with a reduced capapcity!

Do you think many people will opt to walk to the stadium or will most people be coming by train or local bus services?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home

blimey....I hope that is not an "informed view"

So we could conceivably not have a game on a bixing day as there are no trains!

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Until cash is not used as a means of exchange, I think the club would be foolish to rule it out as a means to pay. It stands to reason that the more means of payment you accept, the more customers you will serve. Outside of battering (though that could be an interesting development) the desire to pay cash on the gate is still a highly used means of payment, especially by the elderly and "odd-occasion" supporter (though not exclusively)

Jamies argument, like it or not, is highly valid and abuse entirely unjustified.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Until cash is not used as a means of exchange, I think the club would be foolish to rule it out as a means to pay. It stands to reason that the more means of payment you accept, the more customers you will serve. Outside of battering (though that could be an interesting development) the desire to pay cash on the gate is still a highly used means of payment, especially by the elderly and "odd-occasion" supporter (though not exclusively)

Jamies argument, like it or not, is highly valid and abuse entirely unjustified.

i think that's what you call a freudian slip!:clap2:

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
It may well be the case that the agreed Transport Management Plan requires ALL the available parking spaces (at Falmer High School and Sussex University) to be sold in advance to ticket holders who will travel in a "multi-occupancy" car.

When you have quoted something regarding planning it as been as a statement of fact, but your latest one says "It may well be the case" as in it might not be true ?

Selling parking spaces to "multi-occupancy" cars only. ????? how's HB&B going to get there then ?

And what about match day staff ? what provision will be made for them and will they have to be in "multi-occupancy" cars ?

When you have quoted something regarding planning it as been as a statement of fact, but your latest one says "It may well be the case" as in it might not be true ?

I think LB's suggesting what could be proposed by the Club in a Transport Management Plan, not commenting on Planning legislation etc. It is a condition of the Planning Consent that the Club has to submit a TMP to B&HCC and have it approved by them before the stadium can be brought into use.

Selling parking spaces to "multi-occupancy" cars only. ????? how's HB&B going to get there then ?

:laugh:

And what about match day staff ? what provision will be made for them and will they have to be in "multi-occupancy" cars ?

There'll be a car park at the stadium for staff etc with approx 150 places.

blimey....I hope that is not an "informed view"

So we could conceivably not have a game on a bixing day as there are no trains!

Just a personal view DtG; I attended the last two Planning Committee meetings, listened to what was said and have read the planning consents issued by both the Sec of State and B&HCC.
I've no inside knowledge from the Club but perhaps with more immediate priorities (new management, building the stadium, Murray's lack of waving etc) they've not addressed the TMP in detail with the Council as yet - who knows?....................

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Once upon a time many years ago I went to Smelhusrt Park with some people from work. It was the night the Albion got dicked at Middlesbrough in the League Cup and i had to listne to the local feral youth celebrating the half time score from the north east.

Anyway point of the story was that in the queue at the turnstiles there was an American tourist who simply presented his credit card and asked for "two tickets please". The locals laughed at him - not for risking flashing a credit card in the slum, but the very idea that you could simply pay with a card on the gate.

I mean how ridiculous?

When I am selling, I couldn't imagine turning down unsolicited sales, but it seems that at football, we do. Imagine if you had to buy a ticket in advance or you weren't allowed to go to the cinema, the theatre, the sports centre or on the train.

We must do everything possible to take people's money and sell them a ticket, and of course this includes making it easy for people to come to Falmer and buy a ticket on the day.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

So you think the club should sell tickets for cash on the day of a game. Would you sanction them selling say 200 tickets for cash to a bunch of 30 somethings who turn up on the morning of a game against Palace, or Millwall or West Ham or Portsmouth etc. No ID but hey, their money is as good as anyone elses. Or are the only people that can pay at the gate the elderly and people who wear a badge saying 'I'm not a regular but decided to come today'.

What the hell is wrong with ringing the club before you travel to buy your ticket or going on line. What happens when you get to Haywards Heath station and find a queue of 40/50 people trying to get a ticket for the game. It's frustrating enough when you are only standing behind a couple of people who can't even operate a parking ticket machine.

It seems to me that the people who are whinging all the time about this just want everything on a plate. It's not as if the club are going out of their way to actually make it difficult. People can spend hours on a football forum but can't be arsed to spend 5 minutes on the phone or on the official website. It beggars belief.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
A fairweather fan speaks ...

I don't go to Withdean that much and one of the reasons I don't go is because it's too much of a kerfuffle to get tickets. This is especially true if I've made a snap decision to attend on a Saturday morning.

So we're at Falmer, playing at home against someone like Walsall or Mansfield in a bog-standard, mid-table third division game. As a fairweather fan:

1 - I can't be arsed to faff about on-line.

2 - I can't be arsed to make a phone call. Maybe I could if it was an automated system and it was QUICK (e.g. it recognised my number and let me buy a ticket with a minimum of keystrokes) but I don't want to sit in a queue.

3 - I CERTAINLY cannot be arsed to go to a remote ticket point, buy a ticket and then go onto the ground. Indeed I would baulk at the idea of having to queue twice at the stadium, once to get the ticket and once to get into the ground.

I quite like the idea of the swipecard, but the bottom line is I want it to be EASY with a minimum of effort on my part. Hopefully that will be possible.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I think as long as its publicised how to buy tickets then it shouldn't be a problem.

Trouble is the marketing for the club has been shit for years and hopefully with it being "under new management" this may change.

I mean I bet even the decide on the day crew dont know you can get a ticket on the day via the website etc etc.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

I haven't seen any evidence that the club won't accept cash as a form of payment. It's WHERE you can buy the ticket that is key - you won't be able to buy a ticket at the ground. You WILL be able to buy a ticket at the P&P sites, train stations etc and no doubt with any form of legal payment.

Jamie has got most of the abuse ( deservedly so IMHO ) because he thinks it's as simple as the club saying we won't accept that planning condition and hey presto the authorities will back down.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
I think LB's suggesting what could be proposed by the Club in a Transport Management Plan, not commenting on Planning legislation etc. It is a condition of the Planning Consent that the Club has to submit a TMP to B&HCC and have it approved by them before the stadium can be brought into use.

:laugh:

There'll be a car park at the stadium for staff etc with approx 150 places.

Understand now, did not realise that the club still had to has to submit a TMP to B&HCC.
Thanks

Whitterz

Mmmmm? Marvellous
Aug 9, 2008
Eastbourne
As pay on the gate is a no no. I would hope the club invent ways in which supporters can purchase tickets in a variety of different ways.
I live in Eastbourne, so for me to purchase tickets online I would have to do this a few hours before kick off, as I would then have to get a train to Falmer. This system would be easier for fans living in say Lewes or Brighton, as they could leave it realativly late. The swipecard idea IS FANTASTIC I could make a transaction over the telephone and use my issued swipe card to get in the gate. Better still I could put a tenner a weak (or whatever amount) and let it build up, and then not have to worry about buying tickets, and just turn up as I please.

There is scope here, I hope the club maximises the potential of such a scheme, being as pay on the gate is not viable.

Still Im sure something will be done in the end...

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
A fairweather fan speaks ...

I don't go to Withdean that much and one of the reasons I don't go is because it's too much of a kerfuffle to get tickets. This is especially true if I've made a snap decision to attend on a Saturday morning.

So we're at Falmer, playing at home against someone like Walsall or Mansfield in a bog-standard, mid-table third division game. As a fairweather fan:

1 - I can't be arsed to faff about on-line.

2 - I can't be arsed to make a phone call. Maybe I could if it was an automated system and it was QUICK (e.g. it recognised my number and let me buy a ticket with a minimum of keystrokes) but I don't want to sit in a queue.

3 - I CERTAINLY cannot be arsed to go to a remote ticket point, buy a ticket and then go onto the ground. Indeed I would baulk at the idea of having to queue twice at the stadium, once to get the ticket and once to get into the ground.

I quite like the idea of the swipecard, but the bottom line is I want it to be EASY with a minimum of effort on my part. Hopefully that will be possible.

I can understand your point of view. I used to watch Man City about 8-10 times a season at Maine Road, part of the reason why was it was easy to pay on the gate. Since they have moved to the Council Stadium that is no longer feasible, and I go no more than once a year. There are a number of reasons for that, transport is more difficult, no pubs nearby, and a shit atmosphere as it is all seater and an athletics stadium converted into a football ground.

However, I must confess it is also because I am a lazy sod and can't be arsed to find out how easy it is to get a ticket, and when I found out that I needed a membership card (which cost money) I couldn't be bothered. It was the feeling that City were using the excuse of a membership card to part me from more cash that cheesed me off.

If however the card had been free, or the cost was deducted from the first match I watched that season, then I probably would have gone more often.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here