Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Falmer pay on gate?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
No different to Withdean.

What's your arguement?

It's not going to be at the ground, where do you suggest?

Dont take me too seriously, I'm a bit bored but I'm going to the pub now.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Yes. But the ticket office won't be at the ground.

So will you, or won't you be able to:

Drive to the Park and Ride,
Take the Park and Ride to the Ground
Go to a Ticket Office AT THE GROUND to buy a Ticket
Get in?

For those of us who don't live in Brighton going to a ticket office in the centre of town is not an option.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
According to Martin Perrry, you will be sent a bar code to your phone and some contraption will read your barcode to admit you to the ground.

Planning conditions do not allow cash ticket transactions within the stadium boundary.

This makes sense. So, in effect we have pay-on-the-day, but an 'e' version of it so the card and phone of the person who made the purchase are recorded.

When I go to the supermarket I turn up, park my car, choose what I want and pay cash.

When I go to the leisure centre, I turn up, park my car, pay cash, go swimming.

When I go shopping in my local town, I park my car, buy stuff, pay cash and then go home.
Have you tried shopping or swimming in Brighton city centre lately? You can park your car - but you pay through the nose to do so.

Why? Because too many cars were killing the city. And someone has done something about it.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls

Get in?

For those of us who don't live in Brighton going to a ticket office in the centre of town is not an option.

Not sure what the logistics will be, but I wonder if booths could be set up at Park & Ride sites?

Get in?

If you can buy your ticket at the park and ride site ... why would you want to buy your ticket at the ground?

Once we move into a permanent stadium, the technology will be upgraded to allow for this. Remember - at Withdean - apart from lighting (?) the turnstile booths don't even have electricity, let alone computer terminals.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
This makes sense. So, in effect we have pay-on-the-day, but an 'e' version of it so the card and phone of the person who made the purchase are recorded.

Yes . :)

Also he was touting a pay online version 'e' ticket and if you have a printer, you could print your own ticket complete with security barcode to scan at the 'gate'.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
If you can buy your ticket at the park and ride site ... why would you want to buy your ticket at the ground?

Once we move into a permanent stadium, the technology will be upgraded to allow for this. Remember - at Withdean - apart from lighting (?) the turnstile booths don't even have electricity, let alone computer terminals.

Thank you.

All I want is for fans throughout Sussex to be able to decide on a Saturday Lunchtime (perhaps when their own parks football is called off)to jump in the car and drive to somewhere close to the Ground (ie Park and Ride) and buy a ticket for the game without having to:

Go online (cannot currently buy concessions or family stand on line)
or, Make a phone call (which presently is a fiasco)

I don't care whether it's a ticket booth at the Park and Ride, perhaps at Railway stations or at the Stadium, it has to be as easy as possible.

We have lost a generation of fans and the club has to do EVERYTHING Possible to get them back - and start by making it is aasy as possible to actually get in.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Living in the States I’ve got used to having to buy a ticket in advance for virtually any sporting or entertainment event. What I have never got used to is all the hidden charges - processing, handling, convenience (that’s a joke!) etc - which get lumped on and can amount to a further 10-20%. Admittedly this is because Ticketmaster have managed to get a virtual monopoly and are a complete rip off.

If Brighton are not allowed to sell tickets for cash at the ground and this is part of the planning conditions then fair enough. What is not clear at this stage is how these advance electronic tickets will be sold - will it be done by the club or will it be subbed out to a concessionaire. I just hope that this situation will not be used by the club as another opportunity to fleece the fans for extra charges - they already get another £2.00 for telephone / internet sales which they would not get if tickets were bought at the gate like any other club. No doubt any online ‘e’ ticket will have a charge of at least £2.00.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
e-pay on the day will be adopted by the club. Booking by phone allows the options of speaking to a person or DIY (AVR technology or keying in your account number) allowing an "oyster card" being credited or picking up a barcode ticket from a booth at the stadium. Similarly booking online will credit an "oyster card" , allow you to print off a barcode on your printer or send a barcode to your mobile. Simples.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Will they put a ticket machine in The Swan?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
When I go to the supermarket I turn up, park my car, choose what I want and pay cash.

When I go shopping in my local town, I park my car, buy stuff, pay cash and then go home.

BUT, if I want to go and watch Brighton play at Falmer I have to buy tickets on a swipe card I don't want, or do it on my phone (which I don't want to do either), or go to some mystery phone booth at some mystery location, and then get on some godforsaken train or bus, which will presumably take me into Brighton after the game, even though I want to get home to Cambridge.

Chances of me going to watch Brighton at Falmer? 0/10

So, tell me. When you go to Sainsburys, do you run the risk of being set upon by the Tesco Crew. Or maybe at the leisure centre, the Squash Crew take on the swimmers.

Say for example we are successful. Are you going to drive all the way down from Cambridge without knowing whether you will get in or not? Jesus, what is it with some people. They seem to think we are the only club in the country that have ticketing arrangements.

What if it was pay on the day and low and behold, out of the blue we get a capacity crowd but only have stewards for half that. Can they proceed with the match on safety grounds? What if we have stewards at every match in case of a capacity crowd and we only get 10,000. Would you be one of the first to moan about wasting money.

It is hardly a massive inconvenience to go online and buy your ticket or even ring the club especially if you're arsed enough to drive all the way down from Cambridge!!!!!!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

BUT, if I want to go and watch Brighton play at Falmer I have to buy tickets on a swipe card I don't want, or do it on my phone (which I don't want to do either), or go to some mystery phone booth at some mystery location, and then get on some godforsaken train or bus, which will presumably take me into Brighton after the game, even though I want to get home to Cambridge.

Chances of me going to watch Brighton at Falmer? 0/10
Some of the people slagging off Jamie and the like would do well to remember that there are thousands like him, and like you Bry. I just don't see that what you're asking for is that unreasonable.

I'd have thought one reasonable solution would be to install matchday ticket dispensers at the major(ish) stations - Haywards Heath, Burgess Hill, Worthing, Lewes, Brighton main, Preston Park etc. These could allow credit card payment in exchange for a ticket printed right there on the platform.
But even then, another plastic card would still be required detailing who bought the tickets appararently. That just seems annoying.

Whitterz

Mmmmm? Marvellous
Aug 9, 2008
Eastbourne
The the origional question to the thread was can we "pay on the gate"

Thank you this has now been answered.

Realistically I cant see it making a huge difference, SO LONG as tickets will be available 1 hour prior to kick off at Falmer. The cost effective approach is this pay over telephone, texting service/ oyster card.

Im very much on for the oyster card service. You top it up when you want, and use it to get in the gates at Falmer. What cold be more simpler than that?
As easy as toping up your mobile telephone.:thumbsup:

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Some of the people slagging off Jamie and the like would do well to remember that there are thousands like him, and like you Bry. I just don't see that what you're asking for is that unreasonable.

I'd have thought one reasonable solution would be to install matchday ticket dispensers at the major(ish) stations - Haywards Heath, Burgess Hill, Worthing, Lewes, Brighton main, Preston Park etc. These could allow credit card payment in exchange for a ticket printed right there on the platform.
But even then, another plastic card would still be required detailing who bought the tickets appararently. That just seems annoying.

...and a machine at Falmer! I agree like the train tickets machines you should be able to pay cash as well.

I reckon that most people who want to go on a "whim" one day will either catch the bus or get the train. I think they will realise driving isnt really an option. Or they will drive to the outskirts, park and get the bus/train.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003

Good suggestion. But the club would need some way of identifying home supporters to enable correct segregation from the more unsavoury elements out there, so I think a swipe card registered to an address would be the only way around this.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
The the origional question to the thread was can we "pay on the gate"

Thank you this has now been answered.

Realistically I cant see it making a huge difference, SO LONG as tickets will be available 1 hour prior to kick off at Falmer. The cost effective approach is this pay over telephone, texting service/ oyster card.

Im very much on for the oyster card service. You top it up when you want, and use it to get in the gates at Falmer. What cold be more simpler than that?
As easy as toping up your mobile telephone.:thumbsup:
Yes, it's very straight forward indeed. It won't even bother the people who go 3 or 4 times a season and have a plastic card in their wallet. They'll just rock up to a pay kiosk (wherever they may be) and pay as required.

However, there will be times (say, Boxing Day) when families fancy a few hours at the football, but one of the 5 or 6 in the party haven't got a card and nobody is quite sure how to get that person into the ground. If those people are already wavering and then decide they can't be arsed to find out, then the club is waving goodbye to £200 or so.

I guess my position is that the club should do what they can to encourage payment away from the ground, but that some sort of identity charge card is simply a step too far.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick

Not necessarily, you may just need to enter your membership number and password, which you can obtain quite simply in 2 minutes.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
A question for Lord Bracknell, if a little off topic:

'green' transport policies are all well and good, but how are you supposed to get to the ground on Boxing Day from west of Worthing when there's no trains running? The only way is by car, unless we're going to make sure that we never get home matches on Boxing Day.

Also what about the 2 or 3 home games a season that Network Rail decide to dig up some part of the track?

While it's nice in theory to set out all of these policies that force punters to use public transport it would help to make sure that the public transport network is actually there, which for several games per season, every season, it isn't.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here