Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Falling out of love...

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
VAR is completely killing football as a live experience. I loathe it.

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
Totally agree, last season VAR started killing it, but this year it's gone into overdrive.

Becoming numbed to it by not being there and the rarity of our wins.

As others have said hope the mojo will be back when we get back to games en masse.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Please do excuse the slightly self indulgent thread.

Firstly I understand that once we all get back in the ground it may all change, but this morning I have felt something new... I feel I may be starting to fall out of love with football a bit.

I've been at it now for 35 years but VAR, and the months long wait to win games, is killing it for me. I got to the end of the match last night and barely registered any irritation at all... this is very unusual! Just switched the tele over and watched something else.

I think the main reason is that we go to football (or watch it on TV for now) for that moment we score a goal. That impossible to describe ten second buzz you get that non football fans can't possibly understand. Well, thanks to VAR, that's gone now... and with it, a fair chunk of my enthusiasm.

I hope it returns.

God I sound like a miserable git!

Would be interested to know if I'm alone.

I am 100% with you on this. Great post that summarises my exact feelings right now. I don't watch any non Albion football as I can't be getting irritated by VAR again. It's a crock of the brown stuff and I just can't bear to see it ruining something that I previously loved to bits.

Last night was just all so rubbish. Being at the game felt like a rip off. Paying £60+ (1901) to view less of what was going on than those at home, and not even have a ref bothered enough to take a look himself is taking the urine.

Falmer Wizard

Jun 23, 2020
I tell you something- we'd all be a lot more positive if we were in the Championship. Gotta be the best league in the world. Hate the Prem. Even if we won it i'd hate it.
:down:
I go along with that not being one of the elite teams in the Premiership we have to watch very defensive displays from us and possession is often limited to our own half which results in lack of entertainment, which we had in the Championship

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
When the whole enjoyment of a game is ripped away by some pri*k in Stockley Park, I begin
to wonder whether there's any point in reviewing my season ticket. Seriously.

You can't celebrate a goal properly and the whole VAR system is a lottery.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
I am the same so is Mrs Blue3 and others I know feel the same its not just VAR it's also the referees they are becoming a side show even appearing as pundits on TV gone are the days they did there job and just went home also the Superleage idea that just won't go away, then there's the uncertainty over crowds and Covid especially through winter the effects of knowing there is a vaccine, gathering over Christmas and New Year all this says people are letting their guards down finally this season just feels well almost a war time season and not one that will count in years to come

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
What also annoys me is that the authorities can't just admit they have made a mistake either with the implementaion of VAR or by the manner in which it is used.

Why can't they just remove it and go back to the refs making the decisions and us having a moan in the pub after the game over the main talking points of the match?

It's almost as if the authorities are worried about losing face so they are going to persist with VAR regardless, but to me it just seems like they are flogging a dead horse.

There is NO shame in trying something new, and if it doesn't largely improve the game, then revert back to the old system. We all make mistakes. It's about time the football authorities realise this and remove VAR. But sadly I suspect this won't happen and we'll be discussing VAR issues before the actual football for years to come. Maybe 'MOTD' should be renamed 'VAR of the Day'.

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
I have zero interest at the moment, watched Corrie last night rather than the match before I had to leave for work, when I got there it took me over an hour before I checked my phone to see the final score.

I'm glad we've got the priority windows at the moment because it saves me the hassle of opting out or putting my ticket on the exchange, I doubt I'll go before we're allowed full crowds back as it just will not be the same for me, either that or I might give it a swerve until VAR is binned off or we're back in the Championship.

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
What also annoys me is that the authorities can't just admit they have made a mistake either with the implementaion of VAR or by the manner in which it is used.

Why can't they just remove it and go back to the refs making the decisions and us having a moan in the pub after the game over the main talking points of the match?

It's almost as if the authorities are worried about losing face so they are going to persist with VAR regardless, but to me it just seems like they are flogging a dead horse.

There is NO shame in trying something new, and if it doesn't largely improve the game, then revert back to the old system. We all make mistakes. It's about time the football authorities realise this and remove VAR. But sadly I suspect this won't happen and we'll be discussing VAR issues before the actual football for years to come. Maybe 'MOTD' should be renamed 'VAR of the Day'.

VAR is imposed by FIFA, it’s mandatory for national top divisions.

I want it gone, but we’re now stuck with it for good.

W3 BHA

Nov 16, 2009
Please do excuse the slightly self indulgent thread.

Firstly I understand that once we all get back in the ground it may all change, but this morning I have felt something new... I feel I may be starting to fall out of love with football a bit.

I've been at it now for 35 years but VAR, and the months long wait to win games, is killing it for me. I got to the end of the match last night and barely registered any irritation at all... this is very unusual! Just switched the tele over and watched something else.

I think the main reason is that we go to football (or watch it on TV for now) for that moment we score a goal. That impossible to describe ten second buzz you get that non football fans can't possibly understand. Well, thanks to VAR, that's gone now... and with it, a fair chunk of my enthusiasm.

I hope it returns.

God I sound like a miserable git!

Would be interested to know if I'm alone.

I feel exactly the same way. I was really hacked off with all the professional cheating that has come into the game over the last few years and had high hopes that VAR would sort it out. All it's done is create more controversy, kill the moments of excitement and completely fail to deal with cheating - in fact it seems to be encouraging it judging by some of the bizarre decisions it comes up with. Will always love the Albion but football in general can do one!

BluesRockDJ

Jan 24, 2020

I agree entirely re scrapping VAR, but can you imagine the outcry if it were to be scrapped during the season, so many clubs would whinge about points lost through it ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here