Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Falling out of love...

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
The Premier League or the FA has to realise that VAR is killing the game and in turn, will kill their profits, as people will just switch off or not bother. I have faith it will be eliminated at some point.

Thing is it’s not really VAR, it’s the rules and the way they’re implemented.

VAR is doing what it’s told to do.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Please do excuse the slightly self indulgent thread.

Firstly I understand that once we all get back in the ground it may all change, but this morning I have felt something new... I feel I may be starting to fall out of love with football a bit.

I've been at it now for 35 years but VAR, and the months long wait to win games, is killing it for me. I got to the end of the match last night and barely registered any irritation at all... this is very unusual! Just switched the tele over and watched something else.

I think the main reason is that we go to football (or watch it on TV for now) for that moment we score a goal. That impossible to describe ten second buzz you get that non football fans can't possibly understand. Well, thanks to VAR, that's gone now... and with it, a fair chunk of my enthusiasm.

I hope it returns.

God I sound like a miserable git!

Would be interested to know if I'm alone.
Some of the shit we have witnessed over the last 35 years and it’s now you moan ??? :lolol:

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
Really good thread

When we conceded ‘that’ penalty last night I wasn’t shocked, angry or frustrated. I would have been livid last season. It’s just last night I was always expecting it. Every game we have is over shadowed by controversy. It’s like a pantomime I don’t want to watch. I grew out of watching American wrestling but now each match feels like it has an outside influence that can ruin the natural flow of the game.

The biggest concern for me is that I really don’t see my view changing. So it’s all very sad.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
can fall out of love with the game but would never fall out of love with the " day " ,

mates and social - that's what football is about really. What's on the pitch is often quite irrelevant

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
VAR, dramatics from cheating divers, referees being overridden by some unknown bloke in an office miles away, not being able to celebrate a goal because somebody's fingernail was offside, and general Covid situation makes me want to give it all up. Last season it was only meeting mates at the game which kept me going and I can't even do that at the moment.
It is stale, it is boring and there is no enjoyment.

Feel exactly the same this morning.
If you had have told me 15 years ago where we would be today and showed me a picture of the stadium we would be playing in I would have died of excitement but here I am totally deflated with it.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
When the penalty was given I really did think "that's me done with the Premier League, Lewes or Worthing next season".

I was probably sulking at the decision but I don't know for sure. The old me would never have thought that.

Lockdown as well as VAR is killing many people's love for the game IMO. My own son is still very into it but my mate's son who comes and sits with me and my mate hasn't watched a game, us or anyone else, for a couple of months and is openly talking about not going back to the Amex. Between Covid and VAR we may be undoing all the good work to get a new generation of fans through the turnstiles.

The-Libertine

May 2, 2006
The thing that annoys me is that VAR seems to have encouraged people to dive and cheat. I hoped it would be the other way round. A tap on the leg in the box, go down and it’s a penalty. A much easier way to score than putting the ball in the net legitimately.

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
I agree VAR is destroying the game - last night I’m. It sure either penalty should have been given, yes Ward-Prowse hand was up in the air but he had no idea where the ball was so it wasn’t deliberate, and as for March one, no Southampton player thought it was a penalty. Last week VAR was our friend as we got two decisions that shouldn’t have been - Salah goal offside by millimetres - how you could tell the difference between White / Salah boot I don’t know and I I don’t think the 2nd penalty was a penalty. Worst example was last month when Scotland beat Serbia on penalties and referee told David Marshall not to celebrate the wing save until VAR had checked he hadn’t moved too early - I mean what else does the ref and linesman have to watch in a penalty shoot out

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The thing that annoys me is that VAR seems to have encouraged people to dive and cheat. I hoped it would be the other way round. A tap on the leg in the box, go down and it’s a penalty. A much easier way to score than putting the ball in the net legitimately.

And scream.

What was evident last night in a near-empty stadium, is how much some players scream when they go down. Che Adams was the chief culprit last night.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I was absolutely steaming after the final whistle blew last night and am still pissed off now.

It's business as normal.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I always fall out of love with football when we lose. If I had a penny for every time I’ve walked out of the ground (switched the TV off for 9 months) swearing that I wasn’t going (watching) again, I’d have quite a few pennies.

At least we play quite well, most of the time, which makes it a little bit easier to take than the many days we stank the stadium out in losing.

I am bored with people blaming the ref and VAR. Most games we lose we lose because we are absolute shite in front of goal and the opposition aren’t.

As for our lauded Centre Backs, has one of them had a MOTM performance recently? They used to have loads of them. Well hit shots on target over the last year tend to end up in back of the net, whilst we persevere with trying to walk the ball into the net.

Last edited:

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
No your not, I am getting less and less enthusiastic about our games, I barely watch football in the Premier League anymore, forget match of the day, once upon a time I lapped it all up, now it i'm just meh.... VAR, diving, stupid kick off times, no standing, covid and this horrible year are possibly just dampening my enthusiasm for everything to be honest.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I wasn’t moaning about VAR when the decisions went for us against Villa and Liverpool.

I was moaning about it last night.

That’s football, it’s similar in relation to diving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020
Please do excuse the slightly self indulgent thread.

Firstly I understand that once we all get back in the ground it may all change, but this morning I have felt something new... I feel I may be starting to fall out of love with football a bit.

I've been at it now for 35 years but VAR, and the months long wait to win games, is killing it for me. I got to the end of the match last night and barely registered any irritation at all... this is very unusual! Just switched the tele over and watched something else.

I think the main reason is that we go to football (or watch it on TV for now) for that moment we score a goal. That impossible to describe ten second buzz you get that non football fans can't possibly understand. Well, thanks to VAR, that's gone now... and with it, a fair chunk of my enthusiasm.

I hope it returns.

God I sound like a miserable git!

Would be interested to know if I'm alone.

The nail on the head is you can't celebrate a goal now with unadulterated joy. Celebrations have to be muted until VAR is checked.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I'm feeling a little bit the same as the OP, but I put it down mainly to COVID. Watching at home does not have the same intensity as being at the game. Much easier to switch off the telly and move on. If I'd been there, I'd have been steaming all the way home and awake half the night running through the match.

I think it's true though that VAR, diving (cheating) and the ongoing reduction in tackling are serious threats to the long-term attraction of the sport.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
My season ticket currently costs £770 in the East Upper. (£40.52 per game)
Next season when we likely get back to allowing 31K into the stadium I think there will be plenty available on the exchange and for the less attractive fixtures many going unsold or even the exchange not being opened.

This makes me wonder that if the club or Premier League persevere with a requirement for ID then you won't even be able to 'off load' your ticket to a mate. This would be quite a financial hit if you might not be able to get to several games.

So if ID does continue into the 21/22 season I can imagine there could be quite a few non-renewals. I certainly think I'll have to consider it if my ticket goes unused for 6 or 7 games when I'm unable to attend.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I really find it difficult to believe there won’t be a serious overhaul of VAR for next season. It cant be allowed to be so intrusive that it pretty much dominates most games now.

It's a crazy idea but perhaps they could use it far more sparingly, just for.....clear....and maybe....obvious errors?

I know, I know, crazy talk.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here