Falkland Islands lie in Argentinian waters, UN commission rules

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
There are 15,000 steelworkers in this country whose lives are about to be destroyed. If you love this country so much, tell me what you think should be done to save the livelihoods of these hard-working British people now under threat.

Does your pride in your country extend to them?

Or is it all just a load of bullshite to cover up your eternal suck-up to the rich and powerful?

I will post any opinion I have on that topic on the thread discussing it. Of course your solution is State/government intervention/aid. A path that is somewhat restricted by our EU membership ... which you are of course in favour of continuing, rather ironic.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Are you at all aware we were in advanced negotiations with Argentina to either share or hand back sovereignty because the British governments of the time recognised the weakness of their case? Weakness that has now been confirmed by the UN? None of that is relevant?

most relevant question is, was General Galteri aware? anything else is pretty irrelevant, history has happened and we are where we are, and no one is now going to roll over and pass sovereignty to Argentina against the wishes of the Falkland people. which is against other UN rules, so they have some internal matters to resolve.

I will post any opinion I have on that topic on the thread discussing it. Of course your solution is State/government intervention/aid. A path that is somewhat restricted by our EU membership ... which you are of course in favour of continuing, rather ironic.

And what is your solution oh great British patriot? Let me guess, like all right-wingers, you think the steelworkers can go rot. That's your patriotism, that's your love of the British people. You're a massive fake and you've been rumbled

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
And what is your solution oh great British patriot? Let me guess, like all right-wingers, you think the steelworkers can go rot. That's your patriotism, that's your love of the British people. You're a massive fake and you've been rumbled

You conflate two issues, ask an irrelevant and totally loaded question, you answer the ruddy question yourself and then you attack the bloke based on your answer. Well played!

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch

well,you wouldn't get anymore right wing than Galtieri himself

how many left wing subversives went missing in the so called Dirty War,literally thousands

Argentina was flexing it's muscles with Chile over Tierra del Fuego in the late 70's,threatening invasion

they were' looking for a fight,but picked the wrong one

ironically losing the Falklands War was the best thing that happened for Argentina

ridding itself of the military junta

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
So handing a British colony over to a Spanish Colony makes perfect sense? I thought self determination meant choosing for yourselves.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
So handing a British colony over to a Spanish Colony makes perfect sense? I thought self determination meant choosing for yourselves.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm.

indeed

what with Argentina being the largest Spanish speaking country in the world

some 5 times larger than France

does beg the question why they'ed be so interested in the Falklands in the first place

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
You are proud that 1,000 people were slaughtered so that 1,800 sheepfarmers can work away under one red and blue flag rather than a blue and while flag? That scale of blood sacrifice and family tragedy and ruin you think proportionate and just?

Are you at all aware we were in advanced negotiations with Argentina to either share or hand back sovereignty because the British governments of the time recognised the weakness of their case? Weakness that has now been confirmed by the UN? None of that is relevant?

It wasn't so much the weakness of case as post colonial shedding. It was an expensive business holding these outposts.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Interesting survey of Islanders has suggested that less than a third regard themselves as British. Over half regard themselves as 'Falkland Islanders'.

They all want to remain a United Kingdom dependant though (99.8%).

I think this is less to do with cultural identity and perhaps more to do with the Islands politics, economics and, most importantly, defences.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
There are 15,000 steelworkers in this country whose lives are about to be destroyed. If you love this country so much, tell me what you think should be done to save the livelihoods of these hard-working British people now under threat.

Does your pride in your country extend to them?

Or is it all just a load of bullshite to cover up your eternal suck-up to the rich and powerful?

Well the latest steel in doubt is in Port Talbot. The company that owns it come from/based in India. How about we stop giving aid to India and use it to stop the closure of these steelworks.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I think this is less to do with cultural identity and perhaps more to do with the Islands politics, economics and, most importantly, defences.

Twice now you've made this comment. I think you do the Islanders a disservice. Certainly all the interviews and articles from the Islanders that I have ever watched and read have made it clear that it is all about identity and history and absolutely nothing to do with economic expediency.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Interesting survey of Islanders has suggested that less than a third regard themselves as British. Over half regard themselves as 'Falkland Islanders'.

They all want to remain a United Kingdom dependant though (99.8%).

Same survey states that the public sector is by far the biggest employer on the island. How come they're isn't a queue of Tory goons shouting for the bloated state to be shrunk in The Falklands then?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Your self-imposed posting rule doesn't stop you spouting EU nonsense on multiple threads though does it?

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Same survey states that the public sector is by far the biggest employer on the island. How come they're isn't a queue of Tory goons shouting for the bloated state to be shrunk in The Falklands then?

I'm guessing they'll be re-training them in the oil industry...

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Twice now you've made this comment. I think you do the Islanders a disservice. Certainly all the interviews and articles from the Islanders that I have ever watched and read have made it clear that it is all about identity and history and absolutely nothing to do with economic expediency.

Apologies if I've posted this before. I have too much time on my hands these days.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006

It might be because unlike in the UK, the public sector costs are small enough for the rest of the Falklands economy to pay for it. Excluding costs of defending the Falklands, it's long been self-sufficient, they have much lower average wages, they have an extremely different economy mix.

And it's just plain stupid to try to compare the public sectors of a country of 65 million people compared with an island population of just under 3000 people. But you knew that already.

It might be because unlike in the UK, the public sector costs are small enough for the rest of the Falklands economy to pay for it. Excluding costs of defending the Falklands, it's long been self-sufficient, they have much lower average wages, they have an extremely different economy mix.

And it's just plain stupid to try to compare the public sectors of a country of 65 million people compared with an island population of just under 3000 people. But you knew that already.

Why are your excluding military costs? - there is one soldier down there for every two islanders. That's not paid for by the private sector but by the British taxpayer. The Falklands is clearly not self-sufficient. We can't even find out the exact costs because they are hidden under so many different budget heads, they own up to 70 million a year but it's likely to be way more than that. That's on top of the TWO BILLION QUID-PLUS the state originally piled in for the 1,800 sheep farmers.

Still, let's see how much now the Tories are now willing to spend to save the jobs of 40,000 steelworkers/associated steel trade workers.

We will see over the next few days who are the real patriotic politicians of this country.

well,you wouldn't get anymore right wing than Galtieri himself

how many left wing subversives went missing in the so called Dirty War,literally thousands

Argentina was flexing it's muscles with Chile over Tierra del Fuego in the late 70's,threatening invasion

they were' looking for a fight,but picked the wrong one

ironically losing the Falklands War was the best thing that happened for Argentina

ridding itself of the military junta

All good points - the Argentine people did a brave and courageous thing in getting rid of their dictator and restoring democracy. By any test now, the roots of Argentine democracy are strong. That's why their legitimate territorial claims can no longer be dismissed in a high-handed fashion by us by pointing to some Charlie Chaplin dictator goon.

We should respect Argentine democracy and also respect the findings of the UN and return to the negotiating table where we were rightly before Galtieri. A long period of joint sovereignty would satisfy all sides, get rid of the ridiculous and wasteful military spending and would allow some proper economic development. The Falklanders themselves need it, half of them earn pitiful wages of less than 15k a year. Yes they would moan like all NIMBYs fearing a planning application but less than 3,000 people can't decide the fate of two great nations, that's farcical Ealing Comedy Passport to Pimlico stuff.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports