Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Falkland Islands lie in Argentinian waters, UN commission rules

Not going to happen pal, and what gives YOU the right to determine what happens to the inhabitants? joker.

Lots of things but mainly it's my government involved in this antiquated bit of land robbery so I have a right to say balls to it.

Self-determination means the right to be INDEPENDENT, not foist yourself on to a country the other side of the globe. If the islanders want to go their own way, good luck to them but not at our expense and making us look like a bunch of 19th century jokers to the rest of the civilised world

Empires are economical these days. Look at China's gradual colonisation of Africa. They just choose not to colour the map in a new shade of pink.

Sailing your gunboats around a place and sending trade delegations to sign development deals are completely different things. Yes, it would be nice if we were a bit more like the Chinese, investing in industries rather than bombing the **** out of places or threatening to do so

5mins-from-amex

Sep 1, 2011
coldean
Lots of things but mainly it's my government involved in this antiquated bit of land robbery so I have a right to say balls to it.

Self-determination means the right to be INDEPENDENT, not foist yourself on to a country the other side of the globe. If the islanders want to go their own way, good luck to them but not at our expense and making us look like a bunch of 19th century jokers to the rest of the civilised world

What a load of bollocks, as I thought you are a clown.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Self-determination means the right to be INDEPENDENT, not foist yourself on to a country the other side of the globe.

The international law principle of self determination is that inhabitants have the right to chose their sovereignty and international political status without interference.

It does not mean you have to be independent or self governing.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Ooh! What a vitriolic little post. Yes of course we need to hang on to our empire.

I wonder if the self loving left would do the same?

It's not about' hanging on to Empire' it's about self determination and what's in our national interest. The only people that seem to bang on about the long dead concept of Empire are the self loathing lefties and of course some hypocritical foreign governments who indulged in exactly the same practises whenever they held the whip hand.

Surprised to see you supporting someone who doesn't respect the right of self determination though.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
It is not anti Brit/UK to be anti imperialist. Our foreign territories are a reminder of an aggressive invasion of much of the world. We are what we are because of our dominance of the seas, our trading of the resources of other nations. That isn't anti British, that is the history of Britain, you can accept your own history without it being self loathing, the good and the bad.

However you are right, should the inhabitants of any of our 14 foreign territories wish independence, or sovereignty under someone else, we'd let them determine that democratically. We didn't spill blood to retain the territories, we spilt blood to protect the rights of the inhabitants. I think that is an important distinction.

It's anti Brit/UK to indulge in pointless historical relativism where we were always in the wrong, a common affliction of many on the far left.

Fair distinction. Saying that I would assume retaining/regaining territory by whatever means necessary whether inhabited or not should be the duty of any Government if invaded illegally by a foreign power.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

i'm wondering who exactly you think the land is being robbed from? the Falklanders are for all intents and purposes the indigenous people.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

You have to be trolling, as I cannot believe you are being so ignorant. Self determination means you can choose. It does not mean you have to be independent.
The British governments have had their faults over the centuries, but 53 countries are still happy to be associated with us. They've all had opportunities to ditch the motherland, but still choose to be part of our commonwealth. The world doesn't like it, because they are jealous.
Just last week, New Zealand voted to keep the union flag emblem on their flag, without a gun ship in sight.

Love live the Commonwealth.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
You have to be trolling, as I cannot believe you are being so ignorant. Self determination means you can choose. It does not mean you have to be independent.
The British governments have had their faults over the centuries, but 53 countries are still happy to be associated with us. They've all had opportunities to ditch the motherland, but still choose to be part of our commonwealth. The world doesn't like it, because they are jealous.
Just last week, New Zealand voted to keep the union flag emblem on their flag, without a gun ship in sight.

Love live the Commonwealth.

That's the spirit :thumbsup:

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
Glad to see the UN have got time to be looking into this rather than come up with any ideas about how to solve Syria, most of North Africa, Somalia etc. Honestly think it needs to be disbanded and we can all save (as nations) some money.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

:lol: :lol: In your own mind, you're still in your VI form common room on a sunny day aren't you? Holding the attention of all manner of speccy misfits who think you must know something more than they or you wouldn't talk with such opinionated authority. But all the while, you know that all the normal people (including the intelligent, learned ones) are outside enjoying the sunshine. "land robbery" indeed. Absolute quality. Well played. :clap2:

it was the British pal who had the balls to do it,not the Irish
It's OK, he's British - he's only "Irish" when it suits him.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
The population of the Falklands is about the same size of those attending Cardinal Newman school. It really is comical in this day and age we are attempting to hold on to places like that. The Empire is long gone lads, give it up

Tell you what, I've heard of this new fangled idea ..... it's called democracy. Let's ask the inhabitants who they wish to be governed by ..... oh :facepalm:

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Tell you what, I've heard of this new fangled idea ..... it's called democracy. Let's ask the inhabitants who they wish to be governed by ..... oh :facepalm:

Yep, what a fabulous and unique idea. While we are at it, shall we change history and pretend that Argentina was a country when the Falklands were British.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

I'm very pro-British when it comes to the Falklands, but I do think this argument is probably the weakest of all of them for staying as a British territory.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
It's not about' hanging on to Empire' it's about self determination and what's in our national interest. The only people that seem to bang on about the long dead concept of Empire are the self loathing lefties and of course some hypocritical foreign governments who indulged in exactly the same practises whenever they held the whip hand.

Surprised to see you supporting someone who doesn't respect the right of self determination though.

I wasn't providing any support, I was responding to the anger in your post, trying to provide some historic context/perspective and frankly bemused by your use of the phrase "self loathing lefties" and, for someone so seemingly articulate, your recourse to such naive black/white, us good/them bad football style perspectives when considering political matters.

You refer to self determination and what's in our national interest. It's interesting therefore that during the Falklands war any right to self determination was totally subsumed by national interest when the British subjects living on Diego Garcia were forcibly evicted from their island (when, to borrow your phrase, Britain did hold the whip hand). Their abysmal treatment during and after the removal reveals such woeful hypocrisy; stirring, flag-waving jingoism invoked for Falklands, truly shameful, completely under-the-radar abnegation of duty over Diego Garcia.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I'm very pro-British when it comes to the Falklands, but I do think this argument is probably the weakest of all of them for staying as a British territory.

Care to elaborate why ? Personally, if the inhabitants had decided to go with Argentina in the referendum I'd have been happy as they would have determined their own fate. The idea that they shouldn't have a say in their own future I find bizarre.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here