Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Falkland Islands liberated 30 years ago, today

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
30 years already?

it seems like yesterday i watched the tv coverage like many others.i wished so much whilst i sat in the classroom that i could join up and go and fight.

its only when you become much older that you realize you dont even ever come close to being as brave as these gentlemen were.......true heroes all.....fallen and alive.

RIP

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
there is allways one brain dead idiot who has to spoil other peoples tributes to fallen comrades

So you are quite happy for your "comrades" to lose their lives in some pointless conflict defending a few rocky islands inhabited a couple of thousand people 8000 miles away.

My point is that human life is worth more than that. Too many people in the world do not place sufficient value on that precious commodity called life.

Falkor

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
Rip and thank you, these guys gave there lives for this country and they don't choose where to go, so if you agree or disagree with the war, that's not the point these soldiers lost there lives for us and respecting them is the least they deserve.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
An old school friend of mine from Shoreham, lost his foot 'yomping' across a mine sadly, he had only been a Commando for 6 months..... but he has gone on to lead a full and productive life since.

Sep 7, 2011
shoreham
goldstone I am not lowering the tone of this thread by arguing with you, if wanna argue about the war dont do it here also as someone who was THERE every islander i spoke to dident want to be argentinian but i supose that dosent matter to you
Rip and thank you, these guys gave there lives for this country and they don't choose where to go, so if you agree or disagree with the war, that's not the point these soldiers lost there lives for us and respecting them is the least they deserve.

Last edited:

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
So you are quite happy for your "comrades" to lose their lives in some pointless conflict defending a few rocky islands inhabited a couple of thousand people 8000 miles away.

My point is that human life is worth more than that. Too many people in the world do not place sufficient value on that precious commodity called life.

Your point isn't valid, because you're stupid. Stop ruining a thread dedicated to the people who lost their lives, by trivialising it.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
goldstone I am not lowering the tone of this thread by arguing with you, if wanna argue about the war dont do it here also as someone who was THERE every islander i spoke to dident want to be argentinian but i supose that dosent matter to you

Most of the residents of Hong Kong didn't want to become part of China, but when it happened the world didn't end.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Your point isn't valid, because you're stupid. Stop ruining a thread dedicated to the people who lost their lives, by trivialising it.

Yet you keep replying to him and letting him ruin the thread.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003

Yes you are!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
If people don't like what goldstone says, they can always report his posts.

(Which is what I have done. He should be banned for crass insensitivity IMO)

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Most of the residents of Hong Kong didn't want to become part of China, but when it happened the world didn't end.

Give it a rest and start another thread if you want that discussion.

RIP all the brave men that went and fought and gave the ultimate sacrifice. Respect to all those that came back as well.

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
as other people have said, this isnt a thread to discuss the rights and wrongs of why we went there, its a thread to remember the people that lost their lives doing their job.
if you want to discuss that, then start another thread.

and your point about china and hong kong is irrelevent. china didnt invade hong kong and place the residents under martial law.
i'm proud of what i did down there, and remember with sadness the friends i left behind.

Hampden Park

Ex R.N.
Oct 7, 2003
wind your neck in Goldstone, i started this thread as i wanted to let everyone know that it was 30 years ago (yesterday) that the Falklands were liberated. i was there and at the time i felt it was necessary (IMHO). i cannot believe your drivel. RIP lads.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
R.I.P. x 255. Gone but not forgotten.

This may need verifying but I read a shocking statistic that more soldiers who served in the Falklands war have since committed suicide than were actually killed during the campaign itself. Makes you worry what the fallout will be from the last 15 years.

RIP to those who fell during and after.

Last edited:

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
This may need verifying but I read a shocking statistic that more soldiers who served in the Falklands war have since committed suicide than were actually killed during the campaign itself. Makes you worry what the fallout will be from the last 15 years.

RIP to all.. I read something similar about Iraq and Afghanistan.

Sep 7, 2011
shoreham
not quite accurate but not far off nibble in fact more of the returning solders have died either at their own hand or on the streets or from drink or drugs than died in the conflict its self, but that is due really to not understanding PTSD and how to treat it at the time. I hope things are better now

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here