Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Fair Point? 'Stop Litter Blame Game And Give Us More Bins'

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I'd stay in that lovely sunny island in the med that you call home. As a matter of interest do you have a litter problem there?

We do. But nothing like what's been shown from parks and beaches in the UK.

There are selfish idiots everywhere but perhaps not so concentrated as England these days.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Not true I'm afraid. Or at least not completely true. The two biggest public parks in Tokyo both have plenty of bins. Couldn't say off the top of my head about the other, smaller parks.

It is true that if there aren't any bins the Japanese will take their rubbish home with them. There is very little litter, even in a city the size and density of Tokyo.

Culture and discipline. :clap2:

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
We do. But nothing like what's been shown from parks and beaches in the UK.

There are selfish idiots everywhere but perhaps not so concentrated as England these days.

Sadly true, you must dread the summer months when we Anglo-Saxons descend on you in droves. Roll on winter huh? :eek:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Not true I'm afraid. Or at least not completely true. The two biggest public parks in Tokyo both have plenty of bins. Couldn't say off the top of my head about the other, smaller parks.

It is true that if there aren't any bins the Japanese will take their rubbish home with them. There is very little litter, even in a city the size and density of Tokyo.
Maybe I heard an Urban Myth then?

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Sadly true, you must dread the summer months when we Anglo-Saxons descend on you in droves. Roll on winter huh? :eek:

Not really. Most of the tourists are ok. Its the arrogant Maltese minority that are the problem. I have seen Maltese sweep the floor
before they set up their tables near the beach ( on concrete) others leave picnic or bbq rubbish acouple of metres away from a bin.

D

Deleted member 2719

Sorry not even going to read the link.

There is NO excuse for the litter dropping, I saw a man voluntary picking up litter for 4 hours the other day, along a country road, it had all been dumped from car windows.

Fine them make them spend 4 full days picking up litter.

They won't do it again.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
I don't think printing your credit card number on the packages would be acceptable (or safe!), but the car number idea is a good one.

PS What ID card?
Just the name from the credit card and ID cards I realised we haven't had ID cards since 1958 I realise it's a topic of personal freedom but being a member of society carries its own responsibilities

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Littering -

'Nobody EVER does it yet we're knee deep in litter'. :shrug:

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-56615989

Have to say it's a good point, well made IMHO. Excluding the ferals who will always just dump their trash wherever they choose, seems to me that most decent folk will try and dump their trash in the general vicinity of a rubbish bin. And if that rubbish bin happens to be massively over-subscribed, then it's a gentle nudge in the direction of the council to ensure bigger bins or more frequent emptying thereof. Take your rubbish home with you? Never gonna happen :shrug:

It might never happen because we’ve bred a selfish disposable generation of louts who don’t have enough brains, manners or both to take their litter away.

Instead of disposing of litter, why don’t we start disposing of the trash that drops it instead? I couldn’t have cared less if someone had opened up with Vickers on that crowd in Notts that left disgraceful amount of litter behind in a public place. I’m frankly sick of picking up mountains of rubbish in my neighbourhood left behind by selfish millennials, especially after large gatherings in parks and by the river. You never see young people helping out. It’s always elderly local volunteers who clear up the mess. These millennials are a ****ing disgrace to themselves and their country. They just don’t care so instead of providing more bins which they simply won’t use (I’ve seen dozens of occasions where standing next to a bin they STILL drop it on the floor a metre away) we need to tackle the root cause. Which is people. So tax the shit out of popular takeaway items including alcohol so it’s more expensive than pubs. Spend it on an army of police to enforce anti littering and let them shoot anyone who drops litter - using Rubber bullets because more environmentally friendly ;)

Ps I was out earlier and wife and I bought some lunch. 2 cardboard boxes and coffee cups left over. Every bin nearby was already overflowing, litter blowing out of the bins consequently. It amazes me people are so stupid they try to put their litter into an already full bin. Or dump next to. These retards need to be taught there is a solution like the one we used. Take it home with you and put in your own bin. ****ing morons, I’m sick of seeing our towns and countryside awash with litter. You buy it, you bin it. the packaging is your responsibility to dispose of legally. It’s really not that hard.

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
I often run around the Broadwater Forest and it’s roads just south of Tun Wells, nothing makes me angrier than the fly tipping and crap thrown from cars that blight this beautiful part of Sussex. It’s ironic really as running is meant to be relaxing, but I just have murder on my mind.

I don’t know what the solution is, maybe just too many of us are c*nts, simple as that. I guess it just takes those that care to actually get out there and pick it up, but if I ever catch anyone doing it, then.......

faoileán

Jan 29, 2021
I go jogging round Preston Park most mornings very earlydoors. Apart from minor feral trash dumping, the massive majority of rubbish is placed in as close proximity to the overflowing undersized bins as normal decent people could be expected to do. Even the overnight wildlife rarely scatter the rubbish placed by the bins more than a metre or two. The clear answer is bigger bins and / or smarter emptying and a realisation that only a tiny minority are ever going to be taking their rubbish home with them

I've just spent 30 mins litter picking on BHASVIC field on Old Shoreham Road and Dyke Road Park and the most obvious bins are filled to over-flowing with stuff left next to them for the foxes and seagulls to trash, but within 50-100 meters there are several more bins virtually empty. A lot of people don't want to be seen to leave litter but they can't be arsed if it requires more than a minimum effort. Kids parties in the park are the worst.

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
Apparently, in Japan there are no public bins in parks and gardens. The public are expected to take their litter home.... And they do!

This is correct in the main at least. No bins and no litter. So lack of bins doesn't appear to be the problem.

Last edited:

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Dog owners.
If the dog shit bin is full then please take your dogs poop home with you and put it in your own bin.
Don’t fvcking hang it on a tree or fence, hoping some else else will get rid of it for you.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
I am 100% #TeamJevs

There is no acceptable excuse for littering. People manage to carry everything to where they eat/drink/use whatever it is, so why the f**k can’t they also carry it home and bin/recycle it there? (Or if the nearest bin is full, carry it until you find one with space!)

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
It might never happen because we’ve bred a selfish disposable generation of louts who don’t have enough brains, manners or both to take their litter away.

Instead of disposing of litter, why don’t we start disposing of the trash that drops it instead? I couldn’t have cared less if someone had opened up with Vickers on that crowd in Notts that left disgraceful amount of litter behind in a public place. I’m frankly sick of picking up mountains of rubbish in my neighbourhood left behind by selfish millennials, especially after large gatherings in parks and by the river. You never see young people helping out. It’s always elderly local volunteers who clear up the mess. These millennials are a ****ing disgrace to themselves and their country. They just don’t care so instead of providing more bins which they simply won’t use (I’ve seen dozens of occasions where standing next to a bin they STILL drop it on the floor a metre away) we need to tackle the root cause. Which is people. So tax the shit out of popular takeaway items including alcohol so it’s more expensive than pubs. Spend it on an army of police to enforce anti littering and let them shoot anyone who drops litter - using Rubber bullets because more environmentally friendly ;)

Ps I was out earlier and wife and I bought some lunch. 2 cardboard boxes and coffee cups left over. Every bin nearby was already overflowing, litter blowing out of the bins consequently. It amazes me people are so stupid they try to put their litter into an already full bin. Or dump next to. These retards need to be taught there is a solution like the one we used. Take it home with you and put in your own bin. ****ing morons, I’m sick of seeing our towns and countryside awash with litter. You buy it, you bin it. the packaging is your responsibility to dispose of legally. It’s really not that hard.

Rather than just blame just the millennials, you might want to look at the generation that raised & educated the millennials.
The millennials themselves weren’t responsible for the culture that shaped their behaviour, so look at the generation before to see why they behave as they do.

Last edited:

maresfield seagull

May 23, 2006
Nothing is ever going to stop those that truly don't give a toss but bigger bins/more frequent bin emptying would work wonders. Lots of the litter in Brighton & Hove's parks and beaches is next to the bins as the bins are already full. It's not rocket science to work out places where lots of people like to go in nice weather will have more litter.

Also appreciate councils these days find it hard to fund such things given they have a bare minimum of money to work with.

Please read Jev s posts in the early pages of the thread :thumbsup:

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel

:lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here