Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Fair Point? 'Stop Litter Blame Game And Give Us More Bins'

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
But that's gone against everything you've said.

Nope. It's entirely consistent. Read it again. There's two types of folk out there: the folk who try to do the right thing ie try to find a bin. And when they can't find a bin they'll do the next best thing ie place their rubbish NEXT to the bin, to make it as easy as possible for the person they assume is at some point going to be tasked with clear-up. And then there's the ferals...

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I disagree based on what I saw on the news. The bins were overflowing for sure but hundreds if not thousands just move off and leave their rubbish for someone else to clear up. There is absolutely no justification for that.
In most cases it seems to be the same generation that join in protests about global warming.

What is so difficult about taking your rubbish home?

I'd stay in that lovely sunny island in the med that you call home. As a matter of interest do you have a litter problem there?

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
On my morning walk, there are a few bins, which should be removed. The council have been deploying larger bins, which are harder for the feral foxes and seagulls to get into. The smaller bins are still there and the feral humans, think they have done their job balancing their waste on the top.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Someone has dumped a caravan full of building shit and a mattress on Dawes road, a back road between Faversham and Canterbury. I mean, what the actual ****? It has a police note on is demanding it be immediately removed :laugh::facepalm:

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Nope. It's entirely consistent. Read it again. There's two types of folk out there: the folk who try to do the right thing ie try to find a bin. And when they can't find a bin they'll do the next best thing ie place their rubbish NEXT to the bin, to make it as easy as possible for the person they assume is at some point going to be tasked with clear-up. And then there's the ferals...

Blakers Park the same small bins, people then just dump the rubbish beside.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Apparently, in Japan there are no public bins in parks and gardens. The public are expected to take their litter home.... And they do!

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Well I did read it all, but (my bad) I did read it as you were just demolishing every sensible suggestion in turn after the first two words. And we ALL know a little about what we're saying on this particular subject. Basically all boils down to the decent people will try and find a bin for their rubbish. And if the bin is full they'll place their rubbish as close to the full bin as possible to send out a coded message to they did their best to act like responsible citizens up to a point, but they're not going to bust a gut over it

I really don’t think that kind of token effort is either decent or responsible

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Lancing beach last year beech green was a complete mess with litter after bank holidays and I protested asking for more bins but in hindsight I can see it's really just an occasional problem and not one that requires additional bins as the current ones are sufficient for rest of the year, therefore the answer is take your own litter home you purchased it its your responsibility those who don't need to be fined, somone I think on here suggested that drive through takeaways could easily put the car registration on all the items purchased same could be done at checkouts as its scanned your card that was presented before purchase would record the person responsible.

Plus give the police powers to tazzer anyone dropping litter or for not carrying their ID card

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I'd stay in that lovely sunny island in the med that you call home. As a matter of interest do you have a litter problem there?
They certainly do have a litter problem there. I had a holiday in Northern Malta 3 years back,plenty of litter alongside the roads where we walked. Even worse if you looked over any small walls alongside the roads, there was a belt of rubbish that extended about 10' out from the walls. Mostly empty water bottles, beer cans and bottles and empty fag packets.

Went in to one of the proper touristy towns for the day and there was a line of Palm trees planted in depressions in a wall dividing the carriageways in the centre of the road.... Every palm tree had a " Mulch " of beer cans and water bottles. Really sad to see as it's a beautiful island.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Lancing beach last year beech green was a complete mess with litter after bank holidays and I protested asking for more bins but in hindsight I can see it's really just an occasional problem and not one that requires additional bins as the current ones are sufficient for rest of the year, therefore the answer is take your own litter home you purchased it its your responsibility those who don't need to be fined, somone I think on here suggested that drive through takeaways could easily put the car registration on all the items purchased same could be done at checkouts as its scanned your card that was presented before purchase would record the person responsible.

Plus give the police powers to tazzer anyone dropping litter or for not carrying their ID card

I don't think printing your credit card number on the packages would be acceptable (or safe!), but the car number idea is a good one.

PS What ID card?

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
They certainly do have a litter problem there. I had a holiday in Northern Malta 3 years back,plenty of litter alongside the roads where we walked. Even worse if you looked over any small walls alongside the roads, there was a belt of rubbish that extended about 10' out from the walls. Mostly empty water bottles, beer cans and bottles and empty fag packets.

Went in to one of the proper touristy towns for the day and there was a line of Palm trees planted in depressions in a wall dividing the carriageways in the centre of the road.... Every palm tree had a " Mulch " of beer cans and water bottles. Really sad to see as it's a beautiful island.

they use this method in Bali and when it buckets down with rain well bugger me it all washes into the sea.....good eh....:thumbsup:

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
We live in a blame culture. Blame everyone else for the shit that gets thrown everywhere.....but we never blame the people who leave their shit, it's always the council's fault.
Totally ****s me off.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Nothing is ever going to stop those that truly don't give a toss but bigger bins/more frequent bin emptying would work wonders. Lots of the litter in Brighton & Hove's parks and beaches is next to the bins as the bins are already full. It's not rocket science to work out places where lots of people like to go in nice weather will have more litter.

Also appreciate councils these days find it hard to fund such things given they have a bare minimum of money to work with.

rudolf hucker

Jul 26, 2009
Hove
Quite simple. If you can be bothered to take stuff to eat and drink on your way to the park you can manage to take the empty (and lighter) tins and wrapping away with you. If not you are simply selfish and ignorant.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

That's the human race for you, we are given a paradise, yet we have an inbuilt desire to ruin it. So sad.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
Take it to the nearest bin. If the nearest bin is full, take it with you. Would more bins help? Probably a bit, sure. But if a bin is full, just take it with you. It's not even going to weigh much, given you've presumably eaten or drank most of the contents.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Apparently, in Japan there are no public bins in parks and gardens. The public are expected to take their litter home.... And they do!

Not true I'm afraid. Or at least not completely true. The two biggest public parks in Tokyo both have plenty of bins. Couldn't say off the top of my head about the other, smaller parks.

It is true that if there aren't any bins the Japanese will take their rubbish home with them. There is very little litter, even in a city the size and density of Tokyo.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Someone has dumped a caravan full of building shit and a mattress on Dawes road, a back road between Faversham and Canterbury. I mean, what the actual ****? It has a police note on is demanding it be immediately removed :laugh::facepalm:

This doesn’t surprise me.
Last year someone dumped a caravan in a car park next to Newhaven Cricket Club, last week I saw a really tatty old boat and trailer in the car park by Saltdean Lido. I’m sure it’s been dumped as the trailer looks like it should not be on any public road and I wouldn’t want to be in the sea on the boat.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here