Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fair play to the Palace faithful.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
If you regard better as 100 idiots dressed in black with a drum you are correct.

Clearly you haven't been there. They manage to generate quite a racket in their cowshed dump. The balaclava muppets are only a small part of it. I agree they sounded disproportionally loud on the TV last night because the commentary position is very near to that section. We are a very quiet ground in comparison.

Feb 14, 2010
Clearly you haven't been there. They manage to generate quite a racket in their cowshed dump. The balaclava muppets are only a small part of it. I agree they sounded disproportionally loud on the TV last night because the commentary position is very near to that section. We are a very quiet ground in comparison.

Yeah I'm sure their teenage drummer boy has a sore wrist regularly.. not quite the West Stand in full voice tho' and well hardly Brighton v York were their kiddies in the city..?

They didn't leave en masse during the St. Patricks day massacre. They staed longer than we did when we were getting hammered at Selhurst. Now, believe me...I loathe palace...but they have far better vocal support than Brighton.

They were prevented from leaving by the Police and stewards who made them comeback into the South stand- believe me I saw it and it still makes me chuckle.

What would you rather have 27k or about 10k less but with 100-200 tw@ts jumping up and down by the corner flag going "owowhoh". No brainer.:ffsparr:

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Yeah I'm sure their teenage drummer boy has a sore wrist regularly.. not quite the West Stand in full voice tho' and well hardly Brighton v York were their kiddies in the city..?

That was the Chelsea fans

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I think age has something to do with it. I'd love to know the average age of each club's supporters. I think ours would be higher than most. We lost a whole generation in the gap between Goldstone and Amex.

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
We'd be loud in the Premier too and not playing dire against Yeovil on open terraces in the pissing rain

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Comments from a Derby fan's blog after their visit to The Amex in January...

Brighton & Hove Albion 2-1 Derby County, AMEX Stadium 12.1.2013

Ground Atmosphere: ...the acoustics made them sound louder than they were [ed. I don't quite get this comment...! ]. It’s something that needs to be looked at Pride Park, hopefully the singing section behind the South Stand will help. When the home fans got behind them I could really hear it, the noise carried around the ground.

Stadium: It was a pain to get to, but it’s a decent new stadium. Padded seats is a first this season. It held the noise well,

How do you compare the ground to Pride Park? It’s a cracking ground to be honest, their main stand to the left of the away end is superb.

Where did most of the stadium’s atmosphere come from – home or away end? Definitely the home fans, for periods all 3 stands were singing and it was deafening.

Now to my mind that is fairly unequivocal. For an away fan to have described our support as "deafening" hopefully encourages Albion fans in all stands that your vocal efforts are worthwhile and you aren't imagining it when you think it sounds great.

:amex::albion2::amex::albion2::amex::albion2::amex:

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
Let's be honest, most of the time, it's the away support who generates the atmosphere and are more often than not the ones who are the loudest. I give credit to their coordination, I have found some of their displays a bit cringey, but there's no denying the level of dedication gone into them and they have been vocal on their live games although last night there was very little to sing about, Fulham bossed them about after Sidwell's goal.

This is the crux of it. If that sort of thing is your bag then you may well be impressed. If, like me, you find the whole Eurocopyist "Ultra" thing just not what English football should ever be about then you won't. Football support used to be relatively spontaneous, this choreography stuff just is not for me.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
They were prevented from leaving by the Police and stewards who made them comeback into the South stand- believe me I saw it and it still makes me chuckle.

.:ffsparr:

I was right next to them and, whilst there were a few heading up the steps at 3-0 the vast majority stayed put. When we were losing by that margin at shithurst it was like the biblical exodus.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
I was right next to them and, whilst there were a few heading up the steps at 3-0 the vast majority stayed put.
Do you think that might have been because the ones who did try and leave weren't allowed to...?

This whole thing about being a bad fan if you choose not to hang around and endure your opponents' celebrations is nonsense in any case. "Staying put" at the end of games you've been outplayed in is up there with "singing for 90 minutes" regardless of the scoreline...

Canonman

Apr 14, 2011
I think age has something to do with it. I'd love to know the average age of each club's supporters. I think ours would be higher than most. We lost a whole generation in the gap between Goldstone and Amex.

Saw this about the lost generation somewhere else but can't remember where, it's very important when you take things into account though it must make a big difference.

phazza

Aug 17, 2012
Phazza we must be near neighbours. Anyway, the NW bunch moved because the new seats presented an opportunity to move on mass and join with others from around the north who wanted to create an atmosphere. It was a one off opportunity and you can't ask existing people in the centre to move a side. The basic problem is you can't get say the 200 really noisy like minded fans in one place in the centre. Impossible. And also not everyone in the north wants to sing. Some are there because cheap seats. And plenty more because they like the idea of being in the noisy stand but don't actually contribute. Which means it's often quiet. Basically not enough vocal fans follow our club. But 'twas ever the case in every stadium we've called home. And that's because Sussex is a respectable country casuals sort of place to live and the passion in numbers just isn't there

fair enough. i remember the the atmosphere in games like the burnley game when we went down to 9. it was bloody brilliant. i just don't understand why so many fans wont replicate it. it really shouldn't be that hard to do

Yep, Fair play to the Palace Faithful, The Ultras, The HF, those self proclaimed "best fans in the world" they got rid of their manager.

We should all emulate them, make slit throat gestures at ours, abuse him and threaten his family.

Then, and only then, will we be proper fans.

Yep, Fair play to the Palace Faithful, The Ultras, The HF, those self proclaimed "best fans in the world" they got rid of their manager.

We should all emulate them, make slit throat gestures at ours, abuse him and threaten his family.

Then, and only then, will we be proper fans.

I wouldn't put that past some on here - the way they are gunning for Oscar already.

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade

Are you talking about the stand that from the North Stand are only audible 2/3 times a game? WHEN the West Stand does sing together it is impressive but so is every team when 12,000 people sing as one. I'm not a fan of the style of support Palace have but the way they have set up a proper singing section I am a fan of.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here