[Albion] Facundo Buonanotte - SIGNED for 1.8 billion pesos

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Can't see "it" (that)?
Amazing isn’t though how the dialogue about him is suddenly changing from ‘get rid’, ‘should be loaned out’, ‘not up to PL standard, ‘too young’, ‘out of his depth’ - practically blaming him for single handedly loosing us the match against to Newcastle etc ? but now …..

Some of us ‘saw it’ back in November before he even arrived, it’s taken others a bit longer 😉

But at the same time Facu would excel in a wide role where the full back massively overlaps, unfortunately our right side doesn't tend to do that.

Imagine how much worse Mitoma would look without Estupinan constantly overlapping.

If we had Lamptey playing then Facundo could fake the wide pass, cut inside and play killer balls far more often.
True - but even in the role today, he did overlap with Gross and Veltman at times, we saw a glimpse of what you are saying - he loves being everywhere and any manager worth his salt would see the value of such versatility which I’m sure is partly why RDZ wanted him as a starter in the squad back in January asap.

- interestingly he was faking a wide receiving position at times too, drawing their FBs wide but then cutting inside to pick up a vertical ball from Gross with impressive acceleration and smart feinting footwork when on the ball.

When he was in possession in a central position he was making some excellent (highly accurate) short (and long passes) and even took a pot on goal. When he plays wide (in a 7), I think he moves inside with the ball more effectively than March does because he’s a natural 10 - (although March is doing so much more than he used to under RDZs instruction) - Mitoma is the opposite and needs to cross earlier sometimes rather than taking it all the way in himself - he missed several goal scoring opportunities because of that (but in fairness did a fricking world class assist for Ferguson’s 2nd goal!)

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I think Pascal was mainly tired of Enciso not doing what he told him.
I'm no football guru, but if I could give any of our young players just one bit of advice it would be "do what Pascal says, run where he points you to, pass when he asks and you will look amazing"
There was certainly some of that too.

But out heroic German looked as embarrassed as I felt when Enciso was rolling, clutching and expiring from a minor tap to the shin.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton

But out heroic German looked as embarrassed as I felt when Enciso was rolling, clutching and expiring from a minor tap to the shin.
I'll take your word on that, as Julio's near death experience bought me the time to get a much needed pie I both missed the reaction and as a beneficiary am reluctant to criticise.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Exactly - love him and his enthusiasm, but he'll soon be a marked and hated man. I think even Pascal Groß was tiring of the histrionics today. You've got the foul, your opponent has been carded - there's no need to roll around as if you require a leg amputation NOW otherwise you're going to die.

The senior pros need to talk that out of his game.
He first demonstrated that behaviour playing for the U-21s in the opening match of the season at Palace back in August, so I wouldn't hold your breath...

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
He first demonstrated that behaviour playing for the U-21s in the opening match of the season at Palace back in August, so I wouldn't hold your breath...

What a plum!

I love Enciso's enthusiasm, but my word he overreacts to pretty much everything :lol:

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
He seems to be very left footed. That might me confirmation bias on my part but I'd like to see him develop confidence with his right.
Yep, very noticeable. Mind you, Solly was a few years back and it's not done him any harm.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
When playing on the right, Facundo needs to work out how to go on the outside. I've only seen him cut in. Needs some variety, because that keeps defenders guessing. Solly and Kaoru can go either way, and that in part explains their effectiveness. I'm sure this is something the coaching team will be working on with Facundo.
On a related note, with the addition of Pedro, we've now got great variety in the attacking four positions. The one position where there isn't the level of depth is wide right. For me, Solly is streets ahead of everyone else at playing in that position.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
He seems to be very left footed. That might me confirmation bias on my part but I'd like to see him develop confidence with his right.
Yes he does as I and a few others noted up thread when we looked at the original scouting videos but more habit than confidence I think tbh - and more importantly, it’s not effected his ability when playing wide to cut inside and shoot which is exactly what RDZ has been asking March to do more of. Despite the reliance of his left foot, he can play a 10, on the right or left or in his traditional CAM position so as @Greg Bobkin says, it’s not really an issue. That said, if you look at those same videos posted back in November, I think he has definitely developed a stronger right foot under RDZs coaching as would be expected.

I see a future superstar here
So did our scouts, his management at Rosario etc - That’s why we signed him and agreed an astonishing £10 mil + £20m sell on clause for a 17 year old from a club that was struggling in the Primera! - 😛🙂

The ‘future’ is closer than you think though imo, Caceido, arguably now easily our top player, waited 16 months for his PL debut after signing plus a loan spell in Belgium. Even Mackie wasn’t thrown into things by GP as much as Facu has been by RDZ and it wasn’t until Mackie was put in a CAM, he was able to show his real talent (which wasnt as a striker as we know!). A lot of NSCers have questioned the wisdom of giving Buonanotte starts within a few months of signing him (as they did with Ferguson initially despite Ferguson coming up through the Academy) ) but I think it is exactly what Buonanotte needs - a baptism of fire to focus his mind on playing in the EPL - he’s mature for his age both in experience and personality and I’ve seen nothing to suggest he will crack under the pressure. What I dont understand is why, Facundo has received more criticism on these threads than any other player in the squad recent weeks - it’s like lets pick on the ‘new kid on the block’ for the sake of it sometimes.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
I think Pascal was mainly tired of Enciso not doing what he told him.
I'm no football guru, but if I could give any of our young players just one bit of advice it would be "do what Pascal says, run where he points you to, pass when he asks and you will look amazing"
Pascal clearly had been given the job of talking the kids through the match yesterday - he was giving them instructions the whole time.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford

The guy behind me and I had this exchange yesterday (paraphrased):

"That's got to be a red. He's absolutely caned him"
"Nah, it's Enciso"
"Ah right... In that case, probably a soft yellow"

It's a shame because his raw talent is unreal, just needs to tone down the histrionics. On Buonanotte, he's such a talent, and although he's a little behind Enciso his temperament and attitude seems spot on. Give him a full pre-season under De Zerbi and we could have an absolute monster on our hands.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
A lot of NSCers have questioned the wisdom of giving Buonanotte starts within a few months of signing him (as they did with Ferguson initially despite Ferguson coming up through the Academy) ) but I think it is exactly what Buonanotte needs - a baptism of fire to focus his mind on playing in the EPL - he’s mature for his age both in experience and personality and I’ve seen nothing to suggest he will crack under the pressure. What I dont understand is why, Facundo has received more criticism on these threads than any other player in the squad recent weeks - it’s like lets pick on the ‘new kid on the block’ for the sake of it sometimes.
Could not agree more. Acclimatising to the Premier League is difficult for most players and you can really only get used to it on the pitch. Facu will benefit tremendously from these valuable minutes. We've seen the improvement in Enciso since his first tentative steps into the first team and I am looking froward to a similar improvement from Buonanotte next season.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Pascal clearly had been given the job of talking the kids through the match yesterday - he was giving them instructions the whole time.
Yes mate, I saw that. Pascal was talking Facu through the whole second half.

Aside from his other obvious abilities, Pascal is a huge part of our incredible on field leadership group

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Could not agree more. Acclimatising to the Premier League is difficult for most players and you can really only get used to it on the pitch. Facu will benefit tremendously from these valuable minutes. We've seen the improvement in Enciso since his first tentative steps into the first team and I am looking froward to a similar improvement from Buonanotte next season.
This is it. It doesn't matter if Facu, or Enciso or Ferguson really contributes anything. Every minute we are on the pitch we are investing in their future. We are shouting to every South American teenage prodigy, this is the place you get to come and play in an exciting team in the PL

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
I thought Buonanotte looked like things were starting to click for him yesterday. He was working really hard off the ball to find space and to get back quickly to help out defensively. He is also making some good late runs into the box often not picked up by the opposition. Would be nice to see things start to come together for him soon.

Stumpy Tim

I thought Buonanotte looked like things were starting to click for him yesterday. He was working really hard off the ball to find space and to get back quickly to help out defensively. He is also making some good late runs into the box often not picked up by the opposition. Would be nice to see things start to come together for him soon.
I said the same. It was his best game for us

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports