Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fabric to close due to drug issues

indy3050

Jun 22, 2011
I don't remember much of my night in fabric.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Same. I do remember however there were actual beds in the place and some dude had two of the fittest women ive ever seen pretty much having a threesome in full public view.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I stayed up late watching the tweets from mixmag and fell asleep with a little hope, woke up today and that hope was gone. What is also gone forever is one of the last big drum and bass clubs - we are also losing the Coronet towards the end of the year. Its saying a lot that DnB is having to go back to MOS and mainly as most of the other super clubs are gone. MOS will be next on the list, as far as I can remember the council were trying to close it so it could be turned in to flats.

was going say earlier, just the Ministry left. not sure of the threat there, they had feared a neighbouring development would lead to noise abatment problems, but i recall they cam to agreement with developers and with design and covenants to avoid noise complaints. they may also own the land they are on.

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
was going say earlier, just the Ministry left. not sure of the threat there, they had feared a neighbouring development would lead to noise abatment problems, but i recall they cam to agreement with developers and with design and covenants to avoid noise complaints. they may also own the land they are on.

If I recall correctly that is the saving grace - for now at least however its only a matter of time I feel as the last one of its size the met will be after that next

Swillis

Banned
Dec 10, 2015
Have fond memories of fabric, one of the last places I mc'ed at. Anywhere in London now is just seen in one way and that is development potential.

Swillis

Banned
Dec 10, 2015
What did you used to MC over, what was your name and which DJ did you work with most

Mostly drum and bass, sometimes garage. Not going to say my name as I am on a few videos on you tube/tape packs etc
Was never the greatest but we did it for fun mainly. But I was on kool FM quite a bit and also did a few one nations. I only started through messing about and realising I could rhyme fast to a beat, it also helped my friend was a very good DJ. I had the chance to go abroad a few times as well but I had a girlfriend and kid to support. So going to Germany and Ayia Napa was not the recipe for a good home life, also I was earning more through working.
A few of my friends and people I met still do it, some are very well known.

It all changed though. Instead of everyone being happy and getting along, there were gangs in the raves mugging people and some MCs smoking crack onstage. It attracted to many Friday night gangster's. :nono:

Part two of my life story next week :lol:

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
Mostly drum and bass, sometimes garage. Not going to say my name as I am on a few videos on you tube/tape packs etc
Was never the greatest but we did it for fun mainly. But I was on kool FM quite a bit and also did a few one nations. I only started through messing about and realising I could rhyme fast to a beat, it also helped my friend was a very good DJ. I had the chance to go abroad a few times as well but I had a girlfriend and kid to support. So going to Germany and Ayia Napa was not the recipe for a good home life, also I was earning more through working.
A few of my friends and people I met still do it, some are very well known.

It all changed though. Instead of everyone being happy and getting along, there were gangs in the raves mugging people and some MCs smoking crack onstage. It attracted to many Friday night gangster's. :nono:

Part two of my life story next week :lol:

Used to go to one nation at brixton over a decade ago I would guess and remember for sure when it started to get moody, some things I saw I would rather not say on here and crack entering the scene was a low point - this is where fabric set itself apart and makes a mockery of the decision as it was a million miles from those dark days at one

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
I have been to Fabric and the place was a joke. People openly selling drugs, people mashed off their face, people vomiting just on the dance floor, people shagging in the corners...

If you're going to throw up, do it in the corner where no one sees and if you're going to shag, do it subtly on the dance floor with a lovely blonde.....until the vinegar strokes. :)

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
This situation reminds me of Gatecrasher in Sheffield. Biggest night in the country at the time. They built flats next to the club and there were rumors about it being shut down because of the noise (club was there way before anyone lived nearby).

Then it mysteriously burned down.

HCxUK

Apr 18, 2014
This has been on the cards ever since the 2014 review, Fabric never really had a chance. Having been recently I can honestly say that the security search is the most thorough I have ever gone through, and as everyone has pointed out, if Fabric has to close then every other club should have to. The only reason it's closing is because the under funded Met Police and Islington council cannot afford to police it correctly.

If it was any other art form, cinema or literature for example, it would receive government grants and be allowed to flourish, but the establishment has an agenda against nightclubs so they stifle them.

Closing Fabric sets a dangerous precedent as more clubs will undoubtedly follow and the scene will be forced underground, where it'll inevitably become 10x more dangerous.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Same. I do remember however there were actual beds in the place and some dude had two of the fittest women ive ever seen pretty much having a threesome in full public view.

That was me.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
A good article.

Very depressing news. I've been to Fabric a number of times and always had an enjoyable time. I have also enjoyed listening to their CDs (I have over 60) and the new artists they broke and the boundaries they pushed. Terrible anti-cultural decision; some won't be happy until every high street is the same. London needs places like Fabric.

These are brilliant. No 19 (Freestylers) is one of my favourites of all time. It really makes you feel like your in the club in the moment when you listen to it. Seen them a few times in Brighton and I caught the end of their set at Fabric.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
A good article.

Very depressing news. I've been to Fabric a number of times and always had an enjoyable time. I have also enjoyed listening to their CDs (I have over 60) and the new artists they broke and the boundaries they pushed. Terrible anti-cultural decision; some won't be happy until every high street is the same. London needs places like Fabric.

For sure, Fabric is the tip of this particular iceburg. Good venues have been shutting down in London (for a variety of reasons) at a shocking rate recently.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
These are brilliant. No 19 (Freestylers) is one of my favourites of all time. It really makes you feel like your in the club in the moment when you listen to it. Seen them a few times in Brighton and I caught the end of their set at Fabric.

I've just looked up the Fabric and Fabric Live series. The line up, especially Fabric Live series at the bottom of the link, is astonishing. Take look everyone.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fabric_discography

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
I've been a few times over the years. Always offered drugs as soon as get anywhere close and repeatidly inside. People very ill and clearly off their face inside. Yes seen sex acts there too. No easy answer but maybe if any club around the whole world I've been to deserves to close it's for sure this one by a mile

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I've been a few times over the years. Always offered drugs as soon as get anywhere close and repeatidly inside. People very ill and clearly off their face inside. Yes seen sex acts there too. No easy answer but maybe if any club around the whole world I've been to deserves to close it's for sure this one by a mile

I have been a large number times and don't believe your claim. Especially if you are talking in the last 4-5 years.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I have been a large number times and don't believe your claim. Especially if you are talking in the last 4-5 years.

I can't say I have seen anyone having sex but does it really matter? Whilst I don't want anyone dying or being ill how much harm are these alleged drug takers and shaggers doing to other punters? How many fights have there been in Fabric? Etc

The clubs here have a very much more adult attitude to these things and are a welcome and valid part of the economy. Ditto Amsterdam and to a lesser degree Paris. Why is London so different?

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013

I've been a net of times myself. I agree there are people that appear to have been taking drugs, but nothing more than any other club I've been in. As has been mentioned in the thread the security is pretty tight in terms of how they search you. However I've only ever been offered drugs once in there on 5/6 visits. The problem with drugs is you can buy them anywhere. Not all these people you saw would have brought drugs inside the club, as was evident from one of the lads that died. Police can't control drugs on the street with the powers they have so there is little chance of a nightclub being able to stop 100% of drugs that came in to a club. Worryingly it's been said the club has stopped and passed police 70 people suspected of drug dealing and there has been 1 conviction. Is closing the venue going to stop any drugs issues? No. People will still take them and go to another club. People need to be educated about what they are doing and understand the risks and signs of themselves getting into differcult if they have taken them.
It's a shame but this is going to end up being another high rise block of apartments, sold to rich, foreign investors as another holiday home, pushing up prices of the local area meaning more hard working local people miss out. It's a shame London has come to this,

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here