Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fabric to close due to drug issues

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
I really do not think they did this for publicity - reading between the lines the searches they will undertake are going to have to be a joke to comply, going to be queuing for hours and more deaths caused by people taking their whole stash before entering - total madness.

which would be a sad sad irony if they had to actually close because of real drug issues :(

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
I don't get why they couldn't just rename themselves, re-brand the club and start "afresh". Surely there's a loophole that could have let them do as much. Venues elsewhere up and down the country do something similar if they're facing legal or financial trouble.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I don't get why they couldn't just rename themselves, re-brand the club and start "afresh". Surely there's a loophole that could have let them do as much. Venues elsewhere up and down the country do something similar if they're facing legal or financial trouble.

New club would need a license. Council/police would want to know about the owners, managers etc.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I suspect everyone's read the blog from a couple of days ago but if you haven't it's a very good read. There's a link to the document that went to the House of Lords in the last section which is also worth a look, it's good to see they haven't just walked away from that side of it. Hopefully at least some of their recommendations will happen.

https://www.fabriclondon.com/blog/view/saveourculture-transparency-statement-5

It is impossible to go through all of the manual and the conditions individually, but some of the main points are as follows:
• The DPS at the club is relieved of all responsibility save compliance. The commercial side of the business is to be separately managed.
• New posts of head of welfare, head of security and search captains are created.
• A new welfare team is created, which will work at the club nightly and conduct brief interventions where needed.
• A new post of CCTV controller has been created, to monitor the CCTV at the venue so as to ensure that all those working at the club are doing so effectively and to spot criminal or welfare matters. To have a person monitoring the system rather than merely using it as a recording facility is rare if not unique in pub and club environments in London.
• All 250 staff are to receive drug awareness training.
• ID scanners will be used at the club by opening and staffing further entrances to accommodate them.
• On the main club nights, those under 19 will not be admitted, in the light of the fact that the latest fatalities were of that age.
• New posts of internal and external auditor are created, to monitor compliance.

As far I can see it's all pretty standard stuff. New entrance so they can cope with the extra searching, although having had my balls cupped numerous times on the way in I'm not sure what else they can do! ID scanners have been in use at other clubs for ages, everyone got scanned going into Cable. Extra staff for a bit of box ticking. The age limit is interesting, I tend to think it's an older crowd on Saturdays anyway so I suspect that's aimed at the DnB on Fridays.

It's the same rules as ever, just be sensible and know your limits.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton

Because the brand is worth millions.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Has anyone been since it reopened?

I went the weekend before last and didn't notice much difference. It's the first time I've not had my balls felt during the search, like a dog a crufts, so if anything it was less invasive than usual!

The new sound system in room two is incredible, you can feel it before you hear it, there's nothing quite like the feeling of your internal organs vibrating to a bassline :thumbsup::rave:

OvingdeanSeagull

Jul 8, 2012
Ovingdean
Has anyone been since it reopened?

I went the weekend before last and didn't notice much difference. It's the first time I've not had my balls felt during the search, like a dog a crufts, so if anything it was less invasive than usual!

The new sound system in room two is incredible, you can feel it before you hear it, there's nothing quite like the feeling of your internal organs vibrating to a bassline :thumbsup::rave:

I went a couple weeks back. Can't comment on any difference as it was my first time. Loved it though, easily the best club I've ever been to. The security is rather OTT but no more than expected, although was a bit surprised to get searched on the way out!

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I went a couple weeks back. Can't comment on any difference as it was my first time. Loved it though, easily the best club I've ever been to. The security is rather OTT but no more than expected, although was a bit surprised to get searched on the way out!

Stops phone thieves.

I've not been since reopening but keen to.
Have heard the atmosphere is good as it always has been once inside..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here