Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] FA diversity code

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
what's disappointing is no one reflecting on how well things are going with the diversity drive. an arbitary target is missed by few % and it makes for a headline.
In related matters, my new HoD, who is gay, has decided it would be fun/interesting/instructive to have a session with our undergrads, many of whom are not white, male, heterosexual and neurotypical, with a few staff who are themselves not typical, to discuss challenges in our working lives and how we met/meet them. I have been invited as the weird wanker who certain types of gammon like to bully (aka the autistic one) along with a British Indian woman, and our delightful head.

I have had some interesting conversations with students recently, and 'non visible' traits (I won't call them disabilities because some, like mine, are in some respect a gift) is a particular issue that, thankfully, is receiving the beginnings of some attention.

It could be interesting. :thumbsup:

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
Talking of divisive, when was the last time the Daily Mail referred to disabled Muslim transgender people? I don't read the Daily Mail, but a lot of people do and the only tired trope is suggesting that's what is regularly in the Daily Mail
The only people I know who visit the Daily Mail website are people on the left hoping to be outraged. When they get abusive about it, I have to point out that it’s a Tory paper, animed at Tory sympathisers, and very likely to express Tory views. There are loads of left-leaning media outlets in the UK —Guardian, Daily Mirror, Independent, the i, old-established magazines like the New Statesman, as well as some very successful new media sources like the Canary and a ton of commentators on social media. Why don’t people just get their validation from sympathetic sources? I also know Tories who complain like hell about the 'leftie Guardian.' I have the same riposte to them — why read a left-leaning paper that will almost always adopt a left-leaning perspective on the news? It’s asking for trouble if you see the world in a different way.

I’ve no idea when I last read the Daily Mail — probably 20 years or more. But I’d be pretty surprised if, in this day and age, they use such cliched, caricatured terms as expressed above. They represent readers with a different world view, that’s all. People need to accept that not everyone thinks like them. That’s another form of diversity that so many people just can’t tolerate.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I’ve no idea when I last read the Daily Mail — probably 20 years or more. But I’d be pretty surprised if, in this day and age, they use such cliched, caricatured terms as expressed above. They represent readers with a different world view, that’s all. People need to accept that not everyone thinks like them. That’s another form of diversity that so many people just can’t tolerate.

I know what you mean. Some people do seem to enjoy getting outraged by alternative views. However, there's little doubt that The Mail is a pernicious force in the country.

You don't have to be an avid reader to get a bit wound up by the language they use and the seeds of division they sow. A quick glance at a few headlines or front pages will show you they're no stranger to cliché and caricature.

A range of viewpoints is welcome but demonising and scapegoating doesn't make for a pleasant society.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
The only people I know who visit the Daily Mail website are people on the left hoping to be outraged. When they get abusive about it, I have to point out that it’s a Tory paper, animed at Tory sympathisers, and very likely to express Tory views. There are loads of left-leaning media outlets in the UK —Guardian, Daily Mirror, Independent, the i, old-established magazines like the New Statesman, as well as some very successful new media sources like the Canary and a ton of commentators on social media. Why don’t people just get their validation from sympathetic sources? I also know Tories who complain like hell about the 'leftie Guardian.' I have the same riposte to them — why read a left-leaning paper that will almost always adopt a left-leaning perspective on the news? It’s asking for trouble if you see the world in a different way.

Well, firstly you've either not read, or not understood the word SUB in context.

Secondly, it's the sort of trope used regularly by Daily Mail hack Richard Littlejohn, a hero of the OP, just as he was when the OP went by the NSC names Beach Seagull and The Lego Stand and when he spent a bizarre few months pretending to be a traffic warden.

Thirdly DMG's revenue in 2022, though trending down, was still £974 million. That's an awful lot of enraged lefties, innit?

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
The way I view diversity hires is a long term plan for engagement from under-represented communities.

Using my field of knowledge, theatre, many shows are going out of their way to cast POC in roles that traditionally they’d never even be seen for at audition. Truthfully, they aren’t always the most appropriate or even talented choice. However, the general feeling behind the practice is to normalise colour-blind casting so that more younger POC seek theatre training, so that in the generations to come the pathway into the line of work is more accessible for people from all backgrounds.

In the short term, however, it does mean that very talented people are losing opportunities they are often more experienced/skilled in than other candidates.

I would imagine the discussion about BAME football managers is based on this concept; chances given to open more pathways and ambition from within BAME communities to pursue opportunities.

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
I know what you mean. Some people do seem to enjoy getting outraged by alternative views. However, there's little doubt that The Mail is a pernicious force in the country.

You don't have to be an avid reader to get a bit wound up by the language they use and the seeds of division they sow. A quick glance at a few headlines or front pages will show you they're no stranger to cliché and caricature.

A range of viewpoints is welcome but demonising and scapegoating doesn't make for a pleasant society.
I agree with some of that but I still think this is highly subjective. It’s the old argument about whether papers reflect public opinion or create it. I go more for the former. People who’ve read the Daily Mail for years, and voted Tory for years, I’m sure just regard the paper as representing their attitudes and y'know, 'standing up for common sense', and all that. They probably regard the Mirror and Guardian as subversive and pernicious too. The Daily Mail is apparently very successful so I presume they would say they must be doing something right. Remember that newspapers are bought by only a tiny number of people as a proportion of the electorate. The readership figures of online news sources are very hard to accurately gauge as there are so many different ways of counting clicks and page views and unique visits, not to mention all the thousands of bots and automated visits. The fact is, they are a declining force and have been for years. Most people seem to get their views from friends and family and social media these days, and will pick and choose the stuff they’re comfortable with.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Well, firstly you've either not read, or not understood the word SUB in context.

Secondly, it's the sort of trope used regularly by Daily Mail hack Richard Littlejohn, a hero of the OP, just as he was when the OP went by the NSC names Beach Seagull and The Lego Stand and when he spent a bizarre few months pretending to be a traffic warden.

Thirdly DMG's revenue in 2022, though trending down, was still £974 million. That's an awful lot of enraged lefties, innit?
worth noting mailonline is one of the most popular websites globally and something ridiculous like number 5 news website. a lot of USians go there, apparently for the celebrity wall of shame.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here