[Albion] FA Cup v Stoke early thoughts

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Another vote for playing a strong side with a few of the kids involved in the squad.

I am not sure there is that much of a downside in progressing deep into this competition really as we won't take it "Premier league/Europa league" seriously until the quarter finals if we get there. Until then, just use squad rotation to make sure we're competitive, but involve the younger ones too.

Exactly my thoughts too. I love the FA Cup and am buzzing to go up there on Saturday.

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
I’d like a strong side to start, with plenty of changes at half time if we’re 2 goals up. Too often this season we’ve put out a suboptimal team then had to bring on stronger replacements in the second half to chase the result. Would much prefer the other way round.

One exception — I think Pedro should have a rest. He’s played a lot of minutes this season.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
I'd like to see us go strong with just a few changes, Bart for Steele, Dunk for Webster, Baleba for Milner and Ferguson for Welbeck with the rested players on the bench.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Under no circumstances none whatsoever will defeat be acceptable. Dont care how but we MUST repeat MUST win this.
Or else?

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
I love the FA Cup it’s the best cup competition in the World where else can any team that’s a member of the Football Association apply to play in the FA Cup.
The competition is open to any club down to level 10, in 2002 Bath Universities team made it through to the first round proper before loosing to Mansfield, obviously the clubs in the EPL and the top three League divisions automatically get entered every year.
Brightons achievement in getting to and then topping the group of the Europa League is incredible and if we were to win it well That would be incredible.
But this silly Champions league drop outs who ge a second chance and the little mini leagues are just money making scam.
Whereas the FA Cup every game is a must win every team can win every game is a final

Krafty

Apr 19, 2023
The fixture congestion issue isn't a short term problem, it's accumulative.

If we make it through to the fourth round, then we will have: Mon 22nd Jan Wolves, Saturday 27th FA Cup, Tuesday 30th Luton.

If we make it through to the fifth round, then we will have: Sat 23th Feb Everton, Wed 28th FA cup, Saturday 2nd March Fulham

It's too much.

Essentially these extra fixtures we could really do without, even if they are a month or so before our Europa League games.
Considering we have a break after the match against Stoke, we could field a stronger team against them.

We'll probably play weaker sides (full of kids) in the next few rounds but, you never know, we may be drawn against a non-league club or two.

Might as well get the win against Stoke and see where that takes us.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Early thoughts?

I thought we played well. Disappointed not to score more and even more disappointed to have conceded a goal.

Still 2-1 is a good result and enough to see us into the next round. Great to see such wonderful interplay between the Ferguson, Dahoud and Baleba.

How’s that?

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Verbruggen

Hinshelwood
Dunk
Van Hecke
Pervis

Baleba
Moder

BBB
Gross
Pedro

Ferguson

Bench:
McGill
Kavanagh
Samuels
Gilmour
Milner
Lallana
Barrington
O’Mahoney
Welbeck

Swap any of the U21s as see fit. Could see Chouchane on the bench and Milner or Lallana sit out as he’s been knocking on the first team door. Would love to see McConville involved but doesn’t seem to be in favour atm. Presume Peupion and Weir will be kept out so can go on loan elsewhere.
Based on RDZ's post match I am going to revise this to

Verbruggen

Hinshelwood
Dunk
Van Hecke
Milner

Baleba
Moder

BBB
Gross
Pedro

Ferguson

Bench:
McGill
Kavanagh
Samuels
Gilmour
Lallana
Chouchane
Barrington
O’Mahoney
Welbeck

OR

Verbruggen

Hinshelwood
Dunk
Van Hecke
Samuels

Baleba
Moder

BBB
Gross
Pedro

Ferguson

Bench:
McGill
Kavanagh
Slater
Gilmour
Milner
Lallana
Barrington
O’Mahoney
Welbeck

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Early thoughts?

I thought we played well. Disappointed not to score more and even more disappointed to have conceded a goal.

Still 2-1 is a good result and enough to see us into the next round. Great to see such wonderful interplay between the Ferguson, Dahoud and Baleba.

How’s that?
Christ, that was bloody FREEZING. (y)

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I'm loathe to say it, but I'm really not fussed about the FA Cup this year. Hell, we're not going to win it, anyway, and we have enough on our plate as it is. There will always be other years to focus upon it.
After more than a century with no major trophies, what not go for two in one season - one domestic and one European. I’m banking on it
:bloom::dezerbi:
well, you never know!

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Early thoughts?

How’s that?
But we can do clean sheets now!

RustyKent

Jun 2, 2014
Herne Bay
Any tv channels ?
Should be able to find it.
1000019866.png

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports