Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] FA Cup v Stoke early thoughts

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Weak you say ;) ... We were so lucky with injuries last season !View attachment 172155
No doubt it's a strong team but at the time Steele was the number 2 (this was the game he became number 1) and JPVH Facundo and Sarmeinto were fringe players. Veltman and Welbeck were given a rest and I think Solly was too.

As I say, a strong team and with more first teamers than Stoke had for the evening but it's looks stronger in hindsight to a degree. It's like Potters team away at FGR in the cup contained Colwill, Mitoma, Ferguson and Enciso who all ended up as first team regulars but weren't first team at the time. We will play a strong team but I'm sure players will be rested if needs be.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
FYI - the weather will be getting progressively colder this week, so I'd expect a chilly day on Saturday - max temp 6C in a NW breeze, with an outside chance of a wintry shower or 2.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Whilst I'd have the FA Cup as priority 3 this season with Europa 1 and League second, I see no reason why people should not be excited about another run in this competition. If we reached the SF again I'd fancy us to win it. Thanks to the injuries many of our 'reserve' players have now gained valuable first team experience and we have a handful of U23s who are knocking on the door of the 1st team also.

What ever team RDZ puts together on Saturday it should be an exciting one to watch and we an be assured that Roberto will want us to win. I'm looking forward to it, cannot believe this will be my third FA Cup visit to the Britannia.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
FYI - the weather will be getting progressively colder this week, so I'd expect a chilly day on Saturday - max temp 6C in a NW breeze, with an outside chance of a wintry shower or 2.
Thank heavens Stoke have filled in that open corner, that the wind used to funnel in through!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Whilst I'd have the FA Cup as priority 3 this season with Europa 1 and League second, I see no reason why people should not be excited about another run in this competition. If we reached the SF again I'd fancy us to win it. Thanks to the injuries many of our 'reserve' players have now gained valuable first team experience and we have a handful of U23s who are knocking on the door of the 1st team also.

What ever team RDZ puts together on Saturday it should be an exciting one to watch and we an be assured that Roberto will want us to win. I'm looking forward to it, cannot believe this will be my third FA Cup visit to the Britannia.
I didn't go last year, but went to the previous one. What a turnaround from then to now - they were the PL side, and we were in L1, and I think played a centre midfield of Forster Caskey and Battipiedi!

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I didn't go last year, but went to the previous one. What a turnaround from then to now - they were the PL side, and we were in L1, and I think played a centre midfield of Forster Caskey and Battipiedi!
I remember it well, undone by the first long throw they had in the game......

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I remember it well, undone by the first long throw they had in the game......

I was nearly right: JFC actually came on as sub FOR Battipiedi...

We may have been in League One, but I LOVED that Albion side...

................................Brezovan
Calderon.........Elphick.....Greer.....Painter
Bennett......Bridcutt...Battipiedi....Dicker
.....................Barnes...Murray...................

(and Albion LEGENDS Dunk, Sandaza and Holroyd on the bench...)

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
A balance to be found here. Some players need a rest clearly. But we do have no other games for more than 2 weeks afterwards.

-----------Verbruggen
---Van Hecke - Baleba - Dunk
Hinshelwood Dahoud Gilmour Milner
-----------Buonanotte--
-------Welbeck-----Ferguson

With a "second half" team of

-----------Verbruggen
Gross -- Dahoud --Gilmour-- Moder
-----Boaitey------Lallana--
------------Ferguson

Three at the back out of necessity.
A complete day off for Joao Pedro and Pervis. Stay in Sussex and put your feet up lads.
Half games for Welbeck, Facu, Gross. Let's try and get more mins from Moder if we can

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Our best chance of getting European football next season is probably through the cups, so I hope we go for it. In the past I know losing FA Cup finalists have got a European place if the winners have already qualified through league position - does that still apply?

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
A balance to be found here. Some players need a rest clearly. But we do have no other games for more than 2 weeks afterwards.

-----------Verbruggen
Hinshelwood Dahoud Gilmour Milner
-----------Buonanotte--
-------Welbeck-----Ferguson

With a "second half" team of

-----------Verbruggen
Gross -- Dahoud --Gilmour-- Moder
-----Boaitey------Lallana--
------------Ferguson

Three at the back out of necessity.
A complete day off for Joao Pedro and Pervis. Stay in Sussex and put your feet up lads.
Half games for Welbeck, Facu, Gross. Let's try and get more mins from Moder if we can
Given that we can name 9 subs in the Cup, I'd expect Joao Pedro and Pervis to travel too. Just in case we need them.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Positively tropical by Stoke standards.....

Now does the north west breeze hit where the new corner is filled in or the still open ones by the main stand?

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Thanks. Makes sense. Winter hasn’t really set in up here just yet but the break will definitely be useful for us and others.
I think it should mean a strong team on Saturday.
It's come at a great time for us.

Players like Webster, Estupinan, Welbeck who are playing, but look like they need their load managed get a proper recovery.

And it buys time for others like Veltman, Igor, Enciso, Fati, and who knows Lamptey who we might get back to come back in.

I wonder if we're jetting out to Dubai for warm weather training (**spits on floor** we have a heated tent they can play in in Lancing**) or playing any training style friendlies, maybe they just get a week off?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here