Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] FA Cup v Stoke early thoughts

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
We genuinely have more chance at winning the Europa League than the FA Cup, purely because there is no City & Arsenal to worry about.
You could argue that this season, Liverpool and Bayer Leverkusen are better than Citeh & Arsenal.

They are both at the top of their leagues.

Both cups as tough as each other for me.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I’m hoping for a really strong team (as far as injuries allow), but with one or two new young ones.
I’m pretty convinced it’ll be strong. RDZ has never gone full kids and always tries to win with a strong team. I’m convinced this will be no different personally.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
I’m hoping for a really strong team (as far as injuries allow), but with one or two new young ones.
Yes, you would hope so in fairness to the thousands travelling. The diehards are football fans and will also be aware that the cups are traditionally the opportunity to give some squad players much-needed match experience, and so a fairly strong team, if not the strongest possible starting, seems a fair compromise.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
I went to Stoke once in the nineties. I have a ticket for this match it has been long enough between visits to erase the memory of it.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
I got tickets for me and the boy but the only option was collection at the Amex.. Three hours in the wrong direction. Am I an idiot or will there be a way to get them?! Have emailed the ticket office.

Oh_aye

Jul 8, 2022
I know we're playing West Ham on Tuesday, but our 3rd active competition starts on Saturday 6th with a visit to Stoke.

Given the number of injuries we've sustained, contrasting against Roberto's desire to compete on all fronts, I'm intrigued as to how strong we can be for this.

I don't see any injured players returning for this (Buonanotte and Igor aside).

If we are hoping for some domestic Cup glory, this game is important; plus I'm going, so I want to think we can win!

So, what do you think? How strong should be be?
Absolutely go for it. We should be targeting cup comps as much as possible.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Another vote for playing a strong side with a few of the kids involved in the squad.

I am not sure there is that much of a downside in progressing deep into this competition really as we won't take it "Premier league/Europa league" seriously until the quarter finals if we get there. Until then, just use squad rotation to make sure we're competitive, but involve the younger ones too.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Rest Welbs / Milner completely. Start Ferguson. Rest Webster, play Dunk and JPVH. Rest Gross & Billy. Play Baleba and Dahoud. Give a couple of youngsters some time.

Last edited:

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
I got tickets for me and the boy but the only option was collection at the Amex.. Three hours in the wrong direction. Am I an idiot or will there be a way to get them?! Have emailed the ticket office.
Phone the club and ask to collect in Stoke. They have already emailed to say some people have to collect there due to post issues

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I just can’t get excited about the FA Cup since all the changes.

Semi finals at Wembley, each round spread over about 4 days, weakened sides put out by even Championship teams, no replays.

If I’m honest, I don’t care a the Cup anymore, and that makes me quite sad.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
A weakened Albion line up should still be enough, as it was last year, and Stoke likely won’t field their first team either such is the Cup these days. Away win hopefully.

4,000 fans are travelling - bolix to the we don’t care about the cup brigade

I’m sure RDZ will do his usual 6 impossible things before breakfast selection (tho I think of late he’s been calming down on that) but I expect a pretty strong-ish team

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
RDZ has shown time and again that he approaches every game wanting to win. Like f*** will he field a significantly weaker team, or ‘throw’ the cup.
Dunk will start. Fergie will start. As those two are going to win us the Europa League then Stoke away in the cup should be no problem….

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here