FA Cup Team

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I feel exactly the same way about the premier league

3 o'clock on a Saturday

what about 5 or 6 home games a season,if your lucky
Doubt it, we'll have more than we have this season be because we'll be a bottom-half team no-one is much interested in. Be interested to know how many of, say, Bournemouth's games get moved for TV. Less than us currently I suspect.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
GJust musing about Nikki Maenpaa being quoted as saying he looks forward to a run in the FA Cup and got to thinking about whether many fans would happily accept a third round exit if it means focusing on promotion.
I wondered what sort of side we could put out that might have a chance against good quality opposition but wouldn't impact too much on our league form.
This side excludes all of last weekends starters and to me doesn't look half bad:

Maenpaa
Rosenior Hunemeier Goldson Pocognoli
March Kayal Norwood LuaLua
Towell
Hemed

Subs: Ankergren Hunt Collar Ince Hutchinson Skalak Tilley

Will Rosenoir, Lua Lua and Kayal all be fit enough to start when the 3rd round is played.

I would expect to see a shadow team but with more starters on the bench to only come on if players injured or we need a goal. CH may look at the Cup as important for the fringe players as it gives them more game time and therefore they would be more up to speed to step in if others are suspended or injured.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
I know let's put out a weakened side, lose, have a new thread about how the FA Cup has been devalued, a new thread about how poor our reserves are, a new thread about the poor attendance, maybe a new thread linked to the attendance about the cost of the matchday ticket.

I know that I am old school but put out your strongest team in all games, just as much getting injured in training as in game.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
I know let's put out a weakened side, lose, have a new thread about how the FA Cup has been devalued, a new thread about how poor our reserves are, a new thread about the poor attendance, maybe a new thread linked to the attendance about the cost of the matchday ticket.

I know that I am old school but put out your strongest team in all games, just as much getting injured in training as in game.

I am 'old school', and as much as I have sympathy with your intentions the fact is that financially the FA Cup is worth next to sod all whereas the PL is on another planet. Ask TB, who has invested so much, where he might concentrate his troops with a view to ultimate victory.

I wish it were like the old days, but it ain't.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
I am 'old school', and as much as I have sympathy with your intentions the fact is that financially the FA Cup is worth next to sod all whereas the PL is on another planet. Ask TB, who has invested so much, where he might concentrate his troops with a view to ultimate victory.

I wish it were like the old days, but it ain't.

While I agree with you msybe if we had put out a stronger side against Reading in the EFL Cup we would have drawn Arsenal in the next round and given CH an opportunity to see how his side matches up against premier players and giving the fans a chance of a massive away game in London. Also short term an injection of cash for the January window.

We saw last season resting players has no guarantee to success.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
While I agree with you msybe if we had put out a stronger side against Reading in the EFL Cup we would have drawn Arsenal in the next round and given CH an opportunity to see how his side matches up against premier players and giving the fans a chance of a massive away game in London. Also short term an injection of cash for the January window.

Did you see some of the side Arsenal put out yesterday for a 1/4 final? I go to nearly all aways, but probably would have been reluctant to part with £100 or whatever to go and watch two 'B' sides. The home crowds highlighted our enthusiasm for the Reading game, so why would it shoot up just to go to Norf London?

I have every confidence that CH will strike a balance, a play a side he deems fit for purpose.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Loads of rotation for me. Give the squad/returning players a platform to show what they can do.

Maenpaa
Hunemeier
Goldson
Pocognoli
Hunt
Towell
March
KLL
Hemed

I'd save Kayal and Rosenior for the first team when they're back.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016

I'm more of the opinion that having a load of your first team injured for a month is no guarantee of success.

I definitely want us to win the cup, obviously I know that's seriously unlikely, but if I were given the choice of winning the cup or automatic promotion, I would take promotion in a heart beat. This year is different, we have a squad capable of achieving promotion, just as we did for the latter part of last season, but I've not got the confidence we can keep the team together if we don't make it this year. There will be a bit of rebuilding needed if we miss out and who knows what we'll end up with. Of course, promotion to the PL isn't a trophy, but it allows us the breathing space to hopefully build an even more competitive team for the future.

So I'm in agreement with the people that feel we should play a strong team but not risking any of our vital players (depending on the opposition of course)

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
I'm more of the opinion that having a load of your first team injured for a month is no guarantee of success.

I definitely want us to win the cup, obviously I know that's seriously unlikely, but if I were given the choice of winning the cup or automatic promotion, I would take promotion in a heart beat. This year is different, we have a squad capable of achieving promotion, just as we did for the latter part of last season, but I've not got the confidence we can keep the team together if we don't make it this year. There will be a bit of rebuilding needed if we miss out and who knows what we'll end up with. Of course, promotion to the PL isn't a trophy, but it allows us the breathing space to hopefully build an even more competitive team for the future.

So I'm in agreement with the people that feel we should play a strong team but not risking any of our vital players (depending on the opposition of course)

I can see both sides of the discussion, however I genuinely think players have just as much chance of getting injured in training as they have playing and surely the players would rather play than sit in the stands.

Yes, it's a good opportunity to rotate the first team squad however I really don't feel that playing the Development Squad is of any help as they now already have a competition in the EFL (lower league cup).

I'm clearly not alone but if we draw say Hartlepool at home I wouldn't pay to watch our DS but I would pay to watch our first team (bad fan I know).

seagull_in_malaysia

Aug 18, 2006
Reading
As with every season I want us to put out our strongest side and actually try and win it! I'd much rather win the cup or even just get to the final than get promoted. Realistically how many times are you going to see Albion in a cup final in your lifetime? It's what supporting a team is all about! We've always got next season in the league.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
It's a shame that what was once a flagship competition is so belittled now.

It's four victories for a Wembley Semi-Final. Had we played a strong side against Hull City under Oscar we would have met a pretty indifferent Sunderland for a home Quarter Final. I couldn't understand why we didn't go for that- especially at it would have swelled the coffers.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here