Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

FA approach hodgson westbrom give permission to talk!!

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
He has a pretty impressive managerial CV full stop! Inter Milan twice, and the Swiss national team, the Finnish national team and after just double checking on Wiki I see he started his career at palace. Twunt :)

Indeed. It's the international management that's the big thing though. It's such a different beast to club management and if we were looking just short term it is the most important thing to look for. Even long term he would be my choice, but unfortunately i doubt he'll get it.

Max Paper

Sunshiinnnnneeee
Nov 3, 2009
Testicles
I know at least one Spurs ST holder who will be gutted if they get stuck with Harry.

I think it's a little harsh on him to be honest. It's no coincidence that their form dipped (admittedly alarmingly) the day Capello went and he was made instant favorite. Players need an arm around them, they need comfort, they need to feel at home and I have no doubt at all that one or two of them, possibly more, had their heads turned that day. Uncertainty effects players in many ways, I don't think it's fair to blame Harry for that.

Max Paper

Sunshiinnnnneeee
Nov 3, 2009
Testicles
Switzerland. In 1993, Hodgson was their boss. He has form at international level. So, shouuuuuld be better at adapting at short notice for the Euros than Redknapp. Of course it might not turn out like that, but it is a decent indication surely?

Are you telling me that SWITZERLAND are/were the 3rd best team in the WORLD or am i missing something?

I'm no Redknapp fan but if anyone will get the most out of the current aging squad of Terry, Lampard, Gerrard, Cole etc it will be ol' twitchy. Said it before, he's a players manager, they will love him and will play for the shirt, he will fire them up, no doubt.

Old twitchy holds reins at Spurs he would NOT have a hold of for England.
Being a bit of a yobby knocker-boy wheeler and dealer, he can hold it over players that they can be replaced and that they are often lucky to have a job at all.
He WON'T be able to rant and swear at Lampard and Terry and Cole and Rooney, they will only respond to tactical nouse and work-along-with persuasion of what the manager can see and what he knows better than them.
If Harry Redknapp managed to convince some of them that he's worthy of respect, can bolster confidence and put his arm around players when they have doubts of their own - I'd be surprised about that.

My favourite would be O'Neill, but he hasn't seemed to have attracted interest from the FA for this post

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
Is Harry the right man for the England job??

Personally I think Mourinho would be an inspired choice.

Max Paper

Sunshiinnnnneeee
Nov 3, 2009
Testicles
Old twitchy holds reins at Spurs he would NOT have a hold of for England.
Being a bit of a yobby knocker-boy wheeler and dealer, he can hold it over players that they can be replaced and that they are often lucky to have a job at all.
He WON'T be able to rant and swear at Lampard and Terry and Cole and Rooney, they will only respond to tactical nouse and work-along-with persuasion of what the manager can see and what he knows better than them.
If Harry Redknapp managed to convince some of them that he's worthy of respect, can bolster confidence and put his arm around players when they have doubts of their own - I'd be surprised about that.

My favourite would be O'Neill, but he hasn't seemed to have attracted interest from the FA for this post

I have to disagree, after the 2010 world cup when the players were bored, confined to their rooms etc, Harry would have them enjoying themselves, laughing, creating a team spirit. That goes a long way regarding performances on the pitch. Look at England under Venables at Euro '96. Yes it was on home soil but the two managers are very similar in my opinion. We'll wait and see I guess.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I have to disagree, after the 2010 world cup when the players were bored, confined to their rooms etc, Harry would have them enjoying themselves, laughing, creating a team spirit. That goes a long way regarding performances on the pitch. Look at England under Venables at Euro '96. Yes it was on home soil but the two managers are very similar in my opinion. We'll wait and see I guess.

The sooner they appoint Harry the better as the excuses will be legendary

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
... Uncertainty effects players in many ways, I don't think it's fair to blame Harry for that.

i do. the distraction was an excuse for a few games, where it might be at the back of players and managers minds, so they lose focus. but this far down the line a good man manager should have reassured and refocused everyone long ago. theres a job to do this season regardless of what happens in May.

Harry, his close associates or the club should have told the FA to show their hand. ironically, they said they wouldnt announce until the end of the season to avoid interfering with their chosen managers club performance. for me the fact they havent changed that attitude despite it clearly being counter-productive to Redknapps season, tells me he is not the target. (though with the FA you cant rule out shear pigheaded stubborness and stupidity).

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
Im fed up with having a foreign manager for the England job, is it just me who thinks you should be from that nation to manage it :s

I understand where you are coming from but to be honest I'm not sure we have anyone good enough to be successful in the role

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I think it's a little harsh on him to be honest. It's no coincidence that their form dipped (admittedly alarmingly) the day Capello went and he was made instant favorite. Players need an arm around them, they need comfort, they need to feel at home and I have no doubt at all that one or two of them, possibly more, had their heads turned that day. Uncertainty effects players in many ways, I don't think it's fair to blame Harry for that.

He contends that the likes of Bale and Bentley among others look world beaters for one or two games a season.... trouble is the season isn't 2 games. He reckons Harry can't motivate them and if things go wrong on the pitch he is slow to react. Not my words, like I say a ST holder.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here