Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

FA approach hodgson westbrom give permission to talk!!

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Possibly, but I wouldn't even take Defoe, I just don't rate him.

And Redknapp would've taken him - Redknapp is to Defoe what Peter Taylor is to Junior Lewis.

coming from a ST holder, Defoe is our worst striker by a mile..... Pav was better but feel out with Harry so he wasnt getting another chance.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Maybe i am looking to much into it, but having to have to deal with the shite that has come out of his mouth since he took over as that effect on you.

Most fans want rid of him for a number of reason, not all result based.

He is a chancer, Levy brought him in as a firefighter and he got lucky with the squad he had when he came in.

Thats remarkably ungrateful. Bit like the Brighton fans who want rid of Poyet for not making the play-offs. You were bottom of the league when he took over. Next season you finished 4th, highest position since 1987, quarter finals of the champions league the next season, and you were challenging for the title for half of this season whilst playing great football. I really don't get it at all.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
born in Croydon

I just noticed this as well on the BBC website, so are we allowed to like him?

Having said that, I would rate him way ahead of Harry Redknapp in every respect.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Thats remarkably ungrateful. Bit like the Brighton fans who want rid of Poyet for not making the play-offs. You were bottom of the league when he took over. Next season you finished 4th, highest position since 1987, quarter finals of the champions league the next season, and you were challenging for the title for half of this season whilst playing great football. I really don't get it at all.

I see you are reading into the Media love in.

1. He never has a plan B
2. Two seasons in a row we have gone through these runs after Christmas
3. He runs players into the ground with little or no rotation
4. If you upset Harry once, you are gone, no second chance - he is Petty and holds grudges
5. He is disloyal
6. He surrounds himself by yes men
7. Its never his fault, never takes the blame but always the credit
8. Plays Bale on the Right and Modders on the left
9. His record in the transfer window is terrible
10. There are times this season where you could tell the players had no idea what they were doing, much like Mcghee and his magic hat.
11. outbursts in the press against the club.

He likes to take credit for Bale, he wanted to sell him to Ajax and Jol when he came to the club

I could go on....

The Giant Bolster

Apr 18, 2012
My 2 bobs worth is that he's (Hodgson) a very plain manager. Probably won't find him on the Italian Riveria in a pair of speedo's, or trying to get on Ulrika Johnsson, or Hodgson opening an offshore account in the name of his dog.
He is a safe bet. You'll just get football with him and not all the off field antics. Which hopefully will rub off on the pre madonna's that we have that aren't proud to pull on the 3 lions, roll their sleeves up and play for their country. First step is to get Parker as permanent captain, then go from there.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
I see you are reading into the Media love in.

1. He never has a plan B
2. Two seasons in a row we have gone through these runs after Christmas
3. He runs players into the ground with little or no rotation
4. If you upset Harry once, you are gone, no second chance - he is Petty and holds grudges
5. He is disloyal
6. He surrounds himself by yes men
7. Its never his fault, never takes the blame but always the credit
8. Plays Bale on the Right and Modders on the left
9. His record in the transfer window is terrible
10. There are times this season where you could tell the players had no idea what they were doing, much like Mcghee and his magic hat.
11. outbursts in the press against the club.

He likes to take credit for Bale, he wanted to sell him to Ajax and Jol when he came to the club

I could go on....

I've always liked Harry, never understood the level of vitriol against him..

but it is remarkable how the most successful manager you've had in over 20 years is apparently rubbish. Football fans, fickle much?

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
My 2 bobs worth is that he's (Hodgson) a very plain manager. Probably won't find him on the Italian Riveria in a pair of speedo's, or trying to get on Ulrika Johnsson, or Hodgson opening an offshore account in the name of his dog.
He is a safe bet. You'll just get football with him and not all the off field antics. Which hopefully will rub off on the pre madonna's that we have that aren't proud to pull on the 3 lions, roll their sleeves up and play for their country. First step is to get Parker as permanent captain, then go from there.

I lover Parker, but look to the future, Wilshere/Jones for me

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I've always liked Harry, never understood the level of vitriol against him..

but it is remarkable how the most successful manager you've had in over 20 years is apparently rubbish. Football fans, fickle much?

Its quite easy to judge from the outside, with out seeing us play/seeing his mistakes

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Totally agree with all this. Living in hampshire and talking to both Southampton and Portsmouth people (I know - it's difficult, but you have to make the effort), there does seem to be a common denominator about reckoning that mr redknapp was a major contributor to their respective financial problems. Whether that is fair about Southampton I don't know, because I wouldn't have thought he was there long enough, but I am not speaking from a level of knowledge about the subject.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I lover Parker, but look to the future, Wilshere/Jones for me

Where would Jones even get in the side, though. He's pretty average anywhere other than centre back, and for me he's behind Cahill and Lescott now, and probably Smalling in the longer term.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
When I said "totally agree with this", it was supposed to be colossal squid's pro Roy anti harry piece on page 15.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

But that bottom of the league thing was a ridiculous irregularity. The squad he took over should've rightfully been around 6th-8th.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Using Jones as an example really, someone younger Cahill would be a good shout.

Would be happy with Cahill or Lescott, having it. To be honest I don't like the concept of a 'permanent captain' anyway. Puts too much pressure on the manager to find a place for that player in every side, regardless of form / tactics / opposition.

If I were manager, I'd just do the Italian thing and give it to the player with the most caps. If forced to choose a permanent one, I'd give it to the only player guaranteed a place - Joe Hart.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
But that bottom of the league thing was a ridiculous irregularity. The squad he took over should've rightfully been around 6th-8th.

Ramos was using Bentley as a RB, Modric was still settling.

We were never going to go down, Redknapp came into a very good squad. King, BAE, Modders, Bale, Defoe, Pav, Huddlestone, Dawson, Bent among the team

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Its quite easy to judge from the outside, with out seeing us play/seeing his mistakes

Nice edit :thumbsup:

Even those people who get angry at Poyet for playing Barnes on the wing and CMS up front on his own give him credit for all the good he's done in lifting us off the bottom and taking us to our highest position in 20 years. I'm just surprised that you are so negative about Redknapp. Of course no manager is perfect or beyond criticism, plenty of people criticising Fergie's team selection last night or Mourinho's style when he was at Chelsea.

Perhaps one gets a clearer image when viewed from the outside, I've seen Spurs throw money at signings year after year and change manager after manager in an attempt to reach your 80's form again, hell even finishing in the top half of the table has been a struggle for most of the premiership years. You finally have a manager who has delivered three consecutive very successful seasons, and does that without compromising the attractive football that Spurs is known for, and apparently the fans want rid. Its a strange one.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here