[Other Sport] F1 2022

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

D

Deleted member 2719

Guess the total amount of pitstops today 50???

Max could push too hard yet.

D

Deleted member 2719

Monster drive from Alonso.:clap2::clap2:

Lando also doing a great job considering his illness.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
That was a surprisingly fun race.

Luck, both good and bad, striking all over the place. The win was rather handed to Max after he put himself in the gravel and couldn't get past Russell but I guess that's just lady luck evening things up a little seeing as he's had two dnfs. It's looking like reliability is going to play a big part in the season.

Also, Mercedes must be delighted with their performance(apart from the issue at the end). Driver of the day is surely either Russell or Hamilton.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
So far-

Bahrain- Quali HAM Race HAM
Saudi- Quali RUS Race RUS
Aus- Quali HAM Race RUS
Italy- Quali RUS Race RUS
USA- Quali RUS Race RUS
Spain- Quali RUS Race RUS

D

Deleted member 2719

Not much going on, on this thread this year.

Shame really, as it has a good chance of being an open season too.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Realistically there's no chance of a Brit winning the world title, the new rules are still working through (Karen Horner's comments about spend cap are going to linger, they'll just have to take the increase in their running cost off their development spend like everyone else), Miami was one of the dullest races I've ever seen and plenty of sessions have clashed with the Albion, which is not a consideration again until August.

At least it's Monaco this week which should be, erm, zzzzzzzz :yawn:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
One thing I will say on the costs is it can’t help having the calendar jump around so much. An entirely pointless one week jaunt to the US isn’t exactly great for the financial or environmental factors. If they’re moving to blocks next season then great, it makes more sense.

As for Monaco, as a spectator it can do one. Utter tedious tripe.

D

Deleted member 2719

Realistically there's no chance of a Brit winning the world title, the new rules are still working through (Karen Horner's comments about spend cap are going to linger, they'll just have to take the increase in their running cost off their development spend like everyone else), Miami was one of the dullest races I've ever seen and plenty of sessions have clashed with the Albion, which is not a consideration again until August.

At least it's Monaco this week which should be, erm, zzzzzzzz :yawn:

With 17 Gps left I think it maybe premature saying a brit can't win.
George is in pole position, Ferrari and red bull being so close could take one another out.

Anything could happen......even at Monaco!

One thing I will say on the costs is it can’t help having the calendar jump around so much. An entirely pointless one week jaunt to the US isn’t exactly great for the financial or environmental factors. If they’re moving to blocks next season then great, it makes more sense.

I agree, they clearly want to keep the Americans watching.
Seems silly though.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo

I think there would have been a lot more talk on the Barcelona race if it hadn't clashed with the Albion.

Shame as it was one of the more fun Barcelona races I can remember. A big plus was the performances of the Mercedes. Hamilton was, I believe, for large parts of the race the quickest on the circuit and George did something Bottas failed miserably to do the last few years and keep max behind him. Admittedly Max's lack of DRS helped but still it showed great skill. Hopefully that's a sign of things to come with Mercedes and not a one race outlier.

If we can have Mercedes competitive then it will keep the title race more interesting. They're not going to win it but if they're genuine podium contenders they can shake the finishing order up nicely.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
If we can have Mercedes competitive then it will keep the title race more interesting. They're not going to win it but if they're genuine podium contenders they can shake the finishing order up nicely.

I'm now pretty confident that Mercedes will win at least one race on merit before the end of the season. There's been some data from the Barcelona race that suggests they have now solved the porpoising issue. To such an extent that they were one of two teams to stand out as having the smallest problem with it during the race. That being the case, they can now put their development focus back onto looking for outright performance - some of which will likely be found through nothing more than set up optimisation finding the right compromise between performance and porpoising.

Also: something to watch out for for Monaco - keep an eye on Bottas' times on Friday. Analysis of which cars were quickest through the final chicane at Barcelona (widely considered a good predictor for Monaco) had the Alfa Romeo's way out in front.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010

The race yes. I'd argue that qualifying is the best of the year though

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Also: something to watch out for for Monaco - keep an eye on Bottas' times on Friday. Analysis of which cars were quickest through the final chicane at Barcelona (widely considered a good predictor for Monaco) had the Alfa Romeo's way out in front.

Dug out the tweet. The data is based on GPS traces through the final chicane, and is backed up by other sources as well. Just be wary of the actual graph - the Y-axis exaggerates a bit. Still - Alfa fastest of all through that specific section bodes well for them at Monaco. Talk is that it appears their car is a) very good through the slow corners, and b) very good on traction out of the slow corners. Both very good traits for Monaco. Podium for Bottas if he finishes the race?

[tweet]1529063950595284993[/tweet]

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I'm now pretty confident that Mercedes will win at least one race on merit before the end of the season. There's been some data from the Barcelona race that suggests they have now solved the porpoising issue. To such an extent that they were one of two teams to stand out as having the smallest problem with it during the race. That being the case, they can now put their development focus back onto looking for outright performance - some of which will likely be found through nothing more than set up optimisation finding the right compromise between performance and porpoising.

If they can get their car good enough to win races that will really shake up the championship.

Interesting bout the Alpha's. I wouldn't be anti a bottas podium, in fact I'd quite enjoy a Bottas win. He's gotten a lot o f stick over the last few years, some of it deserved, so it'd be nice for him to have an f.u to all of us who have criticised him.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
If they can get their car good enough to win races that will really shake up the championship.

Interesting bout the Alpha's. I wouldn't be anti a bottas podium, in fact I'd quite enjoy a Bottas win. He's gotten a lot o f stick over the last few years, some of it deserved, so it'd be nice for him to have an f.u to all of us who have criticised him.

Grrr schoolboy error that really winds me up as it’s a regular mis-spelling from non Alfa aficionados :smile:

They are not Alphas !

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I think there would have been a lot more talk on the Barcelona race if it hadn't clashed with the Albion.

Shame as it was one of the more fun Barcelona races I can remember. A big plus was the performances of the Mercedes. Hamilton was, I believe, for large parts of the race the quickest on the circuit and George did something Bottas failed miserably to do the last few years and keep max behind him. Admittedly Max's lack of DRS helped but still it showed great skill. Hopefully that's a sign of things to come with Mercedes and not a one race outlier.

If the Mercs start getting some podiums together, then the points difference could start showing some dramatic movement. Verstappen and LeClerc are due a clash at some point. Plenty of races to go.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports