Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] F1 2022

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
As it's too early for the 2026 thread, thought I'd share the latest on the "will they, won't they?" VW saga here.

VW's CEO has very strongly hinted that both Porsche and Audi will enter Formula 1 in 2026. That season will see both new engine rules (simplified on the electric side, but with the electric that remains beefed up a lot, along with further moves towards renewable / greener fuels for the ICE) and revised chassis / aero rules. As such, it marks a logical point for the VW brands to enter as the advantages of teams / manufacturer's already in the sport will be reduced.

It's thought that Porsche will enter via a partnership with Red Bull Power Trains, leading to a likely Red Bull Porsche badged team from 2026 onwards. Audi, on the other hand, appears to favour going it alone - however it's uncertain at the moment what shape that might take. Rumours are that Audi has taken over an aborted F1 engine program that Porsche had started (and then abandoned in the wake of dieselgate) and will modernise that design. It is also widely believed that Audi have been talking to multiple teams (McLaren, Williams, Sauber [Alfa Romeo], and Aston Martin) about buying a stake (if not a controlling interest), but it appears that so far those talks haven't produced anything firm. It's possible they may go it alone with a full factory team if they can't convince an existing team to sell. Or they may settle for being an engine supplier only, assuming a team is willing to sign up.

Audi's possible entry as a full factory team may be playing a part in F1 dragging its feet over the possible Andretti entry. While there are theoretically 12 available grid slots for teams, with only 10 currently in use, it does appear that F1 is very wary about diluting the prize fund for the existing teams and will only ok a new entry if it is strongly believed to be able to add to the sport. They do not want to repeat the mistake the last time multiple new teams were added (with none of those teams ultimately surviving, and none of them ever troubling the midfield).

Andretti may find that his best (only?) way into F1 is to do a deal with Audi, and delay his entry to 2026. Andretti Audi has a nice ring to it... (and they could do a sponsor deal with the AA, who they might need to recover the cars if the engine proves to be Honda-levels of unreliable :lolol::lolol:.

If Audi join as a factory team then I hope the 2026 regs include adding indicators that must be used to show when you are entering the pits so the Audi racing drivers can ignore them every bit as much as Audi driving school run mums do on the streets of Britain :moo:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Red Bull and Porsche, a marriage made in heaven ( and likely to be successful too :down:) Arrogant team, arrogant engine supplier.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Will there also be a Skoda entry...? We've been waiting 20 years now: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2002/mar/03/sport.motorracing

Hah ... except that particular rumour was nothing more than that, a rumour. The assets were actually bought by a mob calling themselves Phoenix (with links to Tom Walkinshaw, and who already owned the defunct Arrows team assets). They thought they'd bought everything they needed to get into F1 through the backdoor (by claiming to be a renamed existing team), but it turned out they hadn't, F1 designated them a new team, and they couldn't get the funds together to pay the new team entry fee.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Hope that the Mercs are getting more competitive? Russel top and Lewis 4th in second practice?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Hope that the Mercs are getting more competitive? Russel top and Lewis 4th in second practice?

Would certainly throw a new dynamic into the season if their revised front and rear wings do make a difference. Think both drivers tried different things with the new parts so will be interesting if they are closer come qualifying or whether Russell is just faster in this car set up.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
Russell faster than Hamilton in 3x practice sessions..

Marty___Mcfly

Sep 14, 2011
Russell out in Q2 I take it all back

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Just wanted to say how much I enjoyed seeing Danica Patrick on the show today. And not just for her insightful comments and breadth of knowledge.

Marty___Mcfly

Sep 14, 2011
Just wanted to say how much I enjoyed seeing Danica Patrick on the show today. And not just for her insightful comments and breadth of knowledge.

Seconded.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Russell out in Q2 I take it all back

As said previously, they’re trying various setups on the cars to try to unlock pace. One moment Russell has the pace in their car, next minute Hamilton. You may still be right but going to be a while until Mercedes settle on a setup - it’s like 2 separate cars up until now.

Marty___Mcfly

Sep 14, 2011
It’s mad that with all their resources, Merc cannot solve the car ‘bouncing around like a kangaroo’

And that they designed a car that does that in the first place.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Still struggling to warm to Russell.

No George YOU were 12th, WE were 6th

"Yesterday, it looked like we were in the fight for pole but today we were 12th, so it doesn't really make a lot of sense."

Marty___Mcfly

Sep 14, 2011
I guess the ‘we’ is possibly referring to the team that constitutes his side of the garage [emoji2369]

Early days with George anyway- hopefully he’s there for the long term and will have his time in the sun.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I could live happily without ever seeing another race on this circuit. Boring, far too hot for the cars and more hubris than Trump up one of his own towers.

After a fantastic banquet of sport this is a wet lettuce of a dessert

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I could live happily without ever seeing another race on this circuit. Boring, far too hot for the cars and more hubris than Trump up one of his own towers.

After a fantastic banquet of sport this is a wet lettuce of a dessert

I believe I heard on 5Live that this circuit has signed a 15 year deal to stage a F1 world championship race.

Seems such a waste that the constructors go to such pains to design and develop machines at the pinnacle of motorsport and then the current organisers make the drivers drive them round such bland and insipid circuits.

Back in the day, the circuit was part of the spectacle and brought an added ingredient and unique challenges and atmosphere. Now, many of them are like Morrison’s car park with a pit Lane.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here