[Misc] F1 2021

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
Maybe the rules will need to be re-written to address this sort of style of driving / strategy. E.g. it doesn't work asking drivers to give a place back if they do it in such a way that they can re-take again immediately under DRS - zero consequence (not saying it is only Max who has done that). So maybe they change that and just say - if you gain a place by going off track its an automatic time penalty - e.g. a drive through penalty. That might stop it. Then wait for the next rule he starts exploiting and change that, etc.

I seem to recall some time ago that if you had to give a place back you couldn't attack again for another 2 more corners.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I think you’ve hit the nail firmly on the head. I often suspected that racists and sports loving racists on these shores thought along the lines of:

“I wish that black gobshite would keep his nose out of race politics. Button didn’t do it. What’s it got to do with him?”.

Possibly also … “He’s lucky that this country gave him an opportunity, so keep fkn quiet”.

The taxes argument is the dead giveaway. Virtually no one slagged off a white-skinned army of tax haven residing UK born n bred sportsmen, actors, celebs.

But with Lewis everyone and his uncle suddenly had an interest in overseas residency.

Absolutely no issue with Lord Botham of course.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Probably a bit slow to this, but just noticed the crossover of the football and racing on Sunday. arrgghhhhh

Is there any chance at all of avoiding the result and watching on catch up? Nahh, probably not

That's what I'm going to try and do, Likely lad style :wink:

D

Deleted member 2719

And Lewis, Hunt and Mansell.

All sporting heroes to any British patriot.

We have been here before, a sporting hero to me has to be a likable winner, preferably British of course.

We can't all like the same I agree, but there is nothing to dislike about the first three I mentioned, the second three are less likable IMO.

Max isn't likable.

Whereas Norris in a fast car could become another Button, Stewart or Hill. Can't wait for this.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The shame of it. I am actually more interested in watching next weekend’s Grand Prix than the Albion vs Spurs game. Now that is surely the definition of a bad fan. Not finally decided but….

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
We have been here before, a sporting hero to me has to be a likable winner, preferably British of course.

We can't all like the same I agree, but there is nothing to dislike about the first three I mentioned, the second three are less likable IMO.

Max isn't likable.

Whereas Norris in a fast car could become another Button, Stewart or Hill. Can't wait for this.

Agreed about not liking the same. I have never liked Jackie Stewart and would never describe him as likeable, dull man up his own arse imo :shrug:

I like “characters” like Mansell, Hamilton, and especially Hunt ( although I imagine he could be a right little shit in real life) and to a lesser degree Button.

Max is a fabulous driver but not in the least bit likeable or charismatic

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Agreed about not liking the same. I have never liked Jackie Stewart and would never describe him as likeable, dull man up his own arse imo :shrug:

I like “characters” like Mansell, Hamilton, and especially Hunt ( although I imagine he could be a right little shit in real life) and to a lesser degree Button.

I missed Hill snr, Clark and Stewart.

Reckon I would’ve liked them all. I never got the dislike a British sportsman bit.

I first came across it at uni where born n bred Brits with bitchy venom hated our sporting greats.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

I believe he is on the top tier in terms of talent. Up there with Senna, Hamilton, Schumacher, Prost etc.

However, in terms of his ethics and character, he seems unsurpassed in awfulness, even by Schumacher.

He will win at all costs, even if this means cheating. I believe this is a most unbritish and vile characteristic and can’t believe anyone would favour this villain over a Briton.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
I have to pull you up here, as none of the list you have put, has ever used their fan base to promote political views.

Maybe Coulthard has been banging on about Scottish independence that I haven't seen???

Lewis loves the limelight and you can be assured when leaving the sport he will not be popping off the scene, he will be all over America, strutting his stuff and thanking the crowds, he does actually believe he is the messiah.

Why does he feel the need? just drive fast, keep your gob shut do the business, and everyone we love ya, Lewis.

My only take on this is that you don’t agree with LH political views and are pissed off that he has the nerve to express them. I strongly suspect that if he had a pro brexit point of view or a picture of Alf Garrett in his living room you’d be waxing lyrical regards his driving.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
I have to pull you up here, as none of the list you have put, has ever used their fan base to promote political views.

Maybe Coulthard has been banging on about Scottish independence that I haven't seen???

Lewis loves the limelight and you can be assured when leaving the sport he will not be popping off the scene, he will be all over America, strutting his stuff and thanking the crowds, he does actually believe he is the messiah.

Why does he feel the need? just drive fast, keep your gob shut do the business, and everyone we love ya, Lewis.

why can't he express himself about deeply held beliefs?

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Because some posters in the past, plus predictable parts of the written media, have:

- Slagged off Hamilton for his BLM support, bringing taking the knee to F1; and the same people
- Relentlessly obsessed about LH’s overseas residence, angry about that and the ensuing tax consequences. Often getting their tax facts wildly wrong.

Whilst NOT ONCE EVER mentioning the overseas residence or tax haven status of:
Coultard
Button
Norris
Verstappen
Mansell
Damon Hill
Stewart
Countless UK-born golfers, celebs.

What are the odds of that? Must be something about Lewis.

Could be a whole host of things - from driving style to fashion sense

I’ve not seen anyone on here making any negative association to the colour of his skin - the suggestion that any dislike for him is because of the colour of his skin is using the race card to criticise those views without any justification for doing so.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Worth posting imo. Now there is a man with a cool head who has the mentality to beat the aggressive maniac he is in competition with. Can’t wait for season finale. Really hope it doesn’t end on the first lap

https://youtu.be/nfDv35LRYJ4

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Could be a whole host of things - from driving style to fashion sense

I’ve not seen anyone on here making any negative association to the colour of his skin - the suggestion that any dislike for him is because of the colour of his skin is using the race card to criticise those views without any justification for doing so.

You could flip this on it's head, why make a negative association to his fashion sense, personality, politics or whatever else when these have rarely if ever been so enthusiastically applied to those successful in the sport previously? It's not just the justification for disliking him, it's the refusal to even accept he is one of the best drivers to have ever raced an F1 car, when the same level of criticism is rarely applied to others in this sport or others. Suddenly the bar for judging Hamilton as a driver includes a load of other stuff I've never seen applied to any other driver in the sport before. Unconscious bias is a real thing and some don't even know they do it, let alone make comments about it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports