Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] F1 2021

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Yep, too impatient. He needed to pass on the straight, could have waited a lap or two to tee it up. The battler in him took over, he threw it away

Ironically, Lewis Hamilton used to make those sort of mistakes when he was younger but learned by experience and is now cool under pressure. Whether Lewis can win a record-breaking 8th world title will depend in part on how Verstappen handles these high pressure moments, but there's no doubting the Dutchman is a phenomenal talent.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Please don't buy into the agenda, regarding his colour which has feck all to do with it, I see the personality and nothing else.

Why can I not criticise Hamilton??? We do it to Zaha, we know he is a good player, but he cheats the same thing really.

Yes, Hamilton hangs on in there, but you forget the cheating laps he and Bottas did.

I, just like most F1 fans want to see races where the cars are close enough in pace that we don't have procession as we have for the past few seasons.

Let just agree on that surely???

This could be that season, that reignites fans:rock:

I liked the fact there was a widening in Hamilton's eyes at the interview rather than looking like he had been on a Sunday drive to Ford market.

I hope that is big enough praise for you.:)

Nobody has mentioned the colour of his skin except you, the word was agenda, that you don't like him, that you don't think he should be a Sir, that you say he cheats etc etc.
Why would you say that it is nothing to do with skin colour unless, as usual, you are covering yourself before something is actually said, its so easy to read between your lines when you constantly do that.
No doubt you have about 4 black friends.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Ironically, Lewis Hamilton used to make those sort of mistakes when he was younger but learned by experience and is now cool under pressure. Whether Lewis can win a record-breaking 8th world title will depend in part on how Verstappen handles these high pressure moments, but there's no doubting the Dutchman is a phenomenal talent.

Yep, Lewis’ overtaking move on Button when they were both at McLaren in a rain blighted Canadian GP being a case in point. He doesn’t do things like that anymore. Be interesting to see if Max can mature and be less impetuous as the season goes on, especially if he has the fastest car. No doubting his talent and potential though. I think Perez will also have a great season, cool and good under pressure.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
I think Perez will also have a great season, cool and good under pressure.
Last to 5th was another good drive from Perez, if he'd have started in his grid slot he'd have been mixing it with Bottas.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Yep, Lewis’ overtaking move on Button when they were both at McLaren in a rain blighted Canadian GP being a case in point. He doesn’t do things like that anymore. Be interesting to see if Max can mature and be less impetuous as the season goes on, especially if he has the fastest car. No doubting his talent and potential though. I think Perez will also have a great season, cool and good under pressure.

It is worth noting that when Hamilton and Button were teammates at McLaren for 3 seasons (2010-2012) it was Jenson that outscored Lewis by 672 points to 657. It has only been since 2013 when Lewis moved to Mercedes that it all clicked into place for him.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
It is worth noting that when Hamilton and Button were teammates at McLaren for 3 seasons (2010-2012) it was Jenson that outscored Lewis by 672 points to 657. It has only been since 2013 when Lewis moved to Mercedes that it all clicked into place for him.

Doesn't really tell the whole picture. Race wins LH got 10 to JB's 8. Retirements (either driver or mechanical) LH 11 to JB 6. LH finished higher than JB in 2 out of the 3 seasons. Only 1 driver out qualified the Red Bulls in 2011 of the entire field - LH, as he pretty much did in 2010 along with Alonso. In 2012 LH got 7 poles to JB's 1. He had 3 retirements from pole in 2012 - none of them his fault.

Jenson performed great at McLaren, a very good driver who consistently racked up points. Think it would be wrong to suggest he outperformed LH though just based on points accumulated, LH was supremely fast. Okay on points he didn't completely outperform JB, but overall he was quicker than both Alonso and Button while at McLaren.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Doesn't really tell the whole picture. Race wins LH got 10 to JB's 8. Retirements (either driver or mechanical) LH 11 to JB 6. LH finished higher than JB in 2 out of the 3 seasons. Only 1 driver out qualified the Red Bulls in 2011 of the entire field - LH, as he pretty much did in 2010 along with Alonso. In 2012 LH got 7 poles to JB's 1. He had 3 retirements from pole in 2012 - none of them his fault.

Jenson performed great at McLaren, a very good driver who consistently racked up points. Think it would be wrong to suggest he outperformed LH though just based on points accumulated, LH was supremely fast. Okay on points he didn't completely outperform JB, but overall he was quicker than both Alonso and Button while at McLaren.

And, of course, both Alonso and Button were the reigning world champions when they became Hamilton's teammate.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

Agree, but I wasn't trying to demonstrate that Button was better than Lewis - which he wasn't - but that Lewis took a number of years to evolve into the driver he is today. I'd argue that Button was the better driver at looking after his car and tyres in that 2010-12 spell, and I think having that teammate ultimately helped Lewis learn his craft.

Verstappen has the raw pace, the instincts and the sheer balls required to be a champion, but he still needs to learn how to be street smart.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I totally respect your opinion as you've actually raced, but Bahrain is the only "new" circuit I like. Turn 1 is an opportunity for carnage, overtaking or both, turn 10 is a bugger and the tyres don't last long. The other new ones are car parks but not this. The one thing that's wrong with it is that turn 4 invites you to run wide and the "no advantage" diktat meant it was having the piss taken out of it precisely until it mattered. Even then, credit to Sir Lewis for only allowing Max round him at the one point on the circuit where it wouldn't count - some presence of mind at 200mph.

But, yeah, Norris had a great race.

There are no rights or wrongs, its just that the modern circuits are designed for modern cars, and thats what younger people know, my lad loves the circuit. . . He does a lot of sim driving. Us old gits like old circuits, particularly when driving old cars . . . . The best cross over example is probably Spa. FIrst time I went 20 years ago the bus stop chicane was a bus stop shape, literally. It's been ruined bit by bit, year by year, to suit F1, to the detriment of every other race series. The new chicane is horrible in an old car, and punishing on it. Unecessarily so. They could have at least left 2 options as they did at Sillystone ( another old circuit ruined!!)

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
In terms of tracks, there are arguably only two tracks which are dull as ditchwater these days, Sochi and Monaco. Ironically one of the newest and one of the oldest. Every other track has a redeeming feature.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
In terms of tracks, there are arguably only two tracks which are dull as ditchwater these days, Sochi and Monaco. Ironically one of the newest and one of the oldest. Every other track has a redeeming feature.

Yeh, I don't enjoy Monaco either

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
First practice at Imola and Mazapin has already had another two spins to go with his four or five from the first race.

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
A34FED70-25E7-4C0B-B5D2-8CEEE633BDCA.jpeg

Hass hoping to have some upgrades ready for Mazespin tomorrow...

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Verstappen found a cheeky 1/2 second in final practice but he has clearly been sand bagging. So have the Mercedes boys as Norris was able to match their pace.

Qualifying looks to be intriguing. I reckon Max will grab it with a 1:13:8 with Hamilton at around 1:14:4, can’t see anyone else other than Bottas getting below 1:15:0

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Qualifying moved to allow F1 fans to watch Prince Phillip’s funeral who was apparently an F1 fan

Bottas was quickest yesterday, can he be blown away by Lewis or will he hold his nerve?

I bloody LOVE F1

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
Incredible performance by LH. Half a second faster than his team mate, look how close all the other team mates were. There is no way that Merc is as fast as the RB.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Incredible performance by LH. Half a second faster than his team mate, look how close all the other team mates were. There is no way that Merc is as fast as the RB.

Once again proves he’s the GOAT. Gutted for Lando.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
That was an excellent qualifying.

Hamilton's 99th pole, Perez out qualifying Perez, Lando's absolute stormer(sadly deleted).

The race will be interesting with two Red Bull's behind Hamilton. Will they order perez out of the way of Max or let them race?

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
That was an excellent qualifying.

Hamilton's 99th pole, Perez out qualifying Perez, Lando's absolute stormer(sadly deleted).

The race will be interesting with two Red Bull's behind Hamilton. Will they order perez out of the way of Max or let them race?

Perez is an also ran to Max at the moment as far as the team is concerned but I think he is just as good, time will tell. Red Bull is built around Max, this could get “interesting”

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here