Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] F1 2021

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I often wonder if sporting greats in other cultures and nationalities are treated the same as in this country.

Say someone like Maradona, clearly a very flawed human being but a genius with the ball and worshiped like a god in Argentina.

I find some mentalities in this country very strange, we choose to highlight character flaws or bad moments instead of seeing the true greatness that’s right in front of our eyes, it’s not just Lewis either, we see it with many sports stars, I remember when Murray won Wimbledon and the Olympics, people choose to remember ‘this guy joked about wanting England to lose’ instead of appreciating the history of a British man winning massive honours.

I’d love to know if it’s the same in other countries, do some Argentinians hate Messi? Do some Jamaicans hate Usain Bolt? I suspect they are probably viewed as gods, and not disliked for living in Monaco or wearing weird clothes.

Many other countries ranging from the US to Sweden, as well as all the ex Soviet and ex Yugoslavian nations, have a huge pride in their winning national sports teams and sports folk. Winners revered, almost gods.

Whilst in the UK there’s always been, even before social media, a large rump who have to hate a winner. I knew sports ‘loving’ Brits who variously wanted e.g. Mansell, D.Hill, Faldo, Lyle, Radcliffe, Piggott, Botham, Gower, Willis, Guscott, M.Johnson to fail. When asked why, the reply was never a carefully argued reason, instead the quite spiteful “I can’t stand the bloke/woman”.

Which runs in parallel with tabloid hacks, built of the same DNA, seemingly on a mission to destroy our stars.

If Ibrahimovic was a Brit, you could be sure that say one third of us would despise him.

D

Deleted member 2719

Many other countries ranging from the US to Sweden, as well as all the ex Soviet and ex Yugoslavian nations, have a huge pride in their winning national sports teams and sports folk. Winners revered, almost gods.

Whilst in the UK there’s always been, even before social media, a large rump who have to hate a winner. I knew sports ‘loving’ Brits who variously wanted e.g. Mansell, D.Hill, Faldo, Lyle, Radcliffe, Piggott, Botham, Gower, Willis, Guscott, M.Johnson to fail. When asked why, the reply was never a carefully argued reason, instead the quite spiteful “I can’t stand the bloke/woman”.

Which runs in parallel with tabloid hacks, built of the same DNA, seemingly on a mission to destroy our stars.

If Ibrahimovic was a Brit, you could be sure that say one third of us would despise him.

I hope I have not been put in your pigeon hole there!

I wanted all these to win:

Mansell,
D.Hill,
Faldo,
Lyle,
Radcliffe

Forget the others I don't care for Cricket or Rugby much mainly because cricket takes all day long and Rugby have two different types and they confused the feck out of us at school on the rules!

I do like Botham for his passion and directness at Cricket though.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I hope I have not been put in your pigeon hole there!

I wanted all these to win:

Mansell,
D.Hill,
Faldo,
Lyle,
Radcliffe

Forget the others I don't care for Cricket or Rugby much mainly because cricket takes all day long and Rugby have two different types and they confused the feck out of us at school on the rules!

I do like Botham for his passion and directness at Cricket though.

I genuinely wasn’t referring to you.

Instead, former colleagues from the late 80’s onwards, spiteful against UK sporting heroes.

Whereas to me it seemed natural to love the lot.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Great to see our British driver continue to dominate the sport even with a slightly inferior car.

MV a superb driver in his own right perhaps beaten mentally at the end rather than just in the car, anyone but LH and he probably waits a lap to make that move and try to force another mistake first. The laps LH did after the first pit stop won him the race, he absolutely nailed 5 or 6 consecutive qualifying like laps, then managed his tyres to at least give him a chance at the end.

Great to see it closer at the front. Hopefully Ferrari & McLaren can make a further leap forward as Leclerc and Norris looked good too.

Cracking start to the F1 season...other than Marzipan - WTF :shrug:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Great to see our British driver continue to dominate the sport even with a slightly inferior car.

MV a superb driver in his own right perhaps beaten mentally at the end rather than just in the car, anyone but LH and he probably waits a lap to make that move and try to force another mistake first. The laps LH did after the first pit stop won him the race, he absolutely nailed 5 or 6 consecutive qualifying like laps, then managed his tyres to at least give him a chance at the end.

Great to see it closer at the front. Hopefully Ferrari & McLaren can make a further leap forward as Leclerc and Norris looked good too.

Cracking start to the F1 season...other than Marzipan - WTF :shrug:

This. Absolutely outstanding drive from the GOAT. Maza-spin or Has-a-spin looks very, very much like a spoiled rich kid who's bought a seat. Who would have thunk it?

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
But...some of NSCs finest alluded to Lewis being average :shrug:

Hopefully a great competitive season ahead.

And Tsunoda, what a start. One season in F3, one in F2, now F1.

Last edited:

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
But...some of NSCs finest alluded to Lewis being average :shrug:

Lewis Hamilton: What DOES he actually DO?

Scaletrix
Tax Dodger (even though he’s in the top 500 U.K. tax payers)
Only wins in the fastest car
Driving round in circles
Wears strange clothes
Goes on about racial inequality
Lives in Monaco so he’s not REALLY British like Jenson But... oh he lives there too? Oops.
He rides a scooter around the pits

Oh and he CHEATS... apparently.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003

Scaletrix
Driving round in circles
Wears strange clothes
Lives in Monaco so he’s not REALLY British like Jenson But... oh he lives there too? Oops.

According to one regular on the F1 threads who had a "really good source" he wasn't even going to be driving a Merc this season :lolol:

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

Scaletrix
Driving round in circles
Wears strange clothes

According to a certain columnist whom is not adverse to controversial thread titles in this parish or click inducing headlines on the third rate website he preaches his bull on; Lewis Hamilton has had the most ‘leg-ups’ of any formula one driver in history. So forget the likes of Norris, Mazepin or Stroll whose millionaire and billionaire fathers have parachuted them into this elite sport; Lewis has received the most help in reaching the pinnacle.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
According to a certain columnist whom is not adverse to controversial thread titles in this parish or click inducing headlines on the third rate website he preaches his bull on; Lewis Hamilton has had the most ‘leg-ups’ of any formula one driver in history. So forget the likes of Norris, Mazepin or Stroll whose millionaire and billionaire fathers have parachuted them into this elite sport; Lewis has received the most help in reaching the pinnacle.

AFAIK Lewes got the breaks because of his talent. Sponsorship doesn't come easy. Those who invested, namely McLaren or Ron Dennis and Martin Whitmarsh have been proved right.

I missed todays start due to a timing error, saw a bit in the middle, carried on with my own jobs and missed the end. TBH it was boring. A decent circuit will make a difference.

Once drivers get further acclimatised to new teams/cars we should see better competitiveness . . . Looks like a closer fight than recent years.

Norris did well, I'd expect DR to get closer soon.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
AFAIK Lewes got the breaks because of his talent. Sponsorship doesn't come easy. Those who invested, namely McLaren or Ron Dennis and Martin Whitmarsh have been proved right.

I missed todays start due to a timing error, saw a bit in the middle, carried on with my own jobs and missed the end. TBH it was boring. A decent circuit will make a difference.

Once drivers get further acclimatised to new teams/cars we should see better competitiveness . . . Looks like a closer fight than recent years.

Norris did well, I'd expect DR to get closer soon.

I totally respect your opinion as you've actually raced, but Bahrain is the only "new" circuit I like. Turn 1 is an opportunity for carnage, overtaking or both, turn 10 is a bugger and the tyres don't last long. The other new ones are car parks but not this. The one thing that's wrong with it is that turn 4 invites you to run wide and the "no advantage" diktat meant it was having the piss taken out of it precisely until it mattered. Even then, credit to Sir Lewis for only allowing Max round him at the one point on the circuit where it wouldn't count - some presence of mind at 200mph.

But, yeah, Norris had a great race.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Even then, credit to Sir Lewis for only allowing Max round him at the one point on the circuit where it wouldn't count - some presence of mind at 200mph.

So are you saying that Sir Lewis had realised that the inevitable was going to happen and made sure that it happened in a place where he could run Verstappen illegally wide?

It certainly occurred to me on the straight before the pass as he appears to leave the door wide open, kind of saying ‘go on Max....see what happens’.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Great race, but Verstappen blew it.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
So are you saying that Sir Lewis had realised that the inevitable was going to happen and made sure that it happened in a place where he could run Verstappen illegally wide?

It certainly occurred to me on the straight before the pass as he appears to leave the door wide open, kind of saying ‘go on Max....see what happens’.

Looked to me like he forced Max a little wide, having managed to close the door at the end of the other DRS zones. I'm far from an expert though, it could have been merely where Max got the best tow, but the Mercs were using turn 4 all race. There was an exasperated message from Red Bull's engineers at one point telling their drivers to take the wider, faster line there because Mercedes had done it all race.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Looked to me like he forced Max a little wide, having managed to close the door at the end of the other DRS zones. I'm far from an expert though, it could have been merely where Max got the best tow, but the Mercs were using turn 4 all race. There was an exasperated message from Red Bull's engineers at one point telling their drivers to take the wider, faster line there because Mercedes had done it all race.

Mercedes were told to stop going wide on turn four during the race after Red Bull complained. Later Max then got penalised for the overtake in turn four, which was quite funny, although as he overtook off track limits and gained an advantage it would have been penalised anyway.

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Cobbydale
I totally respect your opinion as you've actually raced, but Bahrain is the only "new" circuit I like. Turn 1 is an opportunity for carnage, overtaking or both, turn 10 is a bugger and the tyres don't last long. The other new ones are car parks but not this. The one thing that's wrong with it is that turn 4 invites you to run wide and the "no advantage" diktat meant it was having the piss taken out of it precisely until it mattered. Even then, credit to Sir Lewis for only allowing Max round him at the one point on the circuit where it wouldn't count - some presence of mind at 200mph.

But, yeah, Norris had a great race.

Its a decent circuit compared to most of the modern ones, although not sure it needed 3 DRS zones.

Was great to see the smugness wiped off of Cristian Horner's face yesterday, cant stand the ****

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here