Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
And to think that most of the objections to the halo were to do with aesthetics

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
The Senna accident that took his life didn't look as bad as that. I guess he was just unlucky.

There is very litttle to compare between '94 cars and todays. Senna was unlucky, Grosjean, whilst usually an accident waiting to happen, was well engineered luck.

Give Perez his drive.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
There is very litttle to compare between '94 cars and todays. Senna was unlucky, Grosjean, whilst usually an accident waiting to happen, was well engineered luck.

Give Perez his drive.

He’s already leaving F1 at the end of the season and Perez won’t be joining Haas, after that if I was him I’d be hanging up my racing overalls, like Grosjean or not that’s the kind of thing that happens in your life that will really shake him I would imagine, obviously being a racing driver you expect crashes but being in that wreck being burnt alive must have been genuinely horrifying, we don’t see accidents like that much anymore but I can’t remember the last time I’ve seen an accident in any racing as miraculous as that, I’ve never felt anything like that watching F1 in the last 15 years, perhaps the Robert Kubica crash at Canada.

I’m still in shock every time I see the incident, I wonder if he’ll even be able to watch replays of it.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Give Perez his drive.

Talk of him having the 2nd Red Bull seat. He's at his prime, loads of experience, and race after race he has been on the money. Deserves a shot in a competitive car I think. Albon just hasn't done enough, the gap to him and Verstappen, regardless of favouritism and team leadship is a canyon.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
He’s already leaving F1 at the end of the season and Perez won’t be joining Haas, after that if I was him I’d be hanging up my racing overalls, like Grosjean or not that’s the kind of thing that happens in your life that will really shake him I would imagine, obviously being a racing driver you expect crashes but being in that wreck being burnt alive must have been genuinely horrifying, we don’t see accidents like that much anymore but I can’t remember the last time I’ve seen an accident in any racing as miraculous as that, I’ve never felt anything like that watching F1 in the last 15 years, perhaps the Robert Kubica crash at Canada.

I’m still in shock every time I see the incident, I wonder if he’ll even be able to watch replays of it.

52G I heard, thats quite an impact. He was lucky he didn't hit the barrier upright square on.

The rear end breaking away is a designed in factor. some years back I was at a place where they made tub Jigs, then rechecked the tubs with all the fixing points after fabrication on a giant 5 axis CNC machine. its better the rear end comes off than imnpacts the tub. It's all about maintaining that cells integrity. That halo quite literally is one, a damned tough one too.

My car got crashed at Goodwood some years back, whilst repairing and restoring it I looked really carefuly at the structure of it, and the roll cage. Its a very weak car in a few places and It was extremely fortunate the car didn't get written off and the driver get hurt. literally 6" difference in impact point and it could have been a very different outcome. flying renault.jpg

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea

I'm sure he will. paret of the learning/healing process.

As an aside, I thought the driving at the start was appalling, mostly due to the nature of the awful circuit. It was on my avoid list TBH, it was only when my lad called me up from the workshop I came to have a look.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
aqnyone know the cause yet?

It’s been suggested a puncture on his right front, they super slow motioned it down yesterday and Karun Chandhok showed that a small piece of debris from Lance Strolls car, who went across the run off came off and went straight into his right front almost exactly before he inexplicably veered right across the circuit.

It’s not confirmed yet nothing has officially been released I don’t think but I think the angle Grosjean went across was very strange, the earlier incident with Kvyat was also a factor.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
It’s been suggested a puncture on his right front, they super slow motioned it down yesterday and Karun Chandhok showed that a small piece of debris from Lance Strolls car, who went across the run off came off and went straight into his right front almost exactly before he inexplicably veered right across the circuit.

It’s not confirmed yet nothing has officially been released I don’t think but I think the angle Grosjean went across was very strange, the earlier incident with Kvyat was also a factor.

blimey, i know cf is sharp, but a big smash created by a tiny thing. nothing can be done to prevent it, i suppose

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
Hamilton’s tested positive for Covid. Mild symptoms apparently. Can’t race this weekend, I’m not sure who will replace him.

Maybe pull in George Russell as he’s a Mercedes driver and could do with a change from driving the slowest car on the grid!

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
There goes the most wins in a season record attempt.

Nevermind. Thoughts to next season to get 100+ wins, 100+ pole positions and an 8th World Title.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Hamilton’s tested positive for Covid. Mild symptoms apparently. Can’t race this weekend, I’m not sure who will replace him.

Maybe pull in George Russell as he’s a Mercedes driver and could do with a change from driving the slowest car on the grid!

Gutierrez and Stoffel Vandoorne are the 2 reserves so I'd imagine it will be one of them (and probably Stoffel). As much as I'd like to see Russell in a Merc, it's not a scenario I can see happening.

I expect to see the 'Anyone could win in that Red Bull' crowd out this weekend when Max hoses up.

https://the-race.com/formula-1/hamilton-tests-positive-for-covid-19-and-will-miss-sakhir-gp/

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
Yeah I guess Russell in a Merc will need to wait until 2022 - if Bottas leaves.

Maybe Lewis can use his time off to get next year’s contract finalised!

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
Would love to see Russell get the seat for the weekend, it's going to happen at some point so why not give him a go now. Williams can have one of Mercedes reserves as compensation.

indy3050

Jun 22, 2011
So George Russell has been given Lewis’s car for the weekend! I’ll look forward to seeing what he can do!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
So George Russell has been given Lewis’s car for the weekend! I’ll look forward to seeing what he can do!

Now I am interested in this weekend’s race again :thumbsup:

I expect him to win now he has the fastest car, otherwise I am writing him off as shitehouse. How hard is it to drive around in circles if you have the best car?

Now I need to know from [MENTION=2719]Mouldy Boots[/MENTION] what Jackie Stewart thinks of George Russell :wink:

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010

That is brilliant, great news for him. Should win by a lap in that car. Actually this guy is super fast, lets see how close he can get to Bottas

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here