Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] F1 2020

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
F1 at the moment isn’t about the winner. The battle for 5-6-7 was great, riveting stuff up to the final corner. The midfield battles, from 3rd back really is where the action is. There was little to get excited about out front, but you have to take what you can from F1, and it’s generally always been a bit like that.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Im sure someone would tell me why this is a bad idea but why cant it be points for qualifying (for everyone) so there is an incentive to do as well as possible, but then reverse the grid for the race, again for points.

Qualifying would be its own exciting event and the race would be much better.

I stopped watching about 5 years ago and watch moto gp now which is phenomenal. Happy to be told why my idea makes no sense.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Im sure someone would tell me why this is a bad idea but why cant it be points for qualifying (for everyone) so there is an incentive to do as well as possible, but then reverse the grid for the race, again for points.

Qualifying would be its own exciting event and the race would be much better.

I stopped watching about 5 years ago and watch moto gp now which is phenomenal. Happy to be told why my idea makes no sense.

I think 1 draw back of having slowest cars at the front fastest at the rear would be the number of potential incidents in the opening laps, not just exciting, but dangerous. At present they get away and stay away because the car in front is supposedly slightly faster.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
How on earth has Ferrari become so inept in such a short time

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013

Ferrari's views on fuel flow required "clarification" and ever since then they've just fallen back.

It wasn't cheating, because the FIA didn't actually reveal what they were doing wrong, but they haven't been the same since. Without looking at the stats they haven't been anywhere near a pole position since they were told to stop doing what they were doing, which definitely wasn't cheating remember.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I think 1 draw back of having slowest cars at the front fastest at the rear would be the number of potential incidents in the opening laps, not just exciting, but dangerous. At present they get away and stay away because the car in front is supposedly slightly faster.

Works well in stock cars, fit them with decent bumpers might make it watchable again. Can't say it been exciting for decades.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Works well in stock cars, fit them with decent bumpers might make it watchable again. Can't say it been exciting for decades.

The seasons when there has been truly memorable battles are quite rare. The history of F1 is a team having a faster car and dominating. The rare seasons it didn’t happen stick out. I don’t think it’s any less boring than probably the majority of seasons in F1’s history. Think our memories of past F1 is like highlights packages and we look back fondly with rose tinted glasses. In my opinion it’s not a lot different than watching decades past.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Spa has hosted some of the more memorable GPs of all time. Today wasn't one of them other than for shits and giggles about Ferrari.

Up front Hamilton is too good for Bottas and Verstappen hasn't quite got the pace to trouble them. It's a shame as the midfield is very closely matched.

Rain dance for Monza.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I got bored after the safety car and went and built a lambretta engine.

Spa is such a fantastic place and circuit, a shame we don't get to see some decent racing on it . . . .V8 supercars would be good. or bring back endurance saloon racing like the 70's we want batmobiles Capris and wide arched Alfas

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Cracked under the sheer pressure of Teutonic/Anglo brilliance at Mercedes, plus MK based Red Bull are doing a great job?

Ferrari ruled the roost when they did a Real Madrid in 1996 and acquired the best driver, technical director, chief designer, chief mechanic. The so called “dream team”.

More competitive now, with the very best at Mercedes and Red Bull loyal to their teams.

Imho.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Cracked under the sheer pressure of Teutonic/Anglo brilliance at Mercedes, plus MK based Red Bull are doing a great job?

Ferrari ruled the roost when they did a Real Madrid in 1996 and acquired the best driver, technical director, chief designer, chief mechanic. The so called “dream team”.

More competitive now, with the very best at Mercedes and Red Bull loyal to their teams.

Imho.

That’s all true, but have on earth have they managed to make this car significantly slower than last year? It’s not unprecedented but it is a challenge with all the data to make changes and make your car that much slower.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
That’s all true, but have on earth have they managed to make this car significantly slower than last year? It’s not unprecedented but it is a challenge with all the data to make changes and make your car that much slower.

They were allegedly cheating with their engine last year and came to an agreement with the FIA about it this year. Details were kept secret.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Ferrari are special. It's not like a logical clear thinking German engineering operation. Too many cooks, with different tastes!

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
F1 is presently all about sitting back and marvelling at Hamilton's driving and Mercedes incredible consistency. Hamilton has never seemed so dominant.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield

As noted by others, their engine is significantly worse this year. They got caught doing some things in the grey areas of the regs (probably cheating but it couldn't be proven).

The double whammy is that their car for this year was designed on an assumption they would have a stronger engine. So the entire package is just not working.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I started watching moto gp almost by accident. Phenomenal racing. In the last few weeks ive seen:
The champ crash out of the season
A guy throw himself off a bike as his brakes failed
A bike in the middle.of the road which led to a big ol smash
Continuous overtakes
Different winners

Stunned it doesnt have the glamour of F1. Literally seeing these guys wrestle the bike at points.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Could have watched it but painted a doorframe instead, a much more exciting affair.

You are correct about Moto GP, but when it hopefully returns next year catch the IoM TT races, same sort of racing on public roads... :mad:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here