Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Extras

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
I thought last nights episode was extrememly sad. Man stuck in a comedy series he wrote thats been bastardised by the station, embarrassed at the BAFTAS, caught with Corbett in the toilets with coke, the £2500 dress... wish he'd get it on with Maggie!!

Do I just not get it?

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Meade's_Ball said:
I have always had to turn Fawlty Towers off. A series of 'hilarious' people screaming in an anagramed building. Ha! A Spanish man couldn't understand something properly. And then he dropped a plate! Where's my dinner?! hehehe

FUNNY?? NOT FUNNY?!?!? You're joking!

You have absolutely NO sense of humor, do you?

:lolol:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Titanic said:
FUNNY?? NOT FUNNY?!?!? You're joking!

You have absolutely NO sense of humor, do you?

Meade's Ball? No sense of humour? Are you quite MAD?

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Meade's_Ball said:
What i wonder, amongst a number of airless things, is how anyone can hold any of the character in this sitcom. All i can see is a man wanting to be an actor who blatantly can't act (GERVAIS AS GERVAIS) in a supposed friendship that once was tied in desperation alone and now only lies in endless falling. No romance. No hearts beating. Loss only partially shown. Then there's an agent who says things outlandish (RADIO SHOW REPEAT) and is 'friends' with a fat man from Eastenders.
Embarassment attempted to be played, but leaves me angry each week and dried without damp chuckle.

I don't understand why you're looking for depth of character in something composed by Gervais. He swung vaguely at it over the course of The Office, supported by various better actors, but trying to find some sort of infectious pretence in Extras is like expecting biblical resonance in The Guardian. It takes the piss out of various people who need to have the piss taken out of them. It got Corbett doing snuff, Richard & Judy mocking the disabled and David Bowie singing. Considering the Little Britains and Peter Kays masquerading as mainstream comedy at the moment, I can cope with leaving aside indepth analyses for Extras.

That Mitchell & Webb Thing is really starting to make me fear a night of tedious student humour shite at The Dome in a couple of weeks, mind.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Benny Zamora said:

That Mitchell & Webb Thing is really starting to make me fear a night of tedious student humour shite at The Dome in a couple of weeks, mind.

I know what you mean!

The best thing on Thursday nights comedy wise is Mock the Week.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
hans kraay fan club said:
Meade's Ball? No sense of humour? Are you quite MAD?

D'oh! It's a quote from the eponymous Fawlty, to the Germans... Don't mention the war etc.. :lolol:

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Les Biehn said:
I think you should write a sitcom Meado, it would be mint.

It would be gelatiny like an unthroned polo, sickening to the morally righted.

If i did write one, it would concern The Berts. Good name Bert. From Bertha to the Burbs.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Merchant and RG must be like kids in a self indulgent sweetshop being able to take their pick of any bygone TV celeb like Cheggars or Corbett that they choose. I can't imagine many people turning them down. Equally I doubt many of the younger viewers have a clue who a lot of these characters are.

Next we'll be having:
Gupter from H.A.P.P.Y
Nicholas Parsons (if he's still alive)
Lofty and the Indian Tea Waller from It Ain't Half Hot Mum
Eddie Yeates from Corrie
Larry Grayson
Terry Nutkin...............

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Best line last night was not from one of the comedies but The Sopranos:

Tony: Do you think those two middle-eastern guys with the money could be Al Quaeda?

Chris: They can't be. Mohammed and his girlfriend have a springer spaniel

:lolol:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Cheeky Monkey said:
Merchant and RG must be like kids in a self indulgent sweetshop being able to take their pick of any bygone TV celeb like Cheggars or Corbett that they choose. I can't imagine many people turning them down. Equally I doubt many of the younger viewers have a clue who a lot of these characters are.

Next we'll be having:
Gupter from H.A.P.P.Y
Nicholas Parsons (if he's still alive)
Lofty and the Indian Tea Waller from It Ain't Half Hot Mum
Eddie Yeates from Corrie
Larry Grayson
Terry Nutkin...............

Parsons is still alive but Lofty and Larry Grayson aren't.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Benny Zamora said:
I don't understand why you're looking for depth of character in something composed by Gervais. He swung vaguely at it over the course of The Office, supported by various better actors, but trying to find some sort of infectious pretence in Extras is like expecting biblical resonance in The Guardian. It takes the piss out of various people who need to have the piss taken out of them. It got Corbett doing snuff, Richard & Judy mocking the disabled and David Bowie singing. Considering the Little Britains and Peter Kays masquerading as mainstream comedy at the moment, I can cope with leaving aside indepth analyses for Extras.

I entirely agree with the latter. I feel i quite like them as people, but i don;t want to hear them say a word again. I'd cork them and let them clean the water in my fishbowl, i reckon.

It's not depth of character i am looking for, but any character itself. The majority of each week's 30 minutes is spent on that very subject. Then some almost funny things happen because they happened the previous week too. There is no progress or development or change. I just feel queasy and a million miles away. The incredibly'do'wells are not ones i can hope for.
I suppose i get enraged by uninventive waste.

Hoggy

Controversial!
Sep 28, 2006
BN1
Bluejuice said:
Pure unadulterated genius. I'm really REALLY enjoying this show. Not sure how much scope there is for it to continue into a 3rd series but it's probably best not to think about it and just enjoy the now.

Ricky Gervais has stated that he will never run anything he does on tv into a third series!

Ex Shelton Seagull

Jul 7, 2003
Block G, Row F, Seat 175
Chesney Christ said:
Which bit took the piss out of LB?

Well the whole "When the Whistle blows" thing is a piss-take of LB, what with its laughter track and reliance on catch-phrases and costumes. Last nights episode with the "Andy Millman" doll and the discussions about ringtones was a blatant piss-take of LB and they way the two have cashed in on their show.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Chesney Christ said:
Which bit took the piss out of LB?

Also, the bit with Stephen Fry, when he is saying [something along the lines off], "Oh come on Andy - you can do better than that. Wigs and frocks and silly catchphrases and laughter tracks...not very dignified is it?" etc etc etc

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here