Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Expected goals table ....

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
10 games in and ... well ... if I'm reading this right, we're not misfiring up front, we're shit at defending ... who'd have thought it?

Cutting edge analysis or a load of old/newish bollocks?

https://experimental361.com/2020/11/29/expected-goals-table-premier-league-27-30-nov-2020/

2020-11-29-1-pl.png

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I don't think we're very organised defensively at all, coupled with a keeper who has little to no command of his area. It is our weak link.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
So we should be 4th. Can we complain to VAR and get the results changed after the matches have finished. Or does that only work for Man United?

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Interesting.

Just picking out one team (Everton) - whenever I've seen them (except against us) they have been fairly shit. Not surprised their xG position is so low.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
We have a massive problem defending set pieces. Not looking forward to Ward-Prowse putting in those amazing free kicks next week.

I would say we have improved in this area lately.
We may have been working on it ( I would hope so)

Also Welbeck is helping at corners/freekicks, like Muzza used to.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
If the club wants to focus on the stats, it's terrible news for Maty Ryan.

It's awkward isn't it?! I have been loath to criticise Maty and have backed him all along but I am starting to change my mind a bit and it does make sense we're being linked with other keepers now.

That Salah disallowed goal on Saturday was a classic example, the moment he was through I had absolutely no confidence at all that Ryan would save it. And then when you looked at the replay he really should have done better, it was a poor finish and bobbled straight at him yet it still went in.

He's been very good for us but an upgrade on Ryan does look like the next step in our evolution now.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
It's awkward isn't it?! I have been loath to criticise Maty and have backed him all along but I am starting to change my mind a bit and it does make sense we're being linked with other keepers now.

That Salah disallowed goal on Saturday was a classic example, the moment he was through I had absolutely no confidence at all that Ryan would save it. And then when you looked at the replay he really should have done better, it was a poor finish and bobbled straight at him yet it still went in.

He's been very good for us but an upgrade on Ryan does look like the next step in our evolution now.

In truth though, we have progressed from the first season at this level. Maty Ryan was brilliant for us in the first couple of seasons, less so last season but still good enough. I think his level has started to drop now and he's not exactly filling the defence with confidence with his performances. He was lucky to get his place back after Tottenham in my opinion, Sanchez really didn't do anything wrong at all and must be wondering why he's not even getting on the bench. Walton must be incredibly disappointed too, 4th choice is not where he wants to be at this stage of his career.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
In truth though, we have progressed from the first season at this level. Maty Ryan was brilliant for us in the first couple of seasons, less so last season but still good enough. I think his level has started to drop now and he's not exactly filling the defence with confidence with his performances. He was lucky to get his place back after Tottenham in my opinion, Sanchez really didn't do anything wrong at all and must be wondering why he's not even getting on the bench. Walton must be incredibly disappointed too, 4th choice is not where he wants to be at this stage of his career.

Nope

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London

Salah played the ball into the ground deliberately to deceive Ryan. It was a sublime finish, not a 'bobble'.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Salah played the ball into the ground deliberately to deceive Ryan. It was a sublime finish, not a 'bobble'.

Commentators were saying that, but I don't buy it. If he wanted to go over Ryan he'd have lifted it

Obviously a great player Salah, but I reckon he just tried to bang it low and got it too low. Lucky for him, it bounced up and over. Unlucky for him, he hadn't clipped his right toenail that morning and was adjudged as off

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Commentators were saying that, but I don't buy it. If he wanted to go over Ryan he'd have lifted it

Obviously a great player Salah, but I reckon he just tried to bang it low and got it too low. Lucky for him, it bounced up and over. Unlucky for him, he hadn't clipped his right toenail that morning and was adjudged as off

Yes this. On his weaker foot there's no way that was deliberate. And Ryan should have done better, at that height and straight at him.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Ryan's 'luck' would suggest it was a Salah screw up.

1-on-1 with the keeper and 99 times out of 100 it's a Salah goal, no blame attached to the goalie.

The only way Salah misses is if he does something wrong.
The only way Ryan saves it is if Salah does something wrong.

At which point the Ryan 20/21 Paradox has to be included:-

Salah does something wrong, but it's so egregious it still goes in anyway.

We are talking about a team who has 5 points from the last 3 games, conceding just 2 goals.
Currently my heart is in my mouth, a lot of the time, but (I know it's a dumb ask) let's not get too hung up on the:-

'he never saves anything'

Rhetoric.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Our defence is actually the 3rd best in the league in terms of preventing the opposition from creating good scoring chances then?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here