Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Excellent transfer policy

You have to hand it to Bloom and Burke. They have had an incredible transfer window.

Assuming (yes I know) that Colunga is good then we have pocketed a good deal of money Buckley and Ulloa, let go some of the dead wood, and replaced them with what so far look very good signings that arguably make our squad stronger, despite being free, than at the end of the last season.

At the same time Hyypia appears to have turned us into a much more attacking team that is already more attractive than the turgid shit that Oscar kept forcing upon us.

I still think there may be a signing or two to come but even if there isn't we are now competitive. Any more and we are seriously challenging.

To me, the ridiculous optimists are the same side of the coin as the ridiculous pessimists, they both share a complete dislike for making a judgment based on watching some of our football and our new signings develop. The blind optimists I find slightly more irritating because they coat their guesswork in a kind of better than you smugness

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Us lickers share one thing with your Ernest. We all love the Albion and want them to win. So rather than call us lickers it might be better just to say fellow fans with different views
Quite agree.....but those who labelled everyone who was genuinely concerned that things weren't looking too good ten days ago as a bed-wetter should also perhaps refrain from doing so.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
So what we thinking we can do this season now then ? Genuine contenders or mid table ?

It's a tough league, regardless. It's very easy to identify squads who will be strong, not so much the weaker ones-except a small handful of obvious names.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Some of us always trusted.........

I think most of us did. Best wait another week before "outing" the wetters (You know who you are).

In the MEANTIME lets get the AMEX ROCKING to "LET'S all LAUGH at ERNEST"

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
To me, the ridiculous optimists are the same side of the coin as the ridiculous pessimists, they both share a complete dislike for making a judgment based on watching some of our football and our new signings develop. The blind optimists I find slightly more irritating because they coat their guesswork in a kind of better than you smugness

Yes but a week or so ago...... We were signing no one. It's as if TB WANTED to get relegated to League 1.

Regarding Smugness. We were saying let's wait until the window closes. I remember saying I was keeping my powder dry. I would have unleashed hell if we signed no one. (I guess I'm left of centre and should be regarded as a licker rather than a wetter but hey ho, this is far better than the years at Withdean)

I find it strange that you prefer the sighted pessimists, especially as you often speak a lot of sense but hey it's a football message board.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Problem is the transfer window is pan-European and the Championship starts quite early so you can be playing for nearly a month before you have your full squad.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Absolutely! Smugness in spades!

Yes but a week or so ago...... We were signing no one. It's as if TB WANTED to get relegated to League 1.

Regarding Smugness. We were saying let's wait until the window closes. I remember saying I was keeping my powder dry. I would have unleashed hell if we signed no one. (I guess I'm left of centre and should be regarded as a licker rather than a wetter but hey ho, this is far better than the years at Withdean)

I find it strange that you prefer the sighted pessimists, especially as you often speak a lot of sense but hey it's a football message board.

Pessimism of the intellect, optimism of the will. Not the other way round.

We signed plenty of players last season but it was very noticeable that not a single one of them was in the starting line up on Saturday, it was all either Gus era or Sami's new boys.

So that tells me, let's see how the new players go before proclaiming any window a success or "excellent".

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Pessimism of the intellect, optimism of the will. Not the other way round.

We signed plenty of players last season but it was very noticeable that not a single one of them was in the starting line up on Saturday, it was all either Gus era or Sami's new boys.

So that tells me, let's see how the new players go before proclaiming any window a success or "excellent".

Fair comment. However I don't think the window is over yet.

I think the reaction, for want of a better word, by some of us is against the moaning threads that were started every two minutes (Go back two weeks on this site) by the, er, more challenged members of NSC.

My point, with some others, was let's wait and see.

In pure entertainment terms, Teixeira is going to be a joy to watch because he floats around play, making lovely angled passes, and not to put too fine a point on it, makes every one of our other midfielders look like piano shifters. I'm really excited by him - but even with him we'll have to see how he copes with the long slog of what will effectively be his first full season in a high profile league - he's untested doing that

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Fair comment. However I don't think the window is over yet.

I think the reaction, for want of a better word, by some of us is against the moaning threads that were started every two minutes (Go back two weeks on this site) by the, er, more challenged members of NSC.

My point, with some others, was let's wait and see.
yup. This was my main point. A long with the fact that the same old people have the same old whinge every summer, but it always turns out ok, thus it's infuriatingly tiresome. So whilst he says smug, I say intelligent.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Ulloa is big boots to fill.

Athletico Madrid are the team to consider, each time they sell their main goal scorer they throw a different guy in and he carries on doing the business for them. Aguero, Falcao, Costa. It's got to be down to man management of the squad and providing them with decent chances. If Sami can get someone firing then we have a great shout
Your'e right....but you have to have the readies to do it!

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012

Is the point here that Oscar era recruitment didn't work out ?
Chicksen was on the bench on Saturday and its early days but admired by SH. Of the relatively other few Oscar era signings last year then Ward, if he had signed would have been in the starting line up so i'd judge him a success..
Lingard was clearly a target for the Albion this summer but things have turned out differently at MUFC than the club or anyone expected for him. Upson (signed by Oscar on an extension) was also presumably a target but out of our wage bracket presumably and clearly a big success last year.

Its true that we released Lopez (another Oscar era extension) and Rodriguez for not being a success or no longer starters in the first xi

Stephens , if fit , i'm assuming is in contention for the 18.
So overall I'd judge the Oscar era, in terms of recruitment, strike rate pretty good purely on basis of who arrived at the club. Obviously players that we targeted and didn't arrive for whatever reasons , perhaps due to the manager, might make us change our view...

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Delighted with what I've seen last 2 games but let's not get ahead of outsves. Real judgement can be made after 10 games minimum IMO!

Absolutely this. Everything looks promising....... IMO it remains a shame we couldn't have sorted more out before the start of the season, because they were losses against weak teams.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Absolutely this. Everything looks promising....... IMO it remains a shame we couldn't have sorted more out before the start of the season, because they were losses against weak teams.

Absolutely. I think this is largely down to the transfer window not shitting til 5 or 6 games in though. Suddenly things start moving towards the end & one deal means another can happen etc. annoying though. If we d played like last 2 games first 2 we d have won all 4 no question!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Is the point here that Oscar era recruitment didn't work out ?
Chicksen was on the bench on Saturday and its early days but admired by SH. Of the relatively other few Oscar era signings last year then Ward, if he had signed would have been in the starting line up so i'd judge him a success..
Lingard was clearly a target for the Albion this summer but things have turned out differently at MUFC than the club or anyone expected for him. Upson (signed by Oscar on an extension) was also presumably a target but out of our wage bracket presumably and clearly a big success last year.

Its true that we released Lopez (another Oscar era extension) and Rodriguez for not being a success or no longer starters in the first xi

Stephens , if fit , i'm assuming is in contention for the 18.
So overall I'd judge the Oscar era, in terms of recruitment, strike rate pretty good purely on basis of who arrived at the club. Obviously players that we targeted and didn't arrive for whatever reasons , perhaps due to the manager, might make us change our view...
Here we go again.

Blah, blah, fact, blah, fact, blah, blah, fact.

For god sake man the last thing we need when rewriting history is actual facts getting in the way, and ruining EVERYTHING.

Will you never learn.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
We'll be top by Xmas and we won't look back.

That's optimism of the will, by the way.

:rave:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here