NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Ignore!

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
On the plus side, the Tories will be so despised after another five years of austerity measures that they'll get DESTROYED at the polls next time round.

I wish I could agree, but if voters have endorsed austerity again this time, why would they NOT do so in five years time, particularly if the cuts are directed entirely at the poor (most of whom don't vote Tory anyway).

I can't see how a Labour government will ever get elected again - today's election result implies that many people in England seem quite happy with ever-increasing inequality, greed by the top 1%, zero-hours contracts, growing reliance on food banks, privatisation-by-stealth of public services, university fees, etc, all sprinkled with a good dose of anti-Scot/anti-EU nationalism.

Moreover, no Labour leader will ever escape the hostility and vitriol of the pro-Conservative newspapers and the threats (of economic disaster, of emigrating, relocation etc) issued by wealthy tycoons and big business, who now have a complete stranglehold over this country.

Welcome to a Thousand-Year Tory Reich!

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
I wish I could agree, but if voters have endorses austerity this time, why would they NOT do so in five years time, particularly if the cuts are directed entirely at the poor (most of whom don't vote Tory anyway).

I can't see how a Labour government will ever get elected again - today's election result implies that many people in England seem quite happy with ever-increasing inequality, greed by the top 1%, zero-hours contracts, growing reliance on food banks, privatisation-by-stealth of public services, university fees, etc, all sprinkled with a good dose of anti-Scot/anti-EU nationalism.

Moreover, no Labour leader will ever escape the hostility and vitriol of the pro-Conservative newspapers and the threats (of economic disaster, of emigrating, relocation etc) issued by wealthy tycoons and big business, who now have a complete stranglehold over this country.

Welcome to a Thousand-Year Tory Reich!

I get its easy to feel depondent but 100% you will see another Labour government. It needs to get its act together and get into the centre left ground, drop the type of policies espoused this time which havent won them an election for 40 years. Doesnt need to be new labour, can be something else, just needs to be where the vsst bulk of people are not where the some of the labour elite would like them to be. And to stop blaming others, eg the press. Labour have won msny elections with this press

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Well, lets see. If i makes you fell better today of all days then great

It does make me feel much better actually. Accurately predicted (and even made a tidy chunk of money with bet365.com) that 2015 would be a re-run of the last gasp poll turnaround of 1992 for exactly the same reason that the leader of the only credible opposition party was such a complete turn-off to most voters. Likewise, five years down the line from 2015, people will be so sick to the teeth of Tory increasingly-vicious austerity attacks on the poor and defenceless that they'll get their butts well and truly kicked into a decade of opposition.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
I can't see how a Labour government will ever get elected again - today's election result implies that many people in England seem quite happy with ever-increasing inequality, greed by the top 1%, zero-hours contracts, growing reliance on food banks, privatisation-by-stealth of public services, university fees, etc, all sprinkled with a good dose of anti-Scot/anti-EU nationalism

Given the choice between a government that will attempt, however imperfectly, to make people's lives better, and one that will make someone else's life worse, but let you watch -- especially someone who doesn't live near you, look like you, or pray like you -- Britain has chosen the latter.

We do that all the time -- look at Congress -- but I expected better.

I truly fear for the future of this country, for those of you with money to invest, go large on an extended, privatised prison building programme.
Save the money and put into health care. In ten years, the NHS will be an insurance company. The bricks and mortar will all be owned, the staff will all be employed by, private companies, many of them closely held, so that you won't even get any widespread ancillary benefit to their stockholders...

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
It does make me feel much better actually. Accurately predicted (and even made a tidy chunk of money with bet365.com) that 2015 would be a re-run of the last gasp poll turnaround of 1992 for exactly the same reason that the leader of the only credible opposition party was such a complete turn-off to most voters. Likewise, five years down the line from 2015, people will be so sick to the teeth of Tory increasingly-vicious austerity attacks on the poor and defenceless that they'll get their butts well and truly kicked into a decade of opposition.

You might be right,it will 10 years of conservative government and at some point parties implode when they have power for too long. But then many have lasted longer so lets see. Completely disagree it was due to Ed as a person, it was his pre historic policies that have been ineffectual for 40 years. Bu whatever eases your pain

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
If the Tories are anything like their past they will tear themselves apart on Europe and it will all end in a huge mess with nothing getting through parliament.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Given the choice between a government that will attempt, however imperfectly, to make people's lives better, and one that will make someone else's life worse, but let you watch -- especially someone who doesn't live near you, look like you, or pray like you -- Britain has chosen the latter.

We do that all the time -- look at Congress -- but I expected better.

Save the money and put into health care. In ten years, the NHS will be an insurance company. The bricks and mortar will all be owned, the staff will all be employed by, private companies, many of them closely held, so that you won't even get any widespread ancillary benefit to their stockholders...

The country has chosen aspiration and prosperity over a nanny state And decline.

The NHS will be fine, but i suspect it willbe shaken up a bit to become a more cost effective service that the country can afford and one that can continue to supprt the country as it has done over the last 70+ years under both parties

Northstandite

Jun 6, 2011

Black and white thinking that the Tories are evil, whilst Labour are credible and wonderful. The result - mental misery for the next five years for the bitter and twisted. Happy days.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Black and white thinking that the Tories are evil, whilst Labour are credible and wonderful. The result - mental misery for the next five years for the bitter and twisted. Happy days.

Lets hope you stay healthy and wealthy for the next five years then, and that the imminent swingeing austerity measures only affect people that aren't you :thumbsup:

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
The NHS will be fine, but i suspect it willbe shaken up a bit to become a more cost effective service that the country can afford and one that can continue to supprt the country as it has done over the last 70+ years under both parties...

The OP's point is being missed -- the NHS is already going away, Cheshire-cat style.
Single-payer insurance, and all services provided by private vendors, is not a national health service.

In ten years, all you'll have left is the Nye Bevan statues, like the Cheshire cat's smile.
You'll never see the savings, unless you're big in the City.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
The OP's point is being missed -- the NHS is already going away, Cheshire-cat style.
Single-payer insurance, and all services provided by private vendors, is not a national health service.

In ten years, all you'll have left is the Nye Bevan statues, like the Cheshire cat's smile.
You'll never see the savings, unless you're big in the City.

For those who believe dogmatically that the NHS has to be the only way to provide health service then you may be right. I beleive the key is people get a great free at point of use service and that it can be provided much cheaper. The NHS will be at the core of either in our lifetime

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here