Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Ex-mayor of Brighton calls for two lanes of seafront road to be turned into bike lanes

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Your plan would aid the west bound traffic as well, as the main thing that slows it down it traffic looking to turn inland past the eastbound traffic. Also, further east, I've never quite got why cars should be able to drive up Middle Street and though the South Lanes. Surely the most obvious route for pedestrianisation in the City

On the occasions I've had to drive the stretch from Hove to Brighton on the seafront the congestion always appears to be as a result of cars joining from the side roads all along the section past the King Alfred into Brighton. The other side of the road (west-bound) always flows well. So, it's people trying to avoid the traffic that are causing the delay in the 1st place.

Without any impact assessment, I'd make a number of those side roads either one way or blocked off at the southern end, and force the 'short-cutters' to use the main arterial roads that run N->S like Grand Avenue, which have lights to regulate the flow. That would reduce the constant interruption of the eastward flow.

To the need for less cars, and more space for cyclists, perhaps the council should create a toll zone for certain areas / roads, similar to London, where EV / Hybrid cars can travel free of charge and add the required dedicated cycle lane (I assume on the sea side of the road).

The alternative would be to ban all cars in the centre and build a mass transport system, and out of town car parks to act as starting points. Monorail anyone?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The alternative would be to ban all cars in the centre and build a mass transport system, and out of town car parks to act as starting points. Monorail anyone?
& a waterslide.

A 1/2 mile(ish) radius from the clock tower should do it.

The long term goal 10 years ago should have been car free Brighton from:-

Montpelier Road - Buckingham Place - Terminus Road - Trafalgar St & right turn at Old Steine.

Obviously there's nothing (other than money, nimbies, money, every elected official, money, central government oh and money) to say it can't start now but it's a generational thing, that needs to start somewhere.
But what first must happen is making provision for all the cars, as said earlier, there's absolutely no point saying 'I'd like more cyclists' without first thinking 'what the feck are we going to do with all these cars'.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
& a waterslide.

Montpelier Road - Buckingham Place - Terminus Road - Trafalgar St & right turn at Old Steine.

Obviously there's nothing (other than money, nimbies, money, every elected official, money, central government oh and money) to say it can't start now but it's a generational thing, that needs to start somewhere.
But what first must happen is making provision for all the cars, as said earlier, there's absolutely no point saying 'I'd like more cyclists' without first thinking 'what the feck are we going to do with all these cars'.

Exactly. Its no good being all stick and no carrot. London can do these things because it provides a viable alternative. We have yet to do so and until we do Cycle lanes, bus lanes, pedestrians areas etc will only succeed in moving the problem to a different set of streets. What is needed is some joined up thinking. Nobody would use the seafront road for access willingly its appalling, but they do because it is the least worse option to access east to west across southern Brighton. Until there is a workable alternative that is exactly what will continue to happen whether there is one lane, two lanes or ten.

All mass transport systems options are going to be hugely expensive but until we bite the bullet the alternative is what we have getting worse year on year for ALL road users.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
& a waterslide.

Exactly. Imagine a vehicle free Clock Tower Square, with tables and chairs out, bit of a market or something. Would be great. At the moment, the central Brighton retail experience is shocking. Bottle necks everywhere, pavements too narrow barely fit for purpose for the volume of people.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Your plan would aid the west bound traffic as well, as the main thing that slows it down it traffic looking to turn inland past the eastbound traffic. Also, further east, I've never quite got why cars should be able to drive up Middle Street and though the South Lanes. Surely the most obvious route for pedestrianisation in the City

**** it, people have got to learn.

NO SUCH PLACE.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Laine

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lanes

PoG

Oct 29, 2013
Has anyone started using the bike lanes on Old Shoreham road yet?

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
No need for two lanes each side as there is never any traffic congestion there. :ffsparr:
Maybe one lane out of four would work?

The traffic in the south is bad as it is....we need all the roads/lanes we can get!

Sent from my TA-1020 using Tapatalk

& a waterslide.

I hope the future of car use / ownership will be very different, with shared ownership and short term usage.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Knowing our luck, Timmy and his chums will go to Nantes in order to find the best solutions:-

[tweet]1122494070130081792[/tweet]

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I completely agree with your point about the initial Brighton experience.

I don’t think the whole town centre should be pedestrianised, but key routes should be.

The most important of these should be Queens Road down to the Clock Tower and then from West Street to the seafront. Just imagine, how much nicer the lives of locals as well as the visitor experience is would be if you could get the train to Brighton, then have a traffic free amble down to the seafront. You could get a really continental café culture, which would hopefully significantly change the nature of West St.

There should still be East to West Traffic along Western Road and down North Street and maybe somewhere up closer to the station as well. The main two problems I could see, (apart from the financial and political ones) would be bus access to the Station, which would require new routes via 7 dials and to the back of the station and access to the Churchill Square Car Park, which would now have to funnelled through that road where the Metropole is . I’m sure there are plenty of other problems, I can’t think of any insurmountable ones though.

Exactly. Imagine a vehicle free Clock Tower Square, with tables and chairs out, bit of a market or something. Would be great. At the moment, the central Brighton retail experience is shocking. Bottle necks everywhere, pavements too narrow barely fit for purpose for the volume of people.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I completely agree with your point about the initial Brighton experience.

I don’t think the whole town centre should be pedestrianised, but key routes should be.

The most important of these should be Queens Road down to the Clock Tower and then from West Street to the seafront. Just imagine, how much nicer the lives of locals as well as the visitor experience is would be if you could get the train to Brighton, then have a traffic free amble down to the seafront. You could get a really continental café culture, which would hopefully significantly change the nature of West St.

There should still be East to West Traffic along Western Road and down North Street and maybe somewhere up closer to the station as well. The main two problems I could see, (apart from the financial and political ones) would be bus access to the Station, which would require new routes via 7 dials and to the back of the station and access to the Churchill Square Car Park, which would now have to funnelled through that road where the Metropole is . I’m sure there are plenty of other problems, I can’t think of any insurmountable ones though.

The taxi companies own this town. Nothing is ever going to happen whilst they wield the power that they do.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Their grip is steadily loosening. No sense in being defeatist about it. For any change to happen people will have to demand it.

The taxi companies own this town. Nothing is ever going to happen whilst they wield the power that they do.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Not the video I was looking for, but this one does highlight some of the images I had initially remembered from when cars ruled Amsterdam:-

Seemingly it still took 10 years, global economic meltdown mass protests for Amsterdam to think, 'you know what, there must be a better way'.

I do wonder what your average Amsterdam hotelier now thanks about the change in policy. :lol:

More of the same if you're drinking from a Sports Direct mug:-

Child road fatalities down from 400+ to 10.

Last edited:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

There's only one thing worse than a town with too many taxis, and that's a town with not enough taxis. And there's plenty of places like that. May B&H taxis live long and prosper :bowdown:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The newest hot coworking space costs just $2.25 an hour, because it is a parking spot

This was the official launch of an initiative called WePark, which raises the question: “What if we used parking for…anything else?” On April 25, the San Francisco-based coder Victor Pontis, sick of working from his apartment but unable to afford a membership to a coworking space like WeWork (which can cost upwards of $400, while rents in the city average around $3,800), dragged a table and chair out to a vacant parking space and worked from there for the day.

https://www.fastcompany.com/9034222...ust-2-25-an-hour-because-it-is-a-parking-spot

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Another crazy idea not every one lives on the flat or has decent bus services.

I often use the seafront when I deem it necessary to go across Brighton and can't use the bypass. The seafront has been pretty good in my opinion and better than trying union road/new england road/ shoreham road route . If you close the seafront road the roads through the town will only get worse.

I think the planners need to realise that the the advent of the affordable electric car means that the 'car' will remain a lot of people's mode of transport.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Another crazy idea not every one lives on the flat or has decent bus services.

I often use the seafront when I deem it necessary to go across Brighton and can't use the bypass. The seafront has been pretty good in my opinion and better than trying union road/new england road/ shoreham road route . If you close the seafront road the roads through the town will only get worse.

I think the planners need to realise that the the advent of the affordable electric car means that the 'car' will remain a lot of people's mode of transport.

That does rather miss the point that many of us are making on both sides of the debate.

The city (and every other one) requires an integrated transport system for all.
But thanks for the :bounce: as it allows me to show this rather hypnotic footage of Boston MA:-

[tweet]1123700809257181196[/tweet]

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
That does rather miss the point that many of us are making on both sides of the debate.

The city (and every other one) requires an integrated transport system for all.
But thanks for the :bounce: as it allows me to show this rather hypnotic footage of Boston MA:-

[tweet]1123700809257181196[/tweet]

TOTALLY agree about the integrated transport system, get that sorted then think about how you deal with cars but let's not make things worse by further by eliminating what is still one of the quickest ways of getting from east Brighton through to Portslade

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here