Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Ex-mayor of Brighton calls for two lanes of seafront road to be turned into bike lanes

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I would agree, but they need to think of ways to reduce motor congestion on that road already.

Why do motorists even use that stretch of road? I avoid it like the plague.

The only scenario I can think of that I would use that stretch of road is to get to Saltdean or Peacehaven. Perhaps there needs to be a better way of dropping into those areas from the A27 and that would reduce congestion.

I'm the same with clichés.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Au contraire my little anger management seminar I'm am completely in agreement with you.

Plonking such a scheme into somewhere like Brighton seemingly based on the notion of 'I'm Good You're Bad' is a complete waste of everybody's time, money and is all but guaranteed doom to failure, just by moving the problem a few hundred yards down the road.

To, from and between major towns and cities the car should be king, along with with the railway.
Sadly both, and therefore every user have been hideously used and abused by every government who have milked every penny from them. Leaving us with an expensive, poorly maintained, transport network.

Sadly though where we will differ is transport within the large towns and cities.
At that point cars should be very much on the bottom rung, a long way behind pedestrians, bicycles, buses, monorails and waterslides.

The last thing people should be doing is driving straight through somewhere like Brighton, Wareham (look it up), or worst still driving a 5km journey IN somewhere like Brighton.

Manchester is currently spending 100's of millions on an integrated transport system with pretty much the sole purpose being to eliminate such journeys by car.

Clearly just taking 2 lanes out of the seafront road is madness, and sadly I'd be very surprised if the former mayor in question has thought beyond that.

But were it to happen as part of a massive overhaul of all traffic in the surrounding area, promoting the best solution for each area in question, it would be fantastic for Brighton, it's environment and probably more importantly it's economy.

Wow, I agree with every word :lolol: Except maybe the Anger management bit...

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Bloody cyclists, think they own the place.

theboybilly

I see it daily in London with my own eyes so no,it’s not bollocks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You see what you see but that doesn't mean you see the full picture. When I used to ride in Central London a lot of the provided cycle lanes sent me into conflict with heavy traffic or would have cars parked on them or moving traffic pulling in front of you just to queue. So I would use alternative routes that were not perfect by any means, but certainly safer and quieter. We needed then (and probably still do now) fully segregated cycle lanes with proper well-thought crossing points. Like it or not the car lobby are going to have to accept that just building more roads (especially in urban areas) is not the answer, all that does is move the problem further along

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
You see what you see but that doesn't mean you see the full picture. When I used to ride in Central London a lot of the provided cycle lanes sent me into conflict with heavy traffic or would have cars parked on them or moving traffic pulling in front of you just to queue. So I would use alternative routes that were not perfect by any means, but certainly safer and quieter. We needed then (and probably still do now) fully segregated cycle lanes with proper well-thought crossing points. Like it or not the car lobby are going to have to accept that just building more roads (especially in urban areas) is not the answer, all that does is move the problem further along

I am all for thought out segregated lanes, I am, however no thought has gone into any other road users, it’s another boris / khan vanity project.

Take the embankment (one of the main east to west arteries of London) as an example. They didn’t need to lose two lanes, have you seen how wide the pavements are down there that are under used.
Furthermore why have a segregated lane on the south side only for both directions, which they have been multiple cycle collisions. They could have shaved 1.5 metres off both sides and it would have worked for everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Don't panic, you'll still have your rat run, only it'll be two lanes instead of four, leaving a bit more space for those who actually want to enjoy the seafront.

It's not a rat run. It's THE major east-west route for access to, say, the hospital. Fairly important. Western Road can't be used, so otherwise it's the bypass... which is a long way from the seafront.

D

Deleted member 22389

I know this doesn't fall under Brighton, but what they need to do is sort out the congestion from Peacehaven to Rottingdean in the mornings and stop building more houses until this is sorted out. Peacehaven is becoming a joke, it can't cope any longer at certain times of the day.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I know this doesn't fall under Brighton, but what they need to do is sort out the congestion from Peacehaven to Rottingdean in the mornings and stop building more houses until this is sorted out. Peacehaven is becoming a joke, it can't cope any longer at certain times of the day.

Totally agree mate. Maybe they should extend this Brighton cycle lane plan to Peacehaven as well? You could then ride your tricycle into town.

D

Deleted member 2719

At least all the early morning dog walkers will know who to send the vet bills too ....

Cheer up, I am only jesting because the latex lads get quite excited about anything anti bikes!

Perhaps a high invisible wire instead then, above dog height but just enough to catch the owners.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
As usual a load of clueless dickheads spouting shit about something they know nothing about. There are only two realistic routes to get east to west in this town. One is the bypass the other is the seafront. Nobody in their right mind me included would choose to use the seafront in the summer months but unfortunately there are no other practical options. Some Prick will doubtless suggest some insane route but there isn't a practical alternative. It can take an hour and half now from the Lagoon to the Racecourse on a bad day but lets make that worse eh?

Watch Stat Brother or some other **** come up with some shit about how we should all ride bikes and wear Kaftans. The situation down there is crap for cyclists, drivers and pedestrians but its more to do with the lack of alternative options. Until someone comes up with a workable integrated transport plan for this town that isn't mired in dogma, PC and vote winning and instead is based up practicality and pragmatism.

Or we could de-invent the wheel and disappear up our collective PC Arses
[emoji23]here here

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
What's wrong with the cycle path that already exists and the road, which cyclists use? I'd rather the money that would need to be spent allocated to more pressing issues. Our city has a horrendous homeless problem, traffic congestion and tired community facilities.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
What's wrong with the cycle path that already exists and the road, which cyclists use? I'd rather the money that would need to be spent allocated to more pressing issues. Our city has a horrendous homeless problem, traffic congestion and tired community facilities.

Quite. DIdn't stop them screwing up the Old Shoreham Road though. Could have had one bike lane for travel in both directions on the BHASVIC side, separated from the traffic for safety. Instead we've got narrow lanes for cars, which have to turn across the bike lane to access all the road junctions. If there's traffic, by the time you've been able to get in a position to see a cyclist moving fast, they'll be over the bonnet. If they want to improve the seafront bike lane, nick a bit of the very wide prom and segregate it from the traffic and pedestrians.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

The only way that one is achieved is through reducing the number of non essential vehicle journeys around the town.

Bulldog

Sep 25, 2010
As usual a load of clueless dickheads spouting shit about something they know nothing about. There are only two realistic routes to get east to west in this town. One is the bypass the other is the seafront. Nobody in their right mind me included would choose to use the seafront in the summer months but unfortunately there are no other practical options. Some Prick will doubtless suggest some insane route but there isn't a practical alternative. It can take an hour and half now from the Lagoon to the Racecourse on a bad day but lets make that worse eh?

Watch Stat Brother or some other **** come up with some shit about how we should all ride bikes and wear Kaftans. The situation down there is crap for cyclists, drivers and pedestrians but its more to do with the lack of alternative options. Until someone comes up with a workable integrated transport plan for this town that isn't mired in dogma, PC and vote winning and instead is based up practicality and pragmatism.

Or we could de-invent the wheel and disappear up our collective PC Arses

YES, at last. A worthy successor to Loony and Cunning Fergus, you have been sooooo missed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here